Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

de roebecks speech&photo of my father.

jamesbow

here is transcripion of speech,

admiral de roebecks farewell speech to"hms bacchante"on leaving the dardanelles for england on the 11th jan 1916.

captain seagrave,officers and men of the "bacchante" i am very pleased to have the opportunity of coming aboard to say goodbye,previous to you leaving my flag,but the admiralty desires you at home to man new ships,and so probably the older ships will have to go."bacchante" you are taking with you a splendid record,especialy from your old friends at anzac, in all general birdwoods letters to me,and they have been numerous he has nothing but praise for the "bacchante"; in going home do not think these operations have been a failure,although the full objectives have not been achieved,,as the greatest authority lord kitchener said to me;admiral do not think these operations a failure,and i do not want you to look on them as such.we have kept the turkish army on the penninsula and from attacking russia ,when they did not have the men to spare from mesopatania,and from attacking egypt-also enabled us to train a new army, and whatever they do in the spring we can look back with pride and satifaction and say we have taken part in one of the most intresting and greatest feats of the war. as the history of wars take home with you the spirit of anzac, take it to your new ships and infuse your new shipmates with that spirit,the spirit of anzac may it be with you always goodbye.

hope this makes it clearer all the best james

hope this makes it clearer all the best james

James,

Yes that does help. I will let you know what I find out about whether there is a record of his speaches.

Thanks again,

Bruce

hi all,

just a update on my fathers bits,here is a photo of the brig viganella (german) she was captured by the bacchante.also a photo of my fathers cutlery,with a modern spoon for reference,they were huge'

all the best jamesimage.jpgimage.jpg

James,

Sorry for being a while, this is the list Bryan mentioned

To expand on Cell Punishment,

Index of offences suggesting the normal maximum summary punishment that may in each case be awarded.

Cell Punishment

a. Desertion

b. Quitting ship, boat, working party, or other duty, without leave, but

not with intent to desert

c. Absence without leave

d. Making false charges

g. Giving false evidence, or prevaricating at investigations, or lying .

h. Drunkenness at sea, or on duty

i. Smuggling liquor on board, or into a boat

j. Habitual drunkenness.

k. Deserting post

l. Skulking from or neglect or improper performance of important duty

m. Wilfully producing, concealing, aggravating, or feigning any disease

or infirmity, to the prejudice of the Service

n. Wilfully omitting to detect and report all offenders against the Naval

Discipline Act ; or wilfully neglecting to assist others in the detection and apprehension of such offenders

o. Selling or making away with medals or clasps

p. Selling or improperly disposing of clothes or bedding without

permission

q. Insubordination

r. Riotous conduct

s. Insolence or contempt to superiors

t. Impeding the police of the ship in the performance of their duties

u. Wilfully breaking, wasting, or injuring public stores, or wilfully

destroying or injuring the clothes or effects of persons in the Royal

Navy or others.

v. Maliciously throwing anything from aloft, down hatchways, into

engine room, &c.

w. Using provoking language tending to create bad feeling or

disturbance.

Regards Charles

thanks again for all help,its great to have you guys sorting out us greenhorns.

and again i am asking your help,how would you go about finding out why he was in prison?,i looked on his cert and he was on hms topaze at time of sentence,would need to find if topaze was in home waters,chatham magistrates cort records?,could offence been committed abroad.also why cant i find out when he was married,next of kin.should it be on his cert.

thanks again james

I would think it would be in Topaze Ships Log in the PRO if it is on file there James.

I have a medal for a man who was sentenced to cells whilst on HMS Melita & was able to obtain the applicable copy pages of her log for the time period & it gave details of the offence & the sentence.

Bryan