image.jpg

Click Here to see the original large version:

http://iseestars.net/image/2762/original/image.jpg

image.jpg

Click Here to see the original large version:

http://iseestars.net/image/2761/original/image.jpg

if you would like any more info let me know, james

joseph,all

i know he served in india for some time,possible photo taken there?.

he was also awarded prize moey (i think)for the capture of the german brig viganella.she was sailing from south america.would any one on here know how i can find out what cargo she was carrying?also on his service record it shows 26 may 08 cp 19 days? also10 august 09 c 7days?.

many many thanks for all the help and assistance i have found from this wonderful forum, james

Kath,

Same as they do now, in the chinese laundry, known in naval parlance as the Chokey Dhoby. Mind that one is clean compared to most I have seen.

Regards Charles

hi all, hope these are ok?.img]http://iseestars.net/image/2773/large/image.jpg[/img]

Larger Version: http://iseestars.net/image/2773/original/image.jpg

image.jpg

Larger Version: http://iseestars.net/image/2774/original/image.jpg

image.jpg

Larger Version: http://iseestars.net/image/2775/original/image.jpg

perhaps someone will have some information on above ships wherabouts,stationed etc,also what does cp and c mean?. many thanks james

James,

He spent 19 days in the cells convicted by a magistrate, CP is Civil Power.

And 7 days in Cells summarily by his Commanding Officer, C is Cells.

regards Charles

joseph,you are spot on,must be getting confused?.Larger Version: http://iseestars.net/image/2772/original/image.jpg

image.jpg

hope this works, and thanks again for information.i dont understand though if he was jailed,why did he get good conduct badges,and let him re enlist in reserve?.all the best james

James,

His time for the GCB started after his time in Cells, he would have had three.

For one badge..……… 3 years

For two badges..……… 8 years

For three badges……….13 years

First awarded 18 Mar 1915, Second 04 Mar 1918 this looks odd but his time as a badge rating when he first joined counted when he re enlisted.

I hope Bryan (RNCVR) gets hold of the thread he would enjoy these SCs.

Regards Charles

hi joseph,all

i have now got his record from national archives,it is more difficult to read/understand.there is also another ship listed hms tyne.my cousin is 87tells me that he got torpedoed more than once,and had to jump overboard and my father could not swim.i cant find anything relating to this ,i guess it is a sailors yarn.i would like to find the prize brig viganella cargo,where would i look?

thanks for all the replys in making sense of all this,james

Yes I have read his SR this am - what I am able to read of it! Nice that you the orriginal James!

From what I can make out he ent'd the RN as a Stoker 2nd cl on 30 Dec 05 & was promoted to Stoker 1st cl 27 May '12. He completes his 1st CS engagement on 30 Dec 10 . Now without viewing the first page (thats were the info would be on his "sign on' period) it appears as if he was a 5/7 engagement rating - that is, he signed on for 5 year RN service followed by 7 years in the RFR.

He then goes to the RFR but signs on again in the RN on 31 Jun '14, to demobilization on 14 Feb '19 then back to RFR.

It hard to read the Character ratings on that last page, but it appears as if he got in trouble in '09 as he only has been assessed with a "Good" rating which is actual fact was not good at all - I am unable to read the assessment just above that Good rating, but it does not look like VG to me & thats what he would have needed to keep a clean record. Then of course he got into trouble with the CP (Civil Power) in May 08 & did 19 days chokey, then another stint in Aug 09, so his first GCB would, as a result, be delayed - as Charles has mentioned above.

HMS Bacchante was a participant in the Battle of Heliogoland Bight on 28 Aug '14 & was also involved in the Dardanelles campaign of '15-16 & bears battle honours for both actions. & you can see on his SR that he rec'd his shares of the 3 Naval Prize Fund distributions after the war.

Bryan

Could you post the first page of his SR James?? There might be something on there about his ability to swim. On a couple SR's I have it is noted.

In those days the ability to swim was not a requirement for entry & its amazing when one reads the bios & anecdotes about these men, in books of the period, the number that were unable to swim!

When the Aboukir, Hogue & Cressey were torpedoed together in '14 many many men were drowned as they were unable to swim.

Bryan

brian,joseph,kath ,allhere is the missing page,and also the record i got off the national archives.hope this is clear.thanks for making things so much clearer,a couple of questions though,how can i find out what he was jailed for?,was any of his ships torpedoed damaged etc.he was a very fit man,he was still poaching at over 80,still riding a bike as well,and drank at least three pints of beer every day ,followed by a couple of rums.i have a truncheon(a blood stick my father called it) and his medals,and his spoon and fork with his initials on them.metal hat box.he was 93 when he died,he was 69 when i was born,73 when my brother was born :unsure:image.jpg

Larger Version: http://iseestars.net/image/2780/original/image.jpg

image.jpg

Larger Version: http://iseestars.net/image/2781/original/image.jpg

all the very best,and thanks for all the help,hope i,m not asking to much ,james

Absolutely smashing!

Was the truncheon like an old fashioned policemam's truncheon?

Kath.

kath,yes it is i will put a photo on soon,bryan i am very sorry for the misspelling of your name,it was due to the excitement of getting so much information so fast.also have his wooden boxapprox12inx10x8.medals,and a brassy tin for xmas chocalate from king.how can i find out what he was jailed for?he was on topaze at the time,but i guess it would have been in this country?.chatham? portmouth.i prob had better start another thread eh.hope you all enjoyed the speech,has it been published before?.how can i find out about a ships mascot,my father said on the bacchante they had a monkey.so many questions,i,m so sorry but i,m so grateful for all the advice many thanks james

...hope you all enjoyed the speech,has it been published before?.

Thanks for the speach. I will be visiting the Churchill Archives in the next few weeks to read the De Robecks papers, and will ask if they have a record of the various speaches he delivered.

Have you transcribed the speach? I don't know about anybody else but there were some parts are giving me trouble. (They say it happens once you are past a certain age)

Thanks again,

Bruce

James,

He was definitely a 5/7 man - 5 years in the RN followed by 5 years (which ws renewable as you can see on his SR) in the RFR.

His medals - He should have a 1914-15 star, British War & Victory medals for his WWI service plus a RFR (Royal Fleet Reserve) Long Service medal. It appears on his SR & was awarded in Oct 1925 - unable to make out the exact date tho.

He could have rec'd cells for a number of reasons & I think Joseph put a listing of the various offences (on another thread) taken from KRRN.

& he might pick up on this & provide a link to them.

HMS Tyne was a Store ship - it appears as if he was released to her briefly after his stint in cells.

Bryan

Ships mascots were quite normal, virtually every bio mentions at least one mascots, sometimes more. Normally they were acquired in various ports of call.

Normally a couple sailors or stokers were detailed off to take charge of them & look after them during a cruise.

You see them ocassionally in ships grps of sailors photos of the period.

Bryan

here is transcripion of speech,

admiral de roebecks farewell speech to"hms bacchante"on leaving the dardanelles for england on the 11th jan 1916.

captain seagrave,officers and men of the "bacchante" i am very pleased to have the opportunity of coming aboard to say goodbye,previous to you leaving my flag,but the admiralty desires you at home to man new ships,and so probably the older ships will have to go."bacchante" you are taking with you a splendid record,especialy from your old friends at anzac, in all general birdwoods letters to me,and they have been numerous he has nothing but praise for the "bacchante"; in going home do not think these operations have been a failure,although the full objectives have not been achieved,,as the greatest authority lord kitchener said to me;admiral do not think these operations a failure,and i do not want you to look on them as such.we have kept the turkish army on the penninsula and from attacking russia ,when they did not have the men to spare from mesopatania,and from attacking egypt-also enabled us to train a new army, and whatever they do in the spring we can look back with pride and satifaction and say we have taken part in one of the most intresting and greatest feats of the war. as the history of wars take home with you the spirit of anzac, take it to your new ships and infuse your new shipmates with that spirit,the spirit of anzac may it be with you always goodbye.

hope this makes it clearer all the best james