Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. John Macrae (1st/9th HLI) KIA 12/10/1918 Photo?

Ryukyu

Malcolm

I see an amendment flying towards Pen & Sword ;)

Also, in the same book, they don't identify the fact that concerning HUNTER CEMETERY, padre Hunter of the Black Watch recovered all the dead and injured from the morass (on 13 Nov 1916) during the Highland Divisions succesful attack on Y Ravine. This event is recorded in the Battalion diary.

The mainstay of the soldiers buried at Hunter Cemetery are Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) and I am sure it is after padre Hunter (the Regimental Padre) that the cemetery is named after.

Here is a part of the surrounding wall of Hunter Cemetary

Hope this helps

Tom McC

post-10175-1140219882.jpg

Here is the famous Gaelic Inscription.

My father and I bet a bottle of claret whether this was on the HD memorial at Beaumont Hamel or at St Valery-en-Caux...Needless to say it is on both. So we ended buying a bottle each and calling it evens.

:D

Tom McC

post-10175-1140220179.jpg

Tom,

You have ample proof for a wee letter to Pen & Sword.

Y ravine was an amazing feat by the Black Watch. One of the men I'm researching was 2nd Lt Hubert Strathairn of 6th Battalion.

Aye

Malcolm

post-129-1140282405.jpg

Malcolm,

My father has the diaries, but he is able to say that he 2nd Lt Strathearn Died of Wounds on the 16th November 1916. When more information comes in I wil post it.

Cheers

Tom McC

Malcolm,

Here is the reference to do with Hunter:

The information is in 'A History of the Black Watch In The Great War,Volume Two, Territorial Force', page 152. The following is written: "The chaplains, Gordon and Hunter, did splendid work on the days following the fight, searching the battlefield under continuous shell fire, and so well did they carry out this work that every missing man of the Battalion was accounted for"

Regards

Tom McC

Malcolm,

Here is the first part of the Battle of Beaumont Hamel from 'A History of the Black Watch in the Great War' By Wauchope:

Regards

Tom McC

And the bottom part of the page:

post-10175-1140372460.jpg

post-10175-1140372510.jpg

Malcolm,

near the end there is a throwaway statement that 6 or 7 other officers were wounded. I am assuming one of those was 2nd Lt Strathairn.

Hope this helps

Tom McC

Malcolm,

My father was saying that Lt Strathairn is mentioned on the page after the one that I published. I tink it states that he was wounded in the action.

Yours Aye

Tom McC