F.Vaudour

Hello,

I live in Le Havre

If someone wants names, photos or list of soldiers buried in Le Havre

I can help him.

Bye and sorry for my english

François Vaudour

Francois,

that's a great offer, merci. Is it possible that you could photograph these, please?

Reynolds Pte. Harry 11th. Essex 5.9.16 – Ste. Marie Cem Div 3 E10

Stokes Pte. Ernest Archibald Royal West Surreyy 19.2.19 – Ste. Marie Cem Div 64 8 :I :3

Burton Pte. Harold Vincent 1st. Cambridgeshire Regt 22.12.16 – Ste. Marie Cem Div 3:B:16

Hello,

I try to do this photographies next week.

Do you know why this soldiers are burnied in Le Havre ?

I try to find where are the british camps in Le Havre and I search scanned (or digital in english ?) documents or pics about british army in Le Havre during the WW1. Have you somethings about this topics ?

Have a good week-end

François

Francois,

These soldiers are on local memorials in my area, they would have been wounded and taken to the hospitals in Le Havre where they died. This is what the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) says -

During the First World War, Le Havre was one of the ports at which the British Expeditionary Force disembarked in August 1914. Except for a short interval during the German advance in 1914 it remained No 1 Base throughout the war and by the end of May 1917, it contained three general and two stationary hospitals, and four convalescent depots. The first Commonwealth burials took place in Division 14 of Ste Marie Cemetery in mid August 1914. Burials in Divisions 19, 3, 62 and 64 followed successively. A memorial in Plot 62 marks the graves of 24 casualties from the hospital ship 'Salta' and her patrol boat, sunk by a mine on 10 April 1917. The memorial also commemorates by name the soldiers, nurses and merchant seamen lost from the 'Salta' whose bodies were not recovered, and those lost in the sinking of the hospital ship 'Galeka' (mined on 28 October 1916) and the transport ship 'Normandy' (torpedoed on 25 January 1918), whose graves are not known. In all 1,689 Commonwealth casualties of the First World War are buried or commemorated in the cemetery. During the Second World War, Le Havre was one of the evacuation ports for the British Expeditionary force in 1940 and towards the end of the war it was used as a supply and reinforcement base. The 364 Second World War burials (59 of them unidentified) were made in Divisions 64 and 67 of the cemetery. The Commonwealth plots in the cemetery were designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

Francois,

The Guards Division had it's Base Depot at No 10 camp in the Lezarde valley at Harfleur. Established end of August 1915.

All Guards drafts from Britain went there before going onto battalions in the Guards Div.

Also Officers and men discharged from hospital and convalescent camps in France went there before being posted on.

in 1918 the depot won 20 prizes at the Havre flower Show and 4 out of 6 medals presented by the Mayor.

Autumn of 1915 the King visited and Queen visited in the summer of 1917.

Le Harve today.Love that bridge!

Owens,

Thanks for you help

I try to explore the achives of Harfleur to find somethings about this camp.

Do you know something about a camp in Rouelles (perhaps New-zealander or australian) and a "Bullring" at Caucriauville like the one of Etaple.

regards

François

Hello Francois, I have been looking for someone to take photographs from Le Havre for some while so you have answered my prayers. I would like photographs of the following grave headstones or memorials if it is not too much bother, please.

Dorothy ASPDEN, QMAAC died 21/7/18, buried Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; Div. 62. III. N. 6

Isabella CRUICKSHANK, QAIMNS, Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; "Salta" Memorial

F.J. ENGLAND, mercantile marine, Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; "Salta" Memorial

Mary FERGUSON, QMAAC, died 9/2/19, buried Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; Div. 64. VIII. N. 2

Ellen Lucy FOYSTER, QAIMNS, Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; "Salta" Memorial

Florance GOODING, QMAAC, died 14/11/18, buried Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; Div. 62. IV. B. 1

Elizabeth Shepherd GURNEY, QAIMNS, Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; "Salta" Memorial

Lena HARRINGTON, QMAAC, died 16/3/19, buried Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; Div. 64. VII. C. 1

Gertrude Eileen JONES, QAIMNS, Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; "Salta" Memorial

Agnes Greig MANN, QAIMNS, died 10/4/17, buried Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; Div. 62. 1

Fanny MASON, QAIMNS, Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; "Salta" Memorial

Nellie May MAUNDER, QMAAC, died 13/9/19, buried Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; Div. 64. VII. A. 2

Clara McALISTER, QAIMNS, Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; "Salta" Memorial

Phyllis Ada PEARSE, QAIMNS, died 29/4/15, buried Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; Div. 19. B. 10

Jane ROBERTS, QAIMNS, Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; "Salta" Memorial

Evelyne Euphemia TAIT, QMAAC, died 22/11/18, buried Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; Div. 62. IV. E. 2

Anna Marjorie WHALL, QMAAC, died 6/12/18, buried Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre; Div. 62. IV

Jennie WILLIAMS, VAD, died 31/1/19, buried Ste. Marie Cemetery; Le Havre; Div. 64. VIII. A. 1

If you are successful and can help me then it would probably be best if you send them as attachments to emails directly to me at jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk

Hello,

Her majesty the Queen Mary visits British Base in Le Havre in june 1917, the king Georges V is on the front.

Bye

François

post-10213-1137334595.jpg

> Now find photo of the flower show:)

Look Queen Mary's hat !! :D

François

Also on the Salta memorial I would appreciate Lt Jospeh Naylor RAMC (a 54 year old Medical Doctor)

Many thanks

Andy

Hello,

bobpike can you give me your mail, I have a photograph for you

Regards

François

Andy,

Can you give your email,

I have photo of Lt Jospeh Naylor RAMC (a 54 year old Medical Doctor) on Salta memorial.

François

Robert,

I have not sure that you receive the photo of the Stoke's grave

I receive failure message, It seems that your mail adresse is bad.

I send you the photo of stoke's grave by the forum unfortunately it's smaller them the original.

Regards

François

post-10213-1137676784.jpg

Francois.

Many thanks for the great photo. I've had other problems with e-mail from France, before. So I'm quite happy for my other two photo requests when you've done them to be sent by the Forum if that's OK with you?

Once again I'm very grateful,

Bob

Francois

I know that is a bit much to ask, but from the Ste Marie Cemetery would you be prepared to take photos of the medical staff buried in the cemetery please. I can prepare a list if necessary.

All The Best

Chris

Robert,

>Many thanks for the great photo.

It's a pleasure for me and I discover much details of French-english history of the WW1

>I've had other problems with e-mail from France, before. So I'm quite happy for my other two photo >requests when you've done them to be sent by the Forum if that's OK with you?

I shall open a mail adresse in UK hotmail or an other british free mail to send the 2 others

but I'll send you also in the forum.

I don't know when I take the others because the weather is rather bad (rain and fog).

I am happy I find plans of British base in Le Havre in the archives of the city.

Best regards

François

"Le passé est la mémoire du futur" P.Valéry

"The past is the memory of the futur"

Chris,

>I know that is a bit much to ask, but from the Ste Marie Cemetery would you be prepared to take photos >of the medical staff buried in the cemetery please. I can prepare a list if necessary.

Don't worry, no problem

Give me a list and I send regulary some photos it depens of my free time and the weather (actualy rather bad)

regards

François

"Le passé est la mémoire du futur" P.Valery

"'The past is the memory of the futur"

Francois,

There is no hurry for the other two whenever the weather improves. Glad your kind offer of help is leading you to other bits and pieces about Le Havre,

Bob

Francois

If time and opportunity permit, I would be extremely grateful for photos of the headstones of three Cheltonians who are buried in Ste. Marie Cemetery:

Pte H R Arundell - Div 3, N, 14

Pte E J Fricker - Div 19, A, 5

Pte W H Matthews - Div 19, N, 6

And, if I can be even more cheeky, may I ask that if you should pass the Salta Memorial and just happen to have a digital camera to hand, would you take take photos of the inscriptions of the following Cheltonians:

Pte E H Harris

Pte E A Birt

I really am most grateful.

With kind regards

Jimmy

Guest themechanician

sorry, could not resist asking...

during the years 1413-22, Henry V...

"During the attack of the walled city of Harfleur, The Knight of the Royal Guard, "Guilliaume Greenlee," who, while leading a storming party to the breach at Harfleur, seeing his Standard Bearer killed and the Standard lost, plucked up a young Oak plant, called upon his troops to follow a Greenlee and that plant to victory. Whence his soldiers cheered forward to the breach [in the wall] which was gallantly captured, but within the bastion sorrowfully found their brave commander dying of his wounds, with his last words begging his men to bury him on the Fortress Glacis with the sprig of Oak, which had served for their standard, to be planted over his grave; which command the soldiers piously obeyed. On the return of King Henry at the close of the campaign, his Majesty seeing the young oak flourishing over the green mound, where lay the valorous Greenlee, ordered the mound to be carefully turfed and fenced, and a slab built thereon bearing the name Greenlee."

can you tell me if this exists today?

thanks!

Hello Jimmy,

No problem for the photo of the graves

I do them next week.

For the Salta Memorial, give me you mail adress I send you the photo yet

Regards

François

Hello the mechanician,

>can you tell me if this exists today?

Good question ! It's so far from my favorite topics by I'll search and I tell what I find

but Let me some time.

Regards

François

Hello,

> a slab built thereon bearing the name Greenlee."

> can you tell me if this exists today?

This afternoon, I speak with the keeper of the museeum of Harfleur

and I said to me that nothing exists in Harfleur dating from the Hundred year war.

the existing wall itself dates of a later era.

It's always a pleasure for me to answer questions about my region.

Bye

François

Guest themechanician

much thanks François! short of visiting, asking a local seemed next best.

Hello,

> a slab built thereon bearing the name Greenlee."

> can you tell me if this exists today?

This afternoon, I speak with the keeper of the museeum of Harfleur

and I said to me that nothing exists in Harfleur dating from the Hundred year war.

the existing wall itself dates of a later era.

It's always a pleasure for me to answer questions about my region.

Bye

François