Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please dating a photograph

barrieduncan

Doesn't look like 13th Hussars, it looks to me like VIII in the centre of the badge.

For what it's worth, I'd have said it was XIII.

Hi People,

Think i'm asking the possible here but if anyone can help, they will be on this forum :D

Here is a picture of my great gramps, Thomas Hutchison Gardiner in the garb of the 11th Hussars. He was in this regiment for certain in 1919. I'm wondering if this picture possibly earlier, ie WW1 era, or is it indeed postwar? I know he was in the hussars at that time from a postcard, but i'm trying to establish if he was in it during the war.

post-9547-1136492679.jpg

The second picture is of my great gramps in the garb of the Lanarkshire Yeomanry (corporal in middle). The person who I got this pic from thinks its WW1 but I'm sure its postwar, can anyone say for certain? There does seem to be a few years between these pics and I believe this one is the later of the two.

post-9547-1136492851.jpg

Any help with this will be great although I know my chances are slim to none.

By the way, they do look quite different in these pics due to quality, but I can assure you, it is him in both :)

Thanks,

Barrie

Hi There

I can confirm that the first picture is a cavalry man of the 11th Hussars as I was in that regiment up until amalgamation with the 10th Hussars in 1969. The 11th have a website, it can be found at www.the 11thhussars.com This is an MSN Messenger site. The 11ths unofficial historian can be found there, his name is Lawson Kent.

Good luck.

Hi Lenny, thanks for the pointer. I will check the site out for sure, maybe get in touch with Lawson and see if he can shed any new light on the subject.

Thanks for all your input guys, appreciated.

Barrie

Having just rechecked that photo, I would say that IT IS the 13th Hussars and that it is not VIII.

I am an ****.

Its offical.

Don't be too hard on yourself Ciaran, its not exactly the best of pics (personally I blame my mate who took the photo for me). I'm still not 100% convinced its the 13th Hussars but i'v still to see one that looks more likely. I'v seen pics of the 13th badge on the net, and the wreaths dont quite look exactly the same, guess it could just be a slightly diff pattern.

If anyone has a good picture of the 13th Hussars badge, could they post it up so I can do a comparison?

Thanks,

Barrie

I'm not sure if I've missed something in this thread but something certainly jumps out at me from the last picture

the badge you are trying to id is a collar badge, why is he wearing collar dogs? surely ORs didn't wear them in the british army in WW1

Harribobs,

Thats something that i'v been wondering and been hoping someone will be able to tell me. I don't know if it dates it as pre/post war, or if it makes it a territorial picture. Its an area I have absolutely no knowledge of.

Anyone?

Barrie

Harribobs,

Thats something that i'v been wondering and been hoping someone will be able to tell me. I don't know if it dates it as pre/post war, or if it makes it a territorial picture. Its an area I have absolutely no knowledge of.

Anyone?

Barrie

i'd be tempted to repost the pic on uniform arms medals section

Almost certainly XIII Hussars - looks like a smaller version of their cap badge. I'd date it to post-war, as I think collar dogs for ORs came in post war. The regiment was amalgamated with the 18th Hussars in 1922, and I don't know what badge they may have adopted, but my guess would be that the latest picture dates to 1919-22. I'm willing to be shown to be wrong, though.

So would you say from the pictures posted, that from the 11th hussars he went into the 13th hussars?

As I've posted elsewhere, I've just finished reading a book "Military Identities" by David French; it is an 'investigation' into the regimental structure, recruitng, etc in the British Army in the last 150 years. In it, French comments on recruitment into the cavalry, stating that from 1893, all cavalry regiments were allotted into 4 'corps' - Household, Dragoons, Lancers and Hussars.

The regiments were then linked for drafting purposes, but any other rank could be posted between regiments of his own 'corps'.

So, yes, it is highly possible that he was in the 11th Hussars and latterly the 13th.

The dates you mention certainly fit. The only thing I can 100% guarantee is that he was in the 11th Hussars in 1919. He got married in 1921 and his occupation given as a steel worker, so I think its safe to say he left the army (full time anyway) between 1920 and 1921.

If that is correct, than I believe it may be possible to get his service papers from the Army Personnel Records. I'v got an application form here, ready to fill in, but I dont know if its worth my time or money. In order to do their search, they ask for pretty much all the information i'm hoping to find out, such as dates of enlistment and discharge, regiment and regimental number, regiment at time of discharge etc! I'm wondering what the hell they will be able to tell me if I had to provide this info, which I cant! That and the fact there is a wait of about 4-5 months. Guess I don't have many other options.