Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FOO's RFA

MParnham

Having worked out the bearing, the B A distance can be calculated, square of the wotsit being the sum of the other thingies.

This chart allows for change in MV and therefore range.

Stuart

post-6041-1138656146.jpg

I assume M.V. means Muzzle Velocity (as f.s., feet per second, lost and gained is a factor) which changes with tube wear and is unique to each gun. These are fine calculations indeed. In modern terms, "Met + VE" (Meteorological data plus the Velocity Error in each cannon tube) is required for 'first round fire for effect'. E.g. - no need for spotting and adjusting rounds.

Mike Morrison

Not knowing much about artillery, I consulted my copy of Field Artillery Traing 1914, the 1914 edition.

Forward Observation Officers had not been invented: the battery [and indeed the artillery brigade] was directed in a top-down manner. Only the scantiest references can be found: this the most substantial:

Very interesting - thank you. It does seem rather vague and perhaps rather "make it up as go along"!

Martin

Having worked out the bearing, the B A distance can be calculated, square of the wotsit being the sum of the other thingies.

This chart allows for change in MV and therefore range.

Stuart

Thank you Stuart - I am not sure what most of means! However I can see why they may have wanted educated officers in the artillary. Dudley (the family FOO who was killed) was a clever chap - if it had not been for the war he was going to train as a doctor.

Martin