Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did my Great Grandfather fight/die in WW1 ?

bravehearts

Hi

Really glad to see you had a successful search

Why not post the image of the index card here:

It is possible someone on the forum may be able to glean a little more information that may help with your search: for example, whether he was wounded and subsequently released from service. Also, it should indicate with theatre of war he served in.

From what you have written, it appears he probably didn't reach a theatre of war until after the end of 1915 (the card would have noted an additional medal)

regards

doogal

Hi

Really glad to see you had a successful search

Why not post the image of the index card here:

It is possible someone on the forum may be able to glean a little more information that may help with your search: for example, whether he was wounded and subsequently released from service. Also, it should indicate with theatre of war he served in.

From what you have written, it appears he probably didn't reach a theatre of war until after the end of 1915 (the card would have noted an additional medal)

regards

doogal

Hi Doogal

Thanks for your reply. I have attached an image of the medal card.

Best regards

Rob

Rob

Pleased to hear that you found Harry Wright's details in the AVL. He is not listed in SDGW so it looks as if he survived, although you will not be sure until you check the 1920 electoral roll or find his death certificate.

Myrtle

Rob

Pleased to hear that you found Harry Wright's details in the AVL. He is not listed in SDGW so it looks as if he survived, although you will not be sure until you check the 1920 electoral roll or find his death certificate.

Myrtle

Thanks Myrtle, I will go back to the library soon........when i am having fewer senior moments! :unsure:

Kind regards

Rob

Hi Rob.

If you have time and can access the General Register Office deaths index, you might well be able to find out when Harry died that way, although it might take a while to look through all the records. Even though Wright is a fairly common name, you might find only one Harry whose age at death coincided exactly with his birthdate and in the area you would expect. To confirm that it was indeed the correct death, you would then have to buy a copy of the death certificate, which would be about £7.

The GRO indexes can be found at county libraries where there is free access, and at some local family history centres, although you might have to pay to join the society. They can also be accessed on several different websites if you don't mind paying to view them.

Hope you find out more soon - patience usually ends up with some good results.

Marion

Hi Rob.

If you have time and can access the General Register Office deaths index, you might well be able to find out when Harry died that way, although it might take a while to look through all the records. Even though Wright is a fairly common name, you might find only one Harry whose age at death coincided exactly with his birthdate and in the area you would expect. To confirm that it was indeed the correct death, you would then have to buy a copy of the death certificate, which would be about £7.

The GRO indexes can be found at county libraries where there is free access, and at some local family history centres, although you might have to pay to join the society. They can also be accessed on several different websites if you don't mind paying to view them.

Hope you find out more soon - patience usually ends up with some good results.

Marion

Thanks Marion

I am on the case! :blink:

Best regards

Rob

I have finished serching the death indexes for Harry WRIGHT on 1837online.com and cannot find his death.

My search was from 1914 - 1931. He was deceased when my grandparents married on the 24th October 1931, and the certificate proves that.

Two possibilities have come to mind (dangerous in my case), firstly could he have been killed during the war and never found or identified? or could he have been one of the unfortunate chaps who were executed for so-called cowardice.

Obviously the first scenario can never be proved, but regarding the second case, is there a list of men who where shot for desertion etc.?

By the way I checked the death registers twice, just in case I had missed him.

Best regards

Rob

There is a list of men shot for desertion, and a few people here have access, of course.

Even so these men should appear on CWGC, as do the many thousands that went missing.

The main ones that won't are:

- People who died from war related injuries or other causes after 31-8-1921.

- People who returned home (and were likely discharged) but died 1914-1918 of circumstances unrelated to the war.

Steve.

Hello again :)

I dont think my attempt at attaching an image of his medal card were successful, so here are the details from the card:

name: WRIGHT Harry

Corps: ASC

RegNo:T/328310

Medals

Victory RASC/101 B227 23319

BWM ditto

That is all the information from the card, the other fields were blank.

Kind regards

Rob

There is a list of men shot for desertion, and a few people here have access, of course.

Even so these men should appear on CWGC, as do the many thousands that went missing.

The main ones that won't are:

- People who died from war related injuries or other causes after 31-8-1921.

- People who returned home (and were likely discharged) but died 1914-1918 of circumstances unrelated to the war.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have searched CWGC web site using different search criteria, but cannot find him!

Maybe he will never be found :(

Best regards

Rob

Rob

If you check the 1920 and after electoral rolls it should narrow down your search.

Myrtle

When I go back to the library, i'll do just that.

Thanks Myrtle

Kind regards

Rob

• 1 month later...
When I go back to the library, i'll do just that.

Thanks Myrtle

Kind regards

Rob

Hi everyone

Just to let you know that I have ben back to the library and search the electoral rolls post ww1. I have found out that harry WRIGHT did survive the war, bu tthen disappeared after spring 1923. I know from my grandfathers marriage certificate that he was deceased in 1931, so I have this eight year gap. I have scanned tthrough the death registers for that period and have only found one likely match, although I am doubtful as the registration district was Sheffield. I suppose he could have gone elsewhere for work because of the economic depression etc. if anyone can come up with any suggestions I would be most grateful.

Kindest regards

Rob