Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did my Great Grandfather fight/die in WW1 ?

bravehearts

Hello everyone

I have just registered as a new user and would like to ask for some help.

My Great Grandfather was Harry WRIGHT b 1885. He married Elizabeth SMALLWOOD in 1905 in Aston, Birmingham. They were living at 16 Park St, Aston in 1905. Harry's occupation was a Tool Maker.

In 1909 Harry was living at 13 Pugh Rd, Aston Manor, his Occupation being Machine Fitter.

I am led to believe that he served in the Great War.

Please, please could someone help me to discover if he did enlist and fight/die in the war.

The rest of my family are deceased, so I have no way of asking around for information. I am relatively new to military genealogy, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have looked at CWGC web site, but there are just too many H or Harry WRIGHT's, most without age etc.

Thank you for your time

Rob

Welcome to the Forum, Rob.

One of the Pals will probably be able to assist you using "Soldiers who died in the Great War".

In the mean time I will start to see if he is commemorated on a war memorial near Ashton :)

Hi Robert, to have much chance of finding out about your relative you need a little more information and its best obtained from family . Did he serve? what service or what regiment and did he survive? for starters. If he died in the war you will have a fair chance of finding him either by trawling through all the CWGC entries for H wright, or if your lucky someone on the site may be able to help. But without more information it would be difficult. If your family dont know prehaps the best place to start would be a death certificate. This ay least will tell you if he was a casualty or not. Gareth

One of the Pals will probably be able to assist you using "Soldiers who died in the Great War".

In the mean time I will start to see if he is commemorated on a war memorial near Ashton :)

Thanks Ashton :)

Hi Robert, to have much chance of finding out about your relative you need a little more information and its best obtained from family . Did he serve? what service or what regiment and did he survive? for starters. If he died in the war you will have a fair chance of finding him either by trawling through all the CWGC entries for H wright, or if your lucky someone on the site may be able to help. But without more information it would be difficult. If your family dont know prehaps the best place to start would be a death certificate. This ay least will tell you if he was a casualty or not. Gareth

Hi Gareth

Unfortunately all of my relatives are deceased, I wished my interest in genealogy would have started long ago :(

Thanks Steven

Hi Robert just to give you an idea of the task there were 356 men in the army alone who were awarded WW1 service medals and with the intial H over 1000. This does not include Royal NAvy Navy reserve RFC or RAF. You know there were lots on the CWGC died list all you can do is trawl through them and see if they match up with location or parents/wife details . A long shot im afraid its pointless trying to guess a regiment either as they could have enlisted in anything. A second initial in his name would limit the possibilities considerably. I was lucky with my grandfather as he had an almost unique christian name Brychan and I was able to find out a lot because of that. Gareth

Hi Robert just to give you an idea of the task there were 356 men in the army alone who were awarded WW1 service medals and with the intial H over 1000. This does not include Royal NAvy Navy reserve RFC or RAF. You know there were lots on the CWGC died list all you can do is trawl through them and see if they match up with location or parents/wife details . A long shot im afraid its pointless trying to guess a regiment either as they could have enlisted in anything. A second initial in his name would limit the possibilities considerably. I was lucky with my grandfather as he had an almost unique christian name Brychan and I was able to find out a lot because of that. Gareth

Thanks Gareth. I have done as you have suggested some months ago, but alas i am none the wiser. His name is just too common :huh:

I think I am destined for a life of ignorance concerning their military service.

Rob

Robert

Welcome to the Forum.

As others have said, the chances lesson with the more common names. But there is some progress you can make.

Firslty, what makes you think he served in the war. Is this just that you feel he must have done or is there some evidence. Similarly, have you any indication if he lived or died?

One possible track might be through Elizabeth. When did she die - was she a widow - where did she live. If she lived past 1930, she will have had the vote and be on the electoral register. This might mentiion who else was living there - then track back previous editions.

Also, check forward. The first Absent Voters List was in 1918. Look up Pugh Road and see who was living there.

Other practical things for you to do....visit the National Archives and look up the microfilm service records. 70% were destroyed in afire in WW1 - but that means 30% still survive. Trawl through and see if there's anyone likely. Other practical thing - visit your local heritage library and read the wartime local newspapers ( if there was a weekly one covering Aston that will be likely to be better than, say, the Birmingham evening one each day). You may see a mention of him joining up (if it was early in the war) or him being home on leave or being wounded.

Lots to do and at the end you may be no further on. But you'll have done everything you can do.

Good luck.

John

Rob,

Like Tom says dont give up, Im sure you've tried these but it may help.

a. local trade directories before during and after the war, he was a tradesman.

b. Absent voters lists.

c. If you find a company he worked for they may have a roll of honour.

d. There may have been a street shrine/ Roll of honour.

e. Local papers, local studies library may have indexes.

f. Did he have children in the war years job may be on birth certificate

Tool Maker/ Machine fitter is a good start

Regards Charles

Rob

Having searched the 'Birmingham Roll of Honour' there are several possibilties (or not!):

Pte. 475 H Wright 15th Royal Warwicks appears to have survived.

H Wright of H P Sauce Factory, Aston - served no regiment mentioned.

L Corp. H Wright (no Regiment mentioned) of Richard Lloyd & Co, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham - Toolmakers.

Wright (no initial) ASC (Mechanical Transport) Wolseley Motors Limited.

Maybe of some help.

Dave

Excellent information Dave.

Robert

There was a family (no details of individuals) called Wright still living at 13, Pugh Road in 1920 in addition to a family called Evans. As mentioned before it would be worth checking the electoral roll for 1920 to see if Harry is listed.

Myrtle

dear pal robert dont give up mate .you will get there in the end .have you a photo that will help all the best tom

Sadly Tom, my family were so disjointed, all photos, documents etc were lost, but I have not given up just yet.

Best regards

Rob

Robert

Welcome to the Forum.

As others have said, the chances lesson with the more common names. But there is some progress you can make.

Firslty, what makes you think he served in the war. Is this just that you feel he must have done or is there some evidence. Similarly, have you any indication if he lived or died?

One possible track might be through Elizabeth. When did she die - was she a widow - where did she live. If she lived past 1930, she will have had the vote and be on the electoral register. This might mentiion who else was living there - then track back previous editions.

Also, check forward. The first Absent Voters List was in 1918. Look up Pugh Road and see who was living there.

Other practical things for you to do....visit the National Archives and look up the microfilm service records. 70% were destroyed in afire in WW1 - but that means 30% still survive. Trawl through and see if there's anyone likely. Other practical thing - visit your local heritage library and read the wartime local newspapers ( if there was a weekly one covering Aston that will be likely to be better than, say, the Birmingham evening one each day). You may see a mention of him joining up (if it was early in the war) or him being home on leave or being wounded.

Lots to do and at the end you may be no further on. But you'll have done everything you can do.

Good luck.

John

Hi John

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply, you have given me many useful ideas of where to start my quest.

Best regards

Rob

Rob,

Like Tom says dont give up, Im sure you've tried these but it may help.

a. local trade directories before during and after the war, he was a tradesman.

b. Absent voters lists.

c. If you find a company he worked for they may have a roll of honour.

d. There may have been a street shrine/ Roll of honour.

e. Local papers, local studies library may have indexes.

f. Did he have children in the war years job may be on birth certificate

Tool Maker/ Machine fitter is a good start

Regards Charles

Hi Charles

Once again a wonderfully comprehensive reply, this forum is exceptionally kind and helpful, especially to a novice like myself.

Best regards

Rob

Rob

Having searched the 'Birmingham Roll of Honour' there are several possibilties (or not!):

Pte. 475 H Wright 15th Royal Warwicks appears to have survived.

H Wright of H P Sauce Factory, Aston - served no regiment mentioned.

L Corp. H Wright (no Regiment mentioned) of Richard Lloyd & Co, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham - Toolmakers.

Wright (no initial) ASC (Mechanical Transport) Wolseley Motors Limited.

Maybe of some help.

Dave

Thank you so much Dave, for taking the time and trouble to look up these possibilities, at least now I have something to work on, even if they turn out to be not mine.

Kind regards

Rob

Excellent information Dave.

Robert

There was a family (no details of individuals) called Wright still living at 13, Pugh Road in 1920 in addition to a family called Evans. As mentioned before it would be worth checking the electoral roll for 1920 to see if Harry is listed.

Myrtle

Great idea Myrtle, where is the best place to look at the electoral roll for 1920? I live in Walsall, West Mids.

Best regards

Rob

Rob

Contact Aston Library on Tel: 0121 464 1184 (opens 12 pm on Thursdays) or/and Birmingham Central Library on 0121 303 4511, to locate the electoral rolls. You should check if there are any Absent Voters Lists for 1918/19 and also check the electoral rolls for a few years after 1920 in case Harry Wright returned home later.

Rob

Contact Aston Library on Tel: 0121 464 1184 (opens 12 pm on Thursdays) or/and Birmingham Central Library on 0121 303 4511, to locate the electoral rolls. You should check if there are any Absent Voters Lists for 1918/19 and also check the electoral rolls for a few years after 1920 in case Harry Wright returned home later.

Thanks for that Myrtle

Kind regards

Rob

Rob

Let us know how your search goes. By the way if Elizabeth was a similar age to her husband and a householder, she would have been over thirty years old in 1918 and allowed to vote from that year onwards.

If she wasn't a householder, she would have been allowed to vote from 1928.

Zara

There was an absent voters list for those soldiers who were away from home during 1918/19. Some areas of the country still hold these volumes. There have been many threads on this subject on The Forum, therefore it would be worth doing a search. If you want to check on your local AVL, phone your library.

Rob

Let us know how your search goes. By the way if Elizabeth was a similar age to her husband and a householder, she would have been over thirty years old in 1918 and allowed to vote from that year onwards.

Zara

There was an absent voters list for those soldiers who were away from home during 1918/19. Some areas of the country still hold these volumes. There have been many threads on this subject on The Forum, therefore it would be worth doing a search. If you want to check on your local AVL, phone your library.

Hi Everyone

I have learned so much from all you kind people, I will let you know how I get on at Birmingham Central Library in about two weeks time. If I find out anything of general interest I will post it for everyones attention, and of course let you know my own progress.

Kindest regards

Rob :)

Rob

Zara

Hi Everyone

I have learned so much from all you kind people, I will let you know how I get on at Birmingham Central Library in about two weeks time. If I find out anything of general interest I will post it for everyones attention, and of course let you know my own progress.

Kindest regards

Rob :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for that Myrtle

Kind regards

Rob

Success !!!! :D I have been to Birmingham central Library today and looked at the absent voters list for 1918 and bingo.......there he is - Harry WRIGHT private in the Army Service Corps with the regimental number - T/328310. In my excitement I forgot to check the 1920 electoral roll for 13 Pugh Road, Aston so I still do not know if he survived the war. I checked CWGC web site, but could not find him. I managed to find out some info from "The Long Lost Trail" web site regarding the ASC, and very interesting it is too.

Anyway I have spent a little money and extracted his medal card from Documentsonline. He was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. I thought that the card may have identified his posting etc, but there was no further info.

Is it possible to find out when and where he served? I will go to Kew at some stage and hunt for his papers.

Kind regards

Rob