Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite Threads Of The Year

marina

The Old Year draws to a close and I've been thinking of all the great threads we've had to read. My own favourites were:

The Diary of Lt. J. Pitt

Robert Vernede - Letters to his wife

Chalandre's Mill- the execution of the Irish soldiers

Egbert's Grandfather's trunk

Des's Murder Mystery Blog

Great War Ooetry

What have I forgotten?

Marina

Edited by marina

Cat slippers!?

Cat slippers!?

Oo-err HB :o

Vernede - Egbert - Des? Yes. I'll add Will's developing blog. And the nail-biting thrills of the Tyne Cot Wars?

Jim

And the nail-biting thrills of the Tyne Cot Wars?

Oh, I dunno, James.

I think some of the best threads are those that didnt happen (as ever the case). Moderated away before they had time to make all the "remembrance" discussions seem like the vicar's tea party. Which they were, I guess - everyone sat there trying desperately to be polite rather than saying what they really felt - at least that's how it was for me. My 2006 resolution is to have a Forum presence more representative of the real me (mods may wish to start sharpening their "virtual red pencils"). B)

John

My favourite thread of the year is the one where NIGEL behaved himself :lol:

Stephen

I must have been away for that one. Although he has been coaching me - see previous post.

Stephen

Which one was that? :P

Erwin

I forgot the Sloane letters - that's a good one!

I trust there is to be no more unpleasantness about cats!

Harters - I'm looking forward to your New Year resolution posts already!

Marina

Ah! Marina - utterer of this phrase, which has terrified me all year

"I agree with Kate's short shelf life" - Marina

You also implied you knew of much adverse gossip about me in downtown Mudcaster. Maybe you will have the good grace to tell us all in the New Year, and everyone can draw their own conclusions.

The introduction of Blogs made me shrug at the time, but they have produced some excellent writing, thoughtful entries, an international digest of experiences, and a whole (and very entertaining) novel from Des, and inspired Will to write one too (you are doing a great job Will). Would these have been given life without the Forum? Perhaps Des and Will could comment.

Favourite threads? Well good news is always a joy so 'Major new project & I need your help' made happy reading; however be sure to read that before taking advice on 'How to avoid John Hartley's posts'.

'Forum badge and T shirt designs' was a subject I came to wish I had not started, though it did give rise to much creativity, and it was never dull. For dullness, readers should have wallowed in 'BORING TOPICS, or is it only me?', but things went awry.

My Oscar nomination would go to '8th Battalion AIF Diary Found!'

The Forum, and especially in Utterly, continues to give sound advice on all sorts of subjects, and as a technophobe, I really appreciate the guidance given on computers. The thread 'Genealogy programs' was one which (I hope) others found useful too, given the number of family historians on this site.

At this time of year, our thoughts should always turn to those unfortunates who suffer life's slings and arrows e.g. 'Reduced to the ranks!'

And finally a sincere thankyou to all who have gone out of their way to help me on and off-Forum, in my meandering studies of 'Music and Entertainment', and Salonika.

Stephen

That was a VERY short thread Stephen :P

Grandad's Trunk stands out, The diggers in Belgium also, then it's a hard choice, so I'll go for sitting on the fence by saying

All the marvellous photos taken by posters and shared with us all.

Edited by spike10764

Ah! Marina - utterer of this phrase, which has terrified me all year

You also implied you knew of much adverse gossip about me in downtown Mudcaster. Maybe you will have the good grace to tell us all in the New Year, and everyone can draw their own conclusions.

Now, Kate, you now I swore to SAY NOTHING about ANYTHING that has the remotest connection to what you did/did not get up to. That cake slice at my throat was a powerful incentive...have to consider my own shelf life...

Forgot to mention another thread:

'How many Pals does it take' - which was hilarious.

Marina

'How many Pals does it take' - which was hilarious.

Marina

Did I start that one?

If I did then it was brill.......................... :lol:

Nigel's an annoying git ... if he stops being annoying I'm off. He's a git he knows it .. end of. Only the Irish are more bigoted about the Irish than he is .. and he married one of us.

And his dog wrecked a perfectly good Mott the Hoople CD I sent him.

Which is unforgiveable.

On second thoughts ... line up the firing squad.lol:

In fact forget the LOL ... where's the ammo?

The introduction of Blogs made me shrug at the time, but they have produced some excellent writing, thoughtful entries, an international digest of experiences, and has produced a whole, and very entertaining novel from Des, and inspired Will to write one too (you are doing a great job Will). Would these have been produced without the Forum? Perhaps Des and Will could comment.

Speaking for myself, I'd have to say not a hope in hell...............I would have given up half way through Chapter 2.

Loads and loads of great threads - even some of the rubbish in Utterly was good :lol:

But I suppose if I had to pick one it would be the one I have visited the most

The diggers in Boezinghe.

Glyn

Hi All, :)

Just a slight change. I think for me the best threads were the ones where someone asked a question and got an answer that meant a lot to them, the ones where someone had to give a lot of time and effort to find out something just for one individual.

So in short, well done to the pals on here who have gone well out of their way to help. Those are the best for me !!

VERY WELL DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Cheers

Tim.

There are just so many great threads that I honestly can't think of one that stands out.

Lastly, I appreciate the patience with with the older forum members walk a new member through the steps of researching their ancestor. It may be boring to others, but those who help deserve a big thank you.

Oh, I dunno, James.

...My 2006 resolution is to have a Forum presence more representative of the real me (mods may wish to start sharpening their "virtual red pencils"). B)

John

Uh-oh! Looks like I'd better go looking for some sort of virtual helmet for when all the Hartley-induced fallout shrapnel starts to rain down. :o

Chris :rolleyes:

Loads and loads of great threads - even some of the rubbish in Utterly was good :lol:

But I suppose if I had to pick one it would be the one I have visited the most

The diggers in Boezinghe.

Glyn

I'd agree the Diggers in Boezinghe, a fab thread, although a bit heated!! :rolleyes:

For me, a new conscript who landed late in the year:

Compulsive reading - Egberts Grandfathers trunk & the Diggers at Boezinghe

I also like the War art

Oh and of course all the threads where I've had help and new info :)

Lastly, I appreciate the patience with with the older forum members walk a new member through the steps of researching their ancestor. It may be boring to others, but those who help deserve a big thank you.

Yep, same goes for me too. I appreciate all the patient ones who take the time to answer queries

The debates are interesting too, contentious ones et al. Sometimes hilarious!

Caryl

Oh, I dunno, James.

I think some of the best threads are those that didnt happen

Yes, John, a bit like Queen Victoria's Little Wars - unheard of and unknown to the majority, and remembered only by the participants.

My 2006 resolution is to have a Forum presence more representative of the real me (mods may wish to start sharpening their "virtual red pencils").

Meet the new John, same as the old John? (with ajolopies to P Townshend)

Jim

ps - Nigel, where are you to defend yourself against these justified (shome mishtake, shurely? - Ed.) accusations??