Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite Threads Of The Year

marina

All the Blog's (insights into other's lives and imaginations), Grandad's Trunk, Gallipoli, many others, and many thanks to those who took the time to answer my questions. I wish I could be more helpful but bow to the huge knowlrdge base on this forum.

Cheers

Kim

Lot's of good stuff. Some got a bit heated - no problem with everyone still talking !

I particularly liked the threads when postings were subsequently found by other parties through sheer serendipity. A photo of a Scottish officer was unexpectedly found by a relative as were details of a Sergeant's diary . Superb.

I also liked the good response to the Zonebeke Museum's request for photos of Tyne Cot casualties. It looks like the Forum will be able to enable contributions to an archive of real continuing value.

Purely and simply to annoy Hartley ... it's BLUE pencils.

Didn't you know that red is the new blue for 2006

J M Harters

Fashion & Lifestyle Editor

Pedants R Us - the Magazine

Glad to be of service.

I was quite fond the 'Killing Fields' thread which many - notably Jack Sheldon - contributed to with some great maps/diagrams etc.

Sadly, the images have gone .. will they return? Boo hoo if they don't.

Didn't you know that red is the new blue for 2006

J M Harters

Fashion & Lifestyle Editor

Pedants R Us - the Magazine

Anecdote. Forecasters in the Met Office use red for highs and warm fronts, blue for lows and cold fronts, purple for occlusions.

I had a very senior and revered colleague who was colour blind. He habitually chipped a lump off each [wooden] crayon and wrote RED on the red, and BLUE on the blue, so all was well.

Until the day I whipped his crayons and substituted red marked BLUE etc.

The Lord High Admiral Obergrueppenfuehrer Met Man was not amused after the mid day chart was analysed and published. I fear everyone knew whodunnit.

Those were the days.

Until the day I whipped his crayons and substituted red marked BLUE etc.

Hmmm - should Capt. Grumpy in fact be Capt. Cruelty? Nah, I'm sure it was all done in a spirit of good-natured tomfoolery - wasn't it :blink: ?

Jim

Being a relative "new boy" I am still amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this forum and the willingness of all contributors to enlighten people like me.

Egbert's Grandfather's thread has to be the favourite but there has been so much more on inumerable other threads as well. And there is always UOT to brighten up the day.

Thanks to you all and have a great New Year.

It can hardly be called a favourite thread, but during the summer Ann Kimsey was forced to flee her home ahead of the devasting hurricane that struck Texas. Ann had been doing many good works for the refugees from New Orleans until she too had to face the forces of nature. The favourite bit was hearing later that she had returned home safe, and that chez Kimsey was still more of less in one piece.

Ann, I hope that any dramas you have in 2006 will be connected with revelations about Grover. He spent part of his war at Four Winds Farm - I bet you could tell him or thing or two about that!

Thanks, Kate. Without the help of all the fine folks on this forum Grover's diary would never have been transcribed. So a happy new year and may 2006 bring blessing to all.

Ann

for me...the re-enactors who award themselves wound stripes for hurting themselves on barbed wire....or with flares...or zipping the trousers up to early!...rarely on here these days but log in and use to search to find it to cheer myself up...makes any problems seem tiny! :lol:

Anyone remember Des's PRO love song? :)

Marina

Remind me, Marina.

2005 was the year of the Pals Poems. Remember the limericks written in Utterly's Big Brother House? and the poems that graced John Hartley's birthday?

Kate, It was in the lonely hearts thread. To be sung to the tune of Strangers In The Night:With apologies to Frank ....

Strangers in the night

exchanging medals

Wondering in the night

if we could meddle

to the very front

of that long PRO queue ooo ooo

Something in your bag was so inviting,

Something in your files was so exciting,

Something in my heart,

Told me you must be a binlid too-ooo ooo

Strangers in the night,

two lonely people

We were strangers in the night

Up to the moment

When we said our first hello.

At the door of the PRO

Love was just a scan away,

I'd copy your MICs all day

and ...

Ever since that night

we've been together ..

Always talking sh*te,

About the Ypres weather...

It turned out so right,

For strangers in the night

Still makes me laugh!

Marina

Edited by marina

they wuz raps like man .. keeping it real innit

ballymena massif

ballymena massif

Is that an announcement on the size of your belly Des? :D (ohhhhhh my first dig of 2006!) :rolleyes:

????????

So much for my efforts! To remind you

Proclaim the name Hartley

As loud as you can.

Do thoughts fly to fishing

Or full-fruited jam?

To L.P. the author

Of "Go Between"

Or Wintney in Hampshire's

Fine Cricket Green?

Greater than these

Without fear of retort

Is genial John Hartley,

Pride of Stockport.

Marina - Bravo!! Encore! (you could always start a new thread in case the muse strikes again)

:)

Desmond - this was dedicated to you, with thanks for the ones you wrote about me (move over John Donne:

Desmond from Ballymena

Thought that the world should be greener

He recycled the waste

But in his haste

Put out a girl called Marina.