Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Regiment etc.

ChrisAllonby

The NA have agreed to a refund for the second card. How does one go about obtaining the medal rolls? I'm about 300 miles from Kew.

Chris.

Chris,

Does this help?

Son of Mr. Dewhirst Park, 6 Swan St., Ulverston.Died at General Hosp, Rouen on 17/9/1917.Seriously wounded in both legs a week earlier and died of injuries despite great care and attention.Aged 25, buried at Etaples with full military honours.Joined KORL on 4th Sept 1914. Employed at that time on the repair work at Leven Viaduct.Subsequently transferred to MGC.

This was taken from the Barrow news 13/10/17.

No photo as far as I am aware and no mention of which battalion he joined though the museum might help.I don't think the belt is so significant in this case, as I have seen non-regulars wear them.I also think that if he had been a regular or reservist the article would have made reference to it.

Sorry for coming so late to the thread!

Anthony

theres no john park in the 1914 or 1914-15 medal rolls with that number,there are 5 john parks listed,this is the regimental roll for the KORL not the N/A copy,bernard

Edited by bernardmcilwaine

Chris,

Does this help?

Son of Mr. Dewhirst Park, 6 Swan St., Ulverston.Died at General Hosp, Rouen on 17/9/1917.Seriously wounded in both legs a week earlier and died of injuries despite great care and attention.Aged 25, buried at Etaples with full military honours.Joined KORL on 4th Sept 1914. Employed at that time on the repair work at Leven Viaduct.Subsequently transferred to MGC.

This was taken from the Barrow news 13/10/17.

No photo as far as I am aware and no mention of which battalion he joined though the museum might help.I don't think the belt is so significant in this case, as I have seen non-regulars wear them.I also think that if he had been a regular or reservist the article would have made reference to it.

Sorry for coming so late to the thread!

Anthony

Anthony,

That's superb. Thank you - how did you manage to track this down? Do you have ready access to the Barrow News archives? Is this report verbatim, because I see the date of death is incorrect?

theres no john park in the 1914 or 1914-15 medal rolls with that number,there are 5 john parks listed,this is the regimental roll for the KORL not the N/A copy,bernard

Bernard,

Thank you for looking this up. Can I assume, therefore, that his medals were awarded while serving in the MGC?

Chris,

As I already stated his medals were administered by the MGC.....the numbers for the Medal Rolls have the MGC prefix. If a man changed Corps his medals were usually administered by the new corps.....with reference to his previous service. As was suggested by myself and Graham it has been confirmed in your other thread he served with the 7th Bn King's Own.

Rgds

Tim D

Anthony,

That's superb. Thank you - how did you manage to track this down? Do you have ready access to the Barrow News archives? Is this report verbatim, because I see the date of death is incorrect?

Chris,

No the archives are'nt online nor do I live particularly near to Barrow but the information was found whilst i was researching men of the 4th KORL at Barrow library.I think there was a man of the 4th KO on the same page in the paper and I had a copy. I have only slightly abbreviated the article which was pretty short as were most of the reports of casualties by 1916/17.I expect the information was supplied by John Park's father or another family member, following a letter from a nurse or chaplain.I am a little surprised he was not in the 4th KO considering he enlisted in early Sept. of 1914 and when men from the area were still routinely choosing their unit(at least from the information I have).I expect he was simply allocated to one of the other units.

Glad to help!

Anthony

A verbatim transcript:

LANCE CORPL. J. PARK.

Mr. Dewhirst Park, of 6, Swan-street, Ulverston, has received information that his eldest son, Lance-Corpl. J. Park, has died from wounds in the General Hospital at Rouen on the 27th September. He was seriously wounded in both legs a week earlier and succumbed to his injuries in spite of great care and attention. He was 25 years of age. He was buried with Military Honours at Etaples. Park joined the King’s Own on the 4th September, 1914, being at that time employed on the repair work at Leven viaduct, and subsequently was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps.

-: Barrow News, Saturday, October 13, 1917; page 14.

As Anthony says, there is no accompanying photo and I have not seen any in subsequent editions.

I am pretty sure he was a Kitchener Volunteer who enlisted in the 7/KORLR.

Interestingly, it appears that the CWGC have his father's name incorrectly transcribed (Denhurst).

If you need info on any othert Ulverston/Furness soldiers who were killed just let me know.

Best wishes.

Andy.

Andy,

Many thanks for the transcript and additional information. Interestingly both the Barrow News and CWGC get the spelling of John Park's father wrong. It's actually DEWHURST.

Regards,

Chris.