Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Frederick James KERSLEY - Rifle Bde

Dortmund

Trevor,

the CD (and copy) with photos of George and Cecil Kersley are on their way to you. There is also one naming W J Kersley but its not easy to identify. Havnt yet got round to visiting Brentwood Cem but will do so as soon as possible.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Recieved the CD's, thank you very much for all the trouble that you have gone to. Its nice to be able to put a face to the name.

Thanks once again.

Trevor

No problems Trevor. We do have somewhere in our archives a letter written by Grace ? Kersley who I believe was mother to Cecil and George. I will see if I can find it.

The old chap standing between Cecil and George is Frederick Charles Carey Longmore, a remarkable man. He started the Company in 1889 and continued to Captain it for 61 years. He saw "his boys" go off to 3 wars (inc Boer War) and his diaries show he was deeply upset over the deaths of so many from the Company including the Kersley brothers.

As you probably know Warley was a Garrison town and the Company for many years had links with the barracks and the Essex Regiment. All that is now gone but the Company continues to flourish with about 60 Boys in curent membership.

Regards

Patrick