Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Frederick James KERSLEY - Rifle Bde

Dortmund

Hi,

I would be most grateful for any info on Frederick James (my grand uncle).

I have his marriage cert from 1900 when he was a L/Cpl in the K.O.Y.L.I. at Pontefract ( where his father,my greatgrandfather, had been the R.S.M.

I think he served in the Boer War, but can find no trace of him until his promotion entries in the London Gazette, to 2Lt & Lt.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Firstly welcome to the forum. Do you have a year of death to help narrow the search down a little with the Obituaries, it will save me trawling through an awful lot of books.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply.

I have the following info:-

Frederick James Kersley

born 9 Jan 1881 Bareilly,India.

died 24 Mar 1969. Brentwood,Essex.

married 12 Mar 1900 Pontefract,Yorks to Sarah Elizabeth Huntingdon.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for that little bit extra. I can find no record of him in the Obituraries of the Rifle Brigade, however, if he did not stay in contact with the Regiment or belong to the "Old Comrades Association" this is nothing new. From my records I can find no evidence of him attending Old Comrades re-unions or dinners so I will delve a little deeper for you.

One little bit extra for you though 2nd Lieutenant F.J. Kersley was wounded sometime on the 6th or 7th October 1917 whilst with the 1st Battalion near Poelcapelle.

Andy

Hi Trevor,

His MID is also mentioned in "The Rifle Brigade, Appendix, The Great War, Honours and Awards"

Andy

Trevor: My source for his MID was the same as Andy's. Dick Flory

Trevor,

Found out some more about this officer, when he was wounded with the 1st Battalion he was classified as unfit for service and was sent to the USA on a lecture tour. He was requested to resign his commission in 1921 and sent many letters to the war office afterwards offering his services and asking for his commission to be re-instated dating to about 1928. If you would care to PM me I will get the details of to you.

Andy

Hi Folks,

Would just like to post a public thank you to Andy (stiletto 33853) for all the info that he found at Kew and sent me.

Thank you once again.

Trevor

Trevor,

You are welcome, glad that I could find out a little more for you.

Andy

Hi,

I would be most grateful for any info on Frederick James (my grand uncle).

Trevor

Trevor,

do you know anything about his children? I have a record of Cecil and George Kersley of Warley (Brentwood) both of whom died in the 2WW. Could they have been his sons?

Patrick

Patrick,

The children George b.1910 d.1944 & Cecil b.1911. d.1944 were the sons of Frederick James Kersley b. 1881 India, this F. J. was my grand uncle.

Frederick James b.1889. d.1954 (lt Rifle Bde) & William Charles B.1892 d.1918 Somme. are the sons of Henry Charles Kersley who was my great grand uncle.

If you have any info on George & Cecil I would appreciate anything.

Trevor

Trevor, how interesting. I run the Boy's Brigade Company in Warley and the Kersely brothers were Officers in that Company before their war service. We have a number of photographs of them in our archives and our old Hall (now demolished) was named after one of the brothers (cannot remember which).

I believe one of them died as a Japanese prisoner of war, I dont have the archoives in front of me so I am going from memory.

They were clearly very popular and their deaths had quite an effect on the Company.

Let me know if you would like any more information

Regards

Patrick

For some reason my post above did not bring the thread back?? So posting again

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your info, I would appreciate any info or copies of photo's that you might have in the archives. It was Cecil who died in the Far East, he was on a hospital ship enroute to Japan when it was sunk and is remembered on the Singapore War Memorial. A friend of mine is the god child of Ivy who was Cecil's wife.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

I will look out what i can for you but it might take me a little while since I dont keep the archives myself.

I am a bit confused about Frederick James kersley. You have him as died at Brentwood 1969. Is he buried in Brentwood or Warley?

Regards

Patrick

Trevor, I see by your signature reference to Gamble. There has been at least one thread on that name and I believe it might have been a discussion on the Gt Dunmow War Memorial. If you run a search on the name it should bring something up.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

No problem on any thing from your archives, on Frederick James I got the info from the Cemeteries Suppervisor at London Rd Cemetery Brentwood, but she could have mixed the name with his son William James who died in 1956.

Trevor

Okay Trevor, I will have a look next time i am over there. Do you have a grave ref no which might help me

pATRICK

• 1 month later...
Hi Trevor,

I will look out what i can for you but it might take me a little while since I dont keep the archives myself.

I am a bit confused about Frederick James kersley. You have him as died at Brentwood 1969. Is he buried in Brentwood or Warley?

Regards

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I was wondering if you had been able to find anything in the archives yet.

Trevor

Hi Trevor, my apologies I havnt got round to that yet. I think someone has borrowed the relevant album of photos but I will find out Wednesday and let you know. If you pm me your address I will send you copies. I know we have several copies of the Kersley brothers, there is also diary entries of the Captain F C Carey Longmore referring to them.

Patrick