Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Accommodation In Ieper

Mr_Sunray

Hi Pals,

I checked with Expedia yesterday, to see if the Novotel Ieper had any vacancies for the w/c 22/05/06. For that week they're fully booked up! All 122 rooms. I'm planning a visit to Ieper around this time. I have contacted the Hotel Ariane, who have said they do have vacancies so I'm not panicking (yet).

Now is this usual for the time of year?

Also, personal recommendations would be welcome. I want to stay as near to Grote Marks as is posssible but be able to park my car - not in the square!

Steve

Guest Simon Bull

I had trouble getting dates in May next year at the Campanile in Arras when I booked a couple of months ago. I thought it was odd, but this is consistent with your experience.

Steve

I always stay at the Ariane. 5 minutes walk to the Grote Markt. Parking. Good breakfast. Very reasonable rates for a quality (but friendly) hotel.

John

I stayed at the B&B Hortensia and had a great experience. It is a little further from the Grote Markt (7-10 mins walking) but parking is no problem. It is also close to the train station and Lille Gate. I would highly recommend it.

Andy

I too always stay at the Ariane and would not consider another hotel. When it has been booked up we cancel the trip rather than stay anywhere else.

This is not too denigrate any of the other hotels in Ieper which I'm sure are comfortable well-run establishments.

I just wouldn't miss the Ariane as its so friendly - it feels like going home every time.

Mike

The Cat festival in Ieper is on May 14th next year.

Making it part of the visit this time but have had to book a hotel in Pop as everything in Ieper seems to be full.

With respect, you forgot to say that the food is not half bad either.

I also usually stay at the Ariane, and echo the positive comments of others. I've also stayed at the Albion, and whilst smaller and without a restaraunt, I found it OK. It is very close to the Menin Gate, and in a fairly quiet location.

Alan

I have stayed at The Old Tom twice this year and have found it to be absolutely fine.

Regards

Glyn

We now always stay at the Ariane, if it is available. Last year we went before Christmas and it was closed, so stayed at the Regina. That is a weird place, a dark labyrinth with time switch lights and uneven floors. My wife nearly injured herself badly when the lights went out as she was going up a corridor and she walked straight into a full-length mirror on the wall. Not very impressed. Never stayed at the Novotel but it seems very expensive compared to the Ariane. Food at the Ariane in the Summer was fantastic. Our friends, who had never stayed there before were extremely impressed and chose to eat there on the last night rather than in the Grote Markt

I really like Ariane Mark but have found all the Grote Markt restaurants better for food and atmosphere. I also did ok at Regina and Sultan but about 10 years ago.

If you don't mind a very short drive I'd recommend the Hooge Chateau Hotel Kasteelhof t' Hooge

http://www.hotelkasteelhofthooghe.be/

Good rates, in the middle of a battlefield, block house by the patio and lake made from Mine craters. Two museums on the doorstep and --- Oh - grenades in the dining room.

Home from home really.

Gunner Bailey

Hi

Try Peter Morris at 'The Rum Jar' on Elverdingestraat, just off the main square in Ypres. 5 mins walk.

Excellent guy, ex-Pat, nice rooms, full English breakfast, good rates.

Whenever we go there, in a small party, we know stop there.

you can email him at : peter.morris@telenet.be

Highly recommend.

Many thanks

Marc.

We always try to stay at the Ariane, having always found it to be first class. Have stayed in a number of different hotels over the years in Ieper and have never had cause for complaint.

If you don't mind a very short drive I'd recommend the Hooge Chateau Hotel Kasteelhof t' Hooge

http://www.hotelkasteelhofthooghe.be/

Good rates, in the middle of a battlefield, block house by the patio and lake made from Mine craters. Two museums on the doorstep and --- Oh - grenades in the dining room.

Home from home really.

Gunner Bailey

I don't usually stay in a hotel or B&B when I visit, but when I have done, I've made sure it was the Kasteelhof for the past 4 or 5 years. I've stayed in many of the Ypres hotels over the years, but I find this to be by far my favourite. (I also liked the "Old Tom" and have stayed there a few times, but that might be because of fond memories there)

Personally, I didn't like the Ariane all that much to be honest. I found it rather impersonal and a little stifling (and, comparitively, expensive).

Dave.

I stayed at the B&B Hortensia and had a great experience. It is a little further from the Grote Markt (7-10 mins walking) but parking is no problem. It is also close to the train station and Lille Gate. I would highly recommend it.

Andy

I have stayed here and would recommend it, also not forgetting it is only a stones throw from the ramparts and the peace beer!!!!!

I've stayed at the Novotel - very comfortable - and also at the Hortensia which was fine and, as Steve says, handy for the Peace Beer. But my first choice is still Varlet Farm and my wife and I are booked in there for our next visit.

Tom

But my first choice is still Varlet Farm and my wife and I are booked in there for our next visit.

Tom

My first choice too Tom, but it is nice to stay in Ieper once in awhile especially as my missus doesn't drive

Any ruffy tuffty types might want to try here

http://www.jeugdstadion.be/

Its a camp site it's 1km (a short walk in old money) from Ypres centre.

I'm booked in for June 2006 :D

Any ruffy tuffty types might want to try here

http://www.jeugdstadion.be/

Its a camp site it's 1km (a short walk in old money) from Ypres centre.

I'm booked in for June 2006 :D

Graham,

We stopped at that campsite ourselves a couple of years ago, albeit in a campervan. Perfectly acceptable with no complaints but I must confess, having stopped at Varlet Farm with the Pals Tour last year the farm gets my vote now.

Roy