Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Legion of Frontiersmen

Broznitsky

Colb

These are the details I've got in my records for the 25th Royal Fusiliers for your Great Grandfather:

GS/13301 Private Charles Ernest Bryant.

Enlisted 1st March 1915

Served Overseas in East Africa from 10th April 1915 to 22nd September 1915.

Discharged 21st March 1916 according to Para.392 (xvi) K.R. (No longer physically fit for service).

Discharge was down to Sickness (this was commonplace for men of the 25th due to the unhealthy climate).

Awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal & Silver War Badge (No. 51669).

Listed on Medal Roll (NA Reference) WO329/2634 (1914-15 Star), WO329/763 (British War Medal & Victory Medal) & WO329/3038 (Silver War Badge).

Hope this helps.

Steve

thanks Steve,

I've got his actual medals and a copy of the WW1 medal records card but that is all. Only recently started this interest and don't even know my great grandmother's christian name so would be interested to find next of kin and address in UK type information. Any idea where I might find this? I understand the microfilm records at Kew are 'fire damaged'. I'm in Yorkshire so not sure that a trip to Kew would be worthwhile although there may also be some pension records - any tips or guidance would be appreciated.

Between 1905 and 1915 my ggf and family were in Canada where the Legion was active. I've contacted the legion here and there by email and got a friendly response but no leads.

Colin

Colin

I've got his actual medals and a copy of the WW1 medal records card but that is all.

I can let you have images of his actual entries in the medal rolls if you want, if so just pm/email me your address and I'll send them.

would be interested to find next of kin and address in UK type information. Any idea where I might find this? I understand the microfilm records at Kew are 'fire damaged'. I'm in Yorkshire so not sure that a trip to Kew would be worthwhile although there may also be some pension records - any tips or guidance would be appreciated.

As he survived and was discharged the only place I'm aware of to find next of kin details etc. is to see if his service record survives, as you suggest some are 'fire damaged' (WO363 'burnt' series) but others for pensions etc. are not (WO364 'unburnt' series and PIN26).

A trip from Yorkshire to Kew, just to see if they are available, could be a wasted journey, if you're not in any hurry I could look to see if they exist when I go next, although I haven't a firm idea as to when that will be.

Regards

Steve

Hi

Many Frontiersman ended up in ,I think 2 CMR off hand . The formal uniform came poat war ,as far as I know . You have to a sunject of the Brittish Empire to be a mwmber.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Legion of Frontiersmen Discussion Forum

Legion-of-frontiersmen.co.uk - Countess Mountbattens Own

This is a new discussion forum specific to Legion of Frontiersmen of the Commonwealth which first formed as a private, volunteer organization with chapters in the Dominions and with the purpose of providing mounted scouts for the British Army. Legion of Frontiersmen (Countess Mountbatten's Own - named for the Patron, this title applies to original Legion and not autonomous divisions and commands) There are some 25 members and the 250 postings in this discussion forum tend to be related to current events of organisational activities. [May 2006]

http://legion-of-frontiersmen.co.uk/phpbb/

Twelve men from the Legion of Frontiersmen in Fiji joined the Advance party of the NZ Samoan Expeditionary Force, on its way to German Samoa, in August 1914. They became part of the Auckland Regiment, and were in the initial party to land in Samoa, when the entire country was captured without a shot being fired

Since they were also in the Belgian army right from the beginning of the war, see earlier post, it could be claimed that WW1 started between the Germans and the Legion of Frontiersmen! :lol:

• 2 years later...

I resurrect this antient thread to add a description of the activities of the Frontiersmen in Edmonton in 1916. This notice is from the Morning Bulletin of 7th February, 1917. Notice the patriotic amaturism of the over-the-top prose. This organization was not part of the military, nor was it completely independent. They could not have existed without the approval, and even support, of the authorities, but there was no official connection.

MILITARY NEWS

What can be said for the able-bodied man, who, at this time

of crisis, refuses to sacrifice some leisure time to make

himself familiar with a soldier's duties? In what way is he

different from the man who sits comfortably at ease while a

raging fire getting befond the control of the fire brigade and

volunteer fighters, works its way outward and threatens the

safety of his home and family? The facilities for training

afforded by the Frontiersmen and other local military bodies

removes all excuse any citizen might advance for leaving the

work of preparation to the other fellow. The South Side

command of Frontiersmen invite all who live on the South Side,

and are not drilling with any other unit, to 'fall in' on

Monday and Wednesday night of each week at 8 o'clock at King

Edward school. Competent and gentlemanly instructors will take

charge of recruits.

The officers training class at King Edward school have

covered squad drill and are now taking up squad drill with

arms. On Tuesday evening next at 8 o'clock, they will cover

sections 55 to 74 inclusive, Infantry Training, 1914, except

those sections referring to movements with bayonets and piling

and unpiling arms. Major Hill-Male, who holds a certificate as

musketry instructor from Wellington barracks, will lecture on

the Theory of Rifle Fire. The War Office text-book "Musketry

Training" is to be studied in this connection.

On Monday night recruit drill will be taken by all members of

the class who are not proficient in the movements of squad

drill. Recruit drill will also be practiced on Wednesday night

at 8 o'clock. New recruits who desire to take up the drill

will be welcomed on Monday and Wednesday nights. For those

recruits who desire to take officers' training, provision will

probably be made later, the present class have its full

complement and being well advanced on its course.

• 5 years later...

Hello, All!

I'm trying to find information on my grandfather, Stanley Cavendish Valentine Traill, who sailed to England from Ceylon (he was a tea planter) as soon as war was declared in 1914. He joined the Royal Fusiliers, Legion of Frontiersmen and was sent out to the East Africa Campaign. He served with Frederik Selous, Pretorious, Cherry Kearton, Denys Finch-Hatton and Francis Brett-Young. His greatest friend was Lieutenant Wilbur 'Billy' Dartnell, who was apparently awarded a posthumous VC after carrying severely wounded personnel to safety after a mounted infantry engagement in Maktau.

If anyone can shed any more light on the Legion of Frontiersmen, or any of the men with whom my grandfather served, I'd be more than grateful. Thank you!