Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Which Unit

KevinW

Roop

I have not seen other types of roll other than the that shown by Mark . Do you have an example of a different type please??

The 1st image is from the RGA Pembroke War Medal Roll, its only a small slice but they follow the same layout.

The 2nd is for the same man from the Territorial Force War medal roll which as I mentioned all give last serving battery.

Any which appear on the Medal Roll with a cross have entries in the TFWM roll. They also note SWB (silver war badges). They use a coding down the side of each entry ie. OME which has me baffled.

Stuart

post-6041-1134085416.jpg

Roop

TFWM roll entry for the same man.

The War Medal roll has, at the very end, a handfull of men who were in other regiments prior to being draughted into the RGA only in these instances is their previous regiment/serial no. noted. If they were in the RGA and moved between batteries this is not noted.

Stuart

post-6041-1134086648.jpg

post-6633-1134069923.jpg

This Medal Roll appears to have the heading crossed out - at least that 's what I think it looks like?. Does that mean that this is the unit that these men were with on 11/11/1918 - i.e. J McLoughlin and the others with Base Details were back in the UK on 11/11/1918 after their unit was wound up or what do you make of it.

Incidentally my grandfather claims to have served with Coastal Batteries, heavy and trench mortar batteries during the war - which from I think you are saying would have been with the same HAG or Division (without getting too much into the way the RGA were assigned throughout the war...

Mark

Hi Everyone, to piggyback on to this subject, I'm trying to find a relative in the 151st Heavy Bty of the RGA Corporal no. 6622 & 295984 Wilfred Cornelius Leonard, who was commissioned 1.9.17. He was born 1892 in Cambridgeshire and went to France in June 1916. When is he likley to have enlisted and does anyone know the whereabouts of the 151st HB between 1914 and 1918 ?

Regards Peter

Peter

""295984 Wilfred Cornelius Leonard, who was commissioned 1.9.17""

WO 339/119611 LEONARD W [1914-1922

This is the file ref for Officers papers held at the NA Kew for a W Leonard. There are W. F. & C Leonards listed but this would seem the most likely. They do quite often omit a middle initial. The amount of info in these files varies but they can be quite enlightening.

Stuart

Stuart,

Thanks for posting the MRs, I havnt come acroos any with such detail to date. Very good arn't they.

Peter,

The 6 digit number would certainly infer 151HB Durham/Darlington post 1917. Given his other number and place of birth it may be that he served in other batteries before that.

Roop

Peter

""295984 Wilfred Cornelius Leonard, who was commissioned 1.9.17""

WO 339/119611 LEONARD W [1914-1922

This is the file ref for Officers papers held at the NA Kew for a W Leonard. There are W. F. & C Leonards listed but this would seem the most likely. They do quite often omit a middle initial. The amount of info in these files varies but they can be quite enlightening.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, very helpful. Regards Peter