Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses Knocker and Chisholm

marina

Jim, there's a couple of "details of sale [property]" notices in the Times for the late 1870s for the Dunmow solicitors Wade and Knocker.

Essex Record Office http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/%5CLogin.asp?Start=False&ERO=2 have a couple of documents with William Wheatley Knocker's name on them (inc as a trustee of Dunmow's Guild hall).

Wade (and something - can't remember the something) still exists in the High St in Dunmow - I walked past their building this morning!

Kate

It's like bumping into the past! The thing I like about hearing these anecdotes is that thew ar doesn;t seem so far away and mythical when you can see buildings etxc. If that makes sense...

Marina

It's like bumping into the past! The thing I like about hearing these anecdotes is that thew ar doesn;t seem so far away and mythical when you can see buildings etxc. If that makes sense...

Marina

But don't you just want to reach into the past and grab it by it's neck and pull it into "now" so you can ask all the questions!

Buildings are fantastic - real tangible evidence of the past!

Kate

Yes, that's true. A friend of mine recently visited King's Lynn and I asked her to take a photo of a street where my great grandfather lived. Can't wait to see it even if it is all modern now!

Marina

Jim, there's a couple of "details of sale [property]" notices in the Times for the late 1870s for the Dunmow solicitors Wade and Knocker.

Essex Record Office http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/%5CLogin.asp?Start=False&ERO=2 have a couple of documents with William Wheatley Knocker's name on them (inc as a trustee of Dunmow's Guild hall).

Wade (and something - can't remember the something) still exists in the High St in Dunmow - I walked past their building this morning!

Kate

Thanks very much for that, Kate. I'll check it out tomorrow. Ah, so Wheatley was the middle name! I couldn't decipher it on the 1851 census, and ancestry's transcriber had it as surname Mackey.... ;)

Jim

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I have just read the string of communication about Elsie Knocker with interest. I am one of her great grand children. Juliet, my sister, did the feature with the Not Forgotten programme and we have been unearthing more and more about our great grandmother. She was a truly remarkable lady and whilst we were aware of most of her 'antics' and 'heroics' the programme and subsequent activity has certainly unearthed so much more. We are all going to take the opportunity to visit the Cellar House and Belgium School Teacher featured in the programme.

Simon

• 3 years later...

Pals,

There was a segment on Elsie Knocker and Mairi Chisholm - the 'Angels of Pervyse' - on Radio 4's Woman's Hour on 07 July 2009 with an interview with Diane Atkinson, author of Elsie and Mairi Go to War: Two Extraordinary Women on the Western Front.

For the next few days you can catch it on Listen Again reached from here:

R4 Woman's Hour: Elsie Knocker and Mairi Chisholm - the 'Angels of Pervyse'

Cheers,

Mark

'Not long afterwards there was another plane incident. I saw the machine spiral down near the German trenches, telephoned 52 Squadron, and told them that I was going out to collect the pilot. When I got to him he had somehow got out and crawled into a clump of reeds near by. While the stretcher-bearers went on I was confronted with the German commanding officers. Since I speak German well, I was able to explain matters satisfactorily; a new lot of troops had taken over, and though the form had been explained to them, they must have been a bit startled to see our party so near their lines. When we arrived back at Pervyse I noticed that our trenches were simply stiff with top people. The Earl of Athlone was there, and General Rawlinson, and several others. I was quite out of breath, very muddy, and rather bewildered. But the first thing was to get the pilot back to our quarters and give him a rest and a hot drink. I lent him a pair of my breeches, since his own were so torn and covered in oil.

This exploit earned me and Mairi the immediate award of the Military Medal, and with it the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, though, in fact, it was not nearly as difficult and dangerous as some of the other sorties we had made.

Sue

Interesting incident. Sounds like the Brits and the Germans had some sort of local agreement about flyers landing between the lines. You would think that if she was face to face with "the German commanding officers" there might be troops there as well, and that they would be inclined to bag the pilot. A local protocol to handle such an occurance between the lines would not be the sort of thing that the higher-ups seemed to appreciate.

Bob Lembke

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...