Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Happy Christmas 1916

Gunner Bailey

I thought this was a good time of year to share part of my Grandfathers items with the forum.

My Grandfather was in the 21st Division, in a Royal Engineers Field Company. He was there from the Battle of Loos through to 1919.

He sent two Christmas cards home in December 1916. This is the best one.

Gunner Bailey

post-8629-1133706390.jpg

thats really good, though I am sure I have seen that somewhere before :lol:

regards

Arm

Arm

Bet you were there in thought.

Gunner Bailey

What a good idea....Vintage WW1 Christmas Greetings to all our Forum Fiends,I mean Friends...

A Happy Christmas 1918 from the 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regiment TF XXXX

And a rather fine example from the Royal Flying Corps,sent in Christmas 1917 from Miss Queenie Webster,A WAAC attached to the RFC @ Blandford Camp to her Family @ Webster's Farm Hillington King's Lynn,Norfolk.

Harry

Fantastic cards. Many thanks. I wonder how many units produced these and were they produced in the UK or France? My two cards give nothing away as to printers.

Gunner Bailey

• 3 weeks later...

A Rather Murderous looking card from "HMS Hecla"[From Cap Tallies] depicting a Machine Gun Crew with the Message"A Merry Xmas From The North Sea" postmarked December 26th 1914 London from a Joe Bowman to his Brother & Sister @ Matcham Road;Leytonstone;Essex.

And a Picture of the Ctesiphon Arch Mesopotamia,with suitably jingoistic Artwork sent by my Great Uncle Adolphus Vanhinsbergh AOC to my Grandfather RWV [RNAS]The card was a gift from "Women of the Bombay Presidency" & published by the Times Press Of Bombay.

Some wonderful cards here. Many thanks to all who have contributed.

I'm puzzled by Harry Betts posting

"A Rather Murderous looking card from "HMS Hecla"[From Cap Tallies] depicting a Machine Gun Crew with the Message"A Merry Xmas From The North Sea" postmarked December 26th 1914 London from a Joe Bowman to his Brother & Sister @ Matcham Road;Leytonstone;Essex.".

I have no idea how big HMS Hecla was but was it unusual for a ship to be armed with such a light gun, especially in 1914 where there was no AA requirement? I always thought that in this period the smallest naval gun was a 6 pdr? Or are they marines?

Any ideas?

Gunner Bailey

Oh I forgot - Here's another card from the 21st Division whilst on the Somme in 1916 - Happy Christmas again to all from the trenches.

post-8629-1135548563.jpg

Best wishes

Gunner Bailey

Great cards!

Is it possible that I could see the East Yorkshire one a bit bigger please? Can't quite make out the words on the coloured strips. Are they the Regiment colours?

Caryl

I'm puzzled by Harry Betts posting

"A Rather Murderous looking card from "HMS Hecla"[From Cap Tallies] depicting a Machine Gun Crew

I have no idea how big HMS Hecla was but was it unusual for a ship to be armed with such a light gun, especially in 1914 where there was no AA requirement? I always thought that in this period the smallest naval gun was a 6 pdr? Or are they marines?

NB:Some of my posts puzzle me too!!

The HMS Hecla of 1914 was a 1912 rebuilt 1878 Vintage Submarine/Destroyer Depot Ship;which may explain the Maxim Armament,though she is listed as having 4 x 12lbr Guns

Edited by HarryBettsMCDCM

Harry

Thanks very much for the infomation. It could have been that the MG was for close contact with subs. Interesting. I think the naval side of WW1 is less well understood that the Army / RFC / RAF histories. All sides used ships that were very old in many cases.

Cheers

Gunner Bailey

A friend's father was at Ruhleben - I wonder if he sent a card home

Jane

Jane

That is a very touching card. Many thanks for sharing it.

Gunner Bailey

7th Division

post-76-1135584916.jpg

12th Division

post-76-1135585046.jpg

Balkans

post-76-1135585263.jpg

11th Essex

post-76-1135585732.jpg

Quite a famous artist did the 'Balkans' card:

"Armour is best known for hundreds of Punch cartoons. He produced nearly a cartoon each week for decades. In the summer he concentrated on golf but with the occasional portrayal of Otter Hunting or game fishing. He also illustrated many editions of famous hunting books"

4th Division

post-76-1135585958.jpg

Cologne Post 1919, Army of Occupation

post-76-1135586484.jpg

7th Beds.

Sent to Lt Col Orlebar OC 5th (Res) Battalion Bedfordshire Rgt.

post-76-1135586779.jpg

7th Beds inside

post-76-1135586973.jpg