Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wolf and Peter Pan Farms / Wallemolen Cemetry

Richard John

I'm researching my great uncle who was a lieutenant in the 1st Bn 3rd NZ Rifle Brigade. He was killed at Passchendaele in the attack on 12 October 1917. He was in the 3rd wave of the attack and I believe he died somewhere near Wolf Farm. He is one of the missing.

Can anyone tell me if Wolf Farm, Peter Pan Farm and Walemolen Cemetry still exist and are easy to find. I believe the farms may still be there. Do they have different names now and does anyone have any photographs?

Many thanks

Richard John

Richard - I'm not sure about Wolf Farm but there is still a farm on the site of Peter Pan Farm. The cemetery is no longer there, although I have seen wartime aerial photographs which showed it.

Charlotte Cardoen-Descamps, the owner of Varlet Farm (Wallemolenhof) just along the road from the places you mention, is a forum member and I'm sure she'll find your post and give us more details.

Tom

Can anyone tell me if Wolf Farm, Peter Pan Farm and Walemolen Cemetry still exist and are easy to find.

Richard John

Richard,

Wallemolen German Cemetery no longer exists. This German cemetery was halfway between Poelkapelle and Passendale, 200-300 meters south of Wallemolen hamlet, and of Charlotte's Farm. It was on the east side of the road, and can be seen on a number of (German) trenchmaps. Also known as Ehrenfriedhof Nr. 104.

It probably was moved in or by 1927, when there were 205 German graves. The British graves (one of my sources says 20UK + 5 CAN), another source says 46UK) had already been moved by then to Perth Cemetery (China Wall), Zillebeke. There had also been "many French soldiers".

Sorry, I haven't seen photos.

Aurel

Hello Richard,

As explained by Aurel the cemetery does no longer exists but Wolf Farm and Peter Pan have both been rebuild after the Great War. Both farms have slightly moved compared to the position they had pre -war. This is quiet common as most farms were rebuild closer to the road to make them easier accessible.

I am hopeless with technology but I am going to try to send you a copy of a trench map , covering the area you are researching.

During war time there was a cemetery at Wolf copse as well but that too has disappeared later on.

Hope this answers your question,

best wishes,

charlotte

Hi Jan

Many thanks for your very prompt reply. Charlotte has also written back.

I do have a photograph of my uncle in uniform and also, I think, on board the ship that brought him from NZ to Europe. I will have the photo scanned and send it through to the link. Do you want any other information?

Regards

Richard

PS Can you tell me how to put these emails into my inbox, or otherwise store them?!

Hello Richard,

I will contact Charlotte from Varlet Farm and tell her about your questions. She'll be happy to answer them for you.

Do you have a photograph of your great-uncle? We are currently researching the casualties of the Battle of Passchendaele. Please follow the this link.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=41558

Kind regards,

Jan

The Passchendaele Archives

Hi Charlotte

That is very kind of you indeed. I am very grateful.My direct email is rsj@atj.co.uk.

Can I ask - what are the names of the farms now?

Richard

Hello Richard,

As explained by Aurel the cemetery does no longer exists but Wolf Farm and Peter Pan have both been rebuild after the Great War. Both farms have slightly moved compared to the position they had pre -war. This is quiet common as most farms were rebuild closer to the road to make them easier accessible.

I am hopeless with technology but I am going to try to send you a copy of a trench map , covering the area you are researching.

During war time there was a cemetery at Wolf copse as well but that too has disappeared later on.

Hope this answers your question,

best wishes,

charlotte

Hi Tom and Aurel

Many thanks for your help which is much appreciated. I've only just found this site but it is excellent.

Regards

Richard

Richard - I'm not sure about Wolf Farm but there is still a farm on the site of Peter Pan Farm.  The cemetery is no longer there, although I have seen wartime aerial photographs which showed it.

Charlotte Cardoen-Descamps, the owner of Varlet Farm (Wallemolenhof) just along the road from the places you mention, is a forum member and I'm sure she'll find your post and give us more details.

Tom

Hi Jan

Many thanks for your very prompt reply. Charlotte has also written back.

I do have a photograph of my uncle in uniform and also, I think, on board the ship that brought him from NZ to Europe. I will have the photo scanned and send it through to the link. Do you want any other information?

Regards

Richard

PS Can you tell me how to put these emails into my inbox, or otherwise store them?!

Hello Richard,

I've send you an email with the a form to fill and a guideline. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Kind regards,

Jan

The Passchendaele Archives