Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did your granddad fight in Passchendaele?

greatspywar

Hello everbody,

The memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 has started a major new project and we need a lot of help... .

Please read the following appeal.

Kind regards,

Jan

Did your granddad fight in Passchendaele?

Did he give his life?

The Passchendaele Archives

A project of the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917

The Third battle of Ypres , known forever as Passchendaele 1917 was one of the great conflicts of the First World War. Hundred days of heavy fighting resulted in over half a million Allied casualties for but a gain of only a few miles. The dead comprised mainly British, Australian, Canadian, New Zealand and South African troops and on the great memorial wall at Tyne Cot Cemetery are inscribed the names of 35,000 British and New Zealand dead who fell at Passchendaele. Many of the Missing are buried in military cemeteries about the Ypres Salient as “A Soldier of the Great War” and “Known unto God”, but most lie still undiscovered in Flanders Fields. A visit to a military cemetery is always an inspiring and emotional experience but the fact remains that the Missing have only headstones and memorials whereon they are remembered. In the Passchendaele Archives at the Memorial Museum Zonnebeke, we have created a living memorial where we are endeavouring to put faces and stories to the names of the missing by building a personal record with photographs, family documentation and information from military sources.

To avoid a duplication of the excellent database of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission we will only create a file if a photograph is available and only if the man concerned lost his life between 12th, July and 15th, November, 1917.

To this end we seek your help in providing family material which you may feel will assist us in building our Passchendaele Archives. Photographs, letters, personal papers and reminiscences of family members will be gratefully received but note, we do not ask for original material unless you feel that you would wish to donate such to the Memorial Museum. Copies are quite acceptable but if you are not able to copy or scan your possessions at a high resolution we are most willing to undertake the task for you.

As a measure of our thanks and for your cooperation, we shall endeavour to discover, upon your behalf, what exactly happened to your loved one. You will receive wherever possible, a trench map, marking the approximate place where he was killed or was mortally wounded. With this comes a short report based upon the war diaries of his unit.

The aims of our project are:

1. to build a personal archive of thousands of files which may be researched at the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917

2. to create a database with the extracts of all files and extensive research facilities to provide for example the exact location of death on trench maps

3. to select records of 100 men to be stored at the new Visitors Centre shortly to erected near Tyne Cot Cemetery; one for each day of the battle.

4. the composition of a book on Passchendaele 1917 based upon the stories of the fallen.

If you have a family member who died at Passchendaele 1917 and would like information or assistance, upon how to assemble and collate information for our project, please contact:

The Passchendaele Archives

Jan Van der Fraenen

Ieperstraat 5

B-8980 Zonnebeke

archives@passchendaele.be

tel 0032 51 77 04 41

fax 0032 51 78 07 50

Jan.

An excellent project which I am sure will get a great deal of support from the Forum.

Can great-uncles be included??

Good luck

Neil

Jan.

An excellent project which I am sure will get a great deal of support from the Forum.

Can great-uncles be included??

Good luck

Neil

Neil,

Sure they can. The Passchendaele Archives will list any soldier that died during the Battle of Passchendaele. They do not need to be relatives but essential to be listed is having a picture of the soldier involved. It is clear that most picture would be in the hands of relatives of those soldiers...

Best wishes,

charlotte

Jan,

You can exclude me from your request for two reasons :D

The first, he is an Uncle( I appreciate you would stretch this point) but the other, he survived 3 months continuous service( 18 June 1917 to 25 September 1917 in the 1/8th Royal Scots) to be killed 1918.

All I could offer you is a name and a photograph.

I can understand the logic in only seeking casualties but are you not in danger of losing some important archive information from survivors?

George

p.s. I have a copy of a short History of the 1/8th Royal Scots written shortly after the War which includes an overview of their time in Ypres(not as detailed as any War Diary you already possess).Do you want me to send you a copy?

I can understand the logic in only seeking casualties but are you not in danger of losing some important archive information from survivors?

Hi George,

I understand your concerns. Yesterdayeve the BBC broadcasted 'The Last Tommy', a very good documentary on the last veterans of the war. Surely their stories can not and may not be forgotten. The project that the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 has started is a unique one. It's the first time that this happens. If all goes well, and if there are more funds available, we might be able to widen the group of men. It's a good suggestion that you have made. There is still so much to do and the learn about the Great War... .

And as Charlotte mentioned, everybody who has a photograph of a soldier who was killed during Third Ypres (or as a result of it) can send his/her information to us. A reply is guaranteed.

Kind regards,

Jan

Charlotte.

Many thanks - my query was slightly tongue in cheek but I did wonder if Jan wanted to limit what was sent - they could get tens of thousands of emails!

See you soon (well January).

Neil

Jan,

Once compiled, how will the archives be available, will it be an online resource, or just something availble in Zonnebeke.

I am looking forward to seeing how the information I submitted to Charlotte will be presented

Steve

I think a similar initiative is in place for men named on the Thiepval Memorial. It is really excellent. A friend who studies the London Rifle Brigade was able to share a lot of photos and information to help bolster this exercise. Everybody wins by this and the cause of Rememberance greatly assisted too.

An excellent idea leading up to 2007.

I think a similar initiative is in place for men named on the Thiepval Memorial. It is really excellent. A friend who studies the London Rifle Brigade was able to share a lot of photos and information to help bolster this exercise. Everybody wins by this and the cause of Rememberance greatly assisted too.

An excellent idea leading up to 2007.

Ian

I cannot emphasise enough that "Rememberance" is the reason why we the City Council Zonnebeke and Memorial Museum Passchendaele are doing all this. I was very happy to hear that the Burgomaster emphasised this very strongly in his speech on the new annual "Passion- dale" ceremony on the 10th of November. He clearly spoke out against political recuperation of commemoration and made a strong plea for the rememberance of all the victims, whatever the side they were on.

We will stay consequently on this line, especially in the 2007 programme.

Erwin

how will the archives be available,

Hello Steve,

There will be excerpts of the documents, photo's and information available in a online database. A new book will be published on Passchendaele 1917, based on the victims stories. The New Visitors centre near Tyne Cot Cemetery will hold some information as well. The complete file will be available in the Museum. Things can change in the future. It depends on how many files we have and of the of progress we can make.

regards,

jan

Jan - I am interested to know who will be managing the new Visitor Centre ? Obviously you guys have some access to it. Does IFF have an interest in it as well ?

Best of luck to all of you doing great things at the Memorial Museum Zonebeke. I think your museum is becoming a main focus of visits at the epicentre of the Salient.

Much appreciated by many of us in Blighty.

Jan - I am interested to know who will be managing the new Visitor Centre ? Obviously you guys have some access to it. Does IFF have an interest in it as well ?

Best of luck to all of you doing great things at the Memorial Museum Zonebeke. I think your museum is becoming a main focus of visits at the epicentre of the Salient.

Much appreciated by many of us in Blighty.

The new Visitors Centre at Tyne Cot is a project and a initiative of the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917. The IFF has other projects and initiatives regarding the First World War.

Some of the photo's and stories we are now collecting will be used for the Vistors Centre.

I'm glad to hear that initiatives and projects of the Museum are appreciated. It gives us the courage to go down the same road.

Jan

Have no relative who was at Passchendaele, nearest any of mine got was Poelderhoek.

Have been to the Zonnebeek Museum twice now and think it is quite superb - will be hopefully be visiting again in May 2006.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Hello everbody,

Every soldier who died in Ypres Salient between 12th of July and the 15th of November 1917 (or later as a result of wounds) is welcome to the Passchendaele Archives (if you have a picture). He does not necessarily had to lose his life at Passchendaele. If the record says "Polygon Wood" and "september 1917", than he probably died during the Battle of Polygon Wood , which is a part of the Third Battle of Ypres.

If you are not sure wheter he died at "Passchendaele" or not, please contact me.

regards,

Jan

archives@passchendaele.be

Hello Jan

First let me say this is a wonderful project. Coincidently I am researching a young soldier (19 years old) of the 5th Battalion Gordon Highlanders who was killed on 31 July 1917, the first day of the Battle of Pilckem Ridge. He is buried in Artillery Wood Cemetery. Although he is not a relative I would like to contribute his name and sacrifice to your project and will endeavour to provide the findings of my research. I was wondering what type of photo you require. Would a copy from a local newspaper suffice?

Chris

I was wondering what type of photo you require. Would a copy from a local newspaper suffice?

Hello Chris and everybody,

The better the quality of the photo, the better for our project. Some photo's could be used for our new book or for the Visitors Centre. Photo's of local newspaper are mostly of poor quality, but they will do the trick. Photo's with familymembers are welcome, photo's in civilian life are appreciated as well. The more photo's we have of one man, the better. If you would scan photo's, please make sure, it's a high quality scan (at least 300 dpi, 600 dpi would be excellent). If you are not able to scan, we can do that for you.

Kind regards,

jan

Jan,

I posted the photocopy Booklet on 1/8 Royal Scots to you about an hour ago.

I'm not sure how long post takes between UK and Belgium :D It is supposed to be going air-mail.

If it's not arrived by next Friday, let me know.

Best wishes

George

George,

It won't take too long I guess. I received a package from Canada this morning. It had taken only 8 days to arrive. :) I'll let you know. I'm looking forward to your mailing.

Thanks,

Jan.

We are in the process of digitally photographing obituaries from the Bury Times newspaper for 1917, including those of several Bury Grammar School boys who died in 3rd Ypres. Several of my pupils are helping with the project. As you say, the quality of photo reproduction in newspapers is not good. The Bury Times did start publishing a 'Book of Honour' after the war with better quality photos, but for some reason they gave up after the 1916 volume. We are looking at ways of enhancing the photographs if we can. We can supply the details in any format, please let me know. There should eventually be several hundred images. I already have good photographs of some of our pupils including Lt John Hartington MC, whose image and story appears on the 'Ordinary Heroes' section of this website.

I must say that getting a photo to go with the name really enhances our remembrance of the man concerned. Therefore this project is of huge importance.

I was absolutely knocked out by the grid of images of men on the Thiepval Memorial that greet you at the Thiepval Visitor Centre. I stood in front of it for quite a time and kept returning to it.

Good luck with this project.

We are in the process of digitally photographing obituaries from the Bury Times newspaper for 1917, including those of several Bury Grammar School boys who died in 3rd Ypres. Several of my pupils are helping with the project. As you say, the quality of photo reproduction in newspapers is not good. The Bury Times did start publishing a 'Book of Honour' after the war with better quality photos, but for some reason they gave up after the 1916 volume. We are looking at ways of enhancing the photographs if we can. We can supply the details in any format, please let me know. There should eventually be several hundred images.  I already have good photographs of some of our pupils including Lt John Hartington MC, whose image and story appears on the 'Ordinary Heroes' section of this website.

Hello,

We are most interested in those photographs! The Rolls of honour contain a lot of good information.

Regards,

jan

I must say that getting a photo to go with the name really enhances our remembrance of the man concerned. Therefore this project is of huge importance.

I was absolutely knocked out by the grid of images of men on the Thiepval Memorial that greet you at the Thiepval Visitor Centre. I stood in front of it for quite a time and kept returning to it.

Hello Ian,

I have been to the Thiepval Memorial last year during summer, but the Visitors Centre was not open to the public yet. I guess I'll have to go back asap. Maybe during the Christmas holidays.

I was touched by the project because of the photographs. To "give" headstones a face is something special. It changes the way of remembrance a bit.

regards,

jan

Hello Ian,

I have been to the Thiepval Memorial last year during summer, but the Visitors Centre was not open to the public yet. I guess I'll have to go back asap. Maybe during the Christmas holidays.

I was touched by the project because of the photographs. To "give" headstones a face is something special. It changes the way of remembrance a bit.

regards,

jan

Hello Ian,

regards,

jan