Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Dunmow War Memorial

KateJ

Kate,

I have just discovered this thread and read it all the way through.

What a wonderful piece of research....you are to be congratulated.

But then, maybe I'm biased, since my late Mother was born in Sible Hedingham, brought up in Stisted, lived in High Garrett.............

Bruce (on Merrseyside!)

Bruce - thanks for the compliments. The research is on-going although at present I don't have a lot of time to spend on it.

Kate

Hi Kate,

Do you have a list of the names on the War Memorial? If not, I could provide one as I have been researching into a couple of my relatives whose names are on the memorial. I also have the original of the postcard of the donkey cart outside the Royal Oak and a beautifully detailed card of the unveiling of the War Memorial (attended by my mother, her sister and my grandmother).

I've really enjoyed reading through your research and will be glad to add any bits and pieces from my own that would help.

Hi Joe

I'd really appreciate any information that you have! I'd really love to see any photos/postcards. As you've probably read from the earlier posts, the man on the cart was my grandfather's cousin k.i.a at the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

I have a list of those on the war memorial and those on the church memorial - from memory the list isn't exactly the same - I seem to recall that there's one more name on one of the memorials (I need to look in my notes to check)

I'm looking forward to your next posts!

Kate

Guest KevinEndon

I don't think I have ever seen a headstone as white as the one in post 63. Usually the headstones have a little moss on them even a little green from grass cutting around the bottom or some mud splashes but this one looks as if it has just been painted or made yesterday. A big well done to whoever tends this graveyard and takes so much pride in their work.

Kevin

Kevin - the picture in post #63 was taken in May 2004. Two years later in May 2006, it now unfortunately looks like this.

Kate

post-2231-1165184784.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest newstreetjoe

Hi Kate,

Sorry it has taken so long to post these pictures but I had to find them first! I have also found a couple of items relating to the Dunmow Town Band which may be of interest to the Kemp thread. I am at present going through all the names on the war memorial and getting regiments,details of dates and place of death and local addresses. so if it works out I'll let you have those in due course. Keep up the good work.

post-17340-1166352183.jpg

Strange to think that probably somewhere in that crowd are my grandparents! Thanks for posting the pictures and the Kemp bills - absolutely amazing you've still got them.

Kate

Guest newstreetjoe

post-17340-1166558220.jpg

Strange to think that probably somewhere in that crowd are my grandparents! Thanks for posting the pictures and the Kemp bills - absolutely amazing you've still got them.

Kate

Hi Kate,

One more picture just for the WW1 flavour - don't know who the troops are or where they would be going but they look fairly ragged! Probably not the men whose names are on our War Memorial but many of them will be on Memorials somewhere.

Oh my! What a picture!

Could it possibly be the Sherwood Foresters on their way through Dunmow? Looking at the direction they're coming from, they're coming from the West along Stortford Road and looks as though they're turning down to Market Place.

We know that the Sherwood Foresters came through Dunmow in Nov 1914 from Harlow on their way to Bocking (see this thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=43808&hl=) Although one chap is in shirt-sleeves and there's some straw boaters around so perhaps not November ?

Andrew/Mike, help - Notts and Derby? Or is it the Essex Regiment?

Kate

• 8 months later...

Kate

Came across this last week at the local newspaper archives.

Though it may be worth adding to this classic thread.

Glyn

post-5500-1189957107.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Kate

Came across this last week at the local newspaper archives.

Though it may be worth adding to this classic thread.

Glyn

Hi Glyn

Sorry, I haven't had the time to get onto the board for ages. Thanks for the post. I didn't realise that there was a memorial in the congretational church - I recognise quite a few names so will have to cross check back to the town's memorial.

Thanks

Kate

• 3 months later...

A lot of my relatives, the Livermores, lived in and around Felstead in the 19th century, which I understand is near Dunmow. One of them, Percy Livermore, was born in Great Dunmow and was killed in Palestine in September 1918.

Is he in on this memorial perchance? Does Felstead have its own war memorial? If not, his mother was living in Harold Wood in Romford at the time of his death so maybe he is on one there...