Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

open day Caesar's Nose excavation

Bert Heyvaert

My Uncle, John Russell, my son and I were fortunate to have stumbled across the dig on Friday whilst looking for The Yorkshire Trench. It was my first visit to the battlefields and memorials of Belgium-France, to visit two relatives graves, so you can imagine my surprise to find these trenches being exposed.

Its incredible to have seen artefacts such as helmets, bayonets, munition cases uncovered from the clay where they have lain for 90 years.

As we walked across to the trenches the mud and the clay stuck firmly to our feet giving us just a glimpse of the conditions that those young men had to endure.

There was a Canadian film unit making a TV documentary for showing on The History Channel on or about the 11th November 2006.

Also on hand was David Rennie the correspondent for The Daily Telegraph who interviewed us and subsequently published an article and photo of my Uncle Jack on Saturday 12th. Jack reckons he can dine out on the fame for a month at his Western Front Association meetings.

We were also extremely fortunate to meet with Frans, one of the Diggers, at The Yorkshire Trench and what a character he is, so dedicated to the work that he does.

Chatting in his Sheffield-Dutch accent for a good 45 minutes gave us more inspiration than many books.

Thank you Frans.

Regards Paul, Jack and Paul