Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

open day Caesar's Nose excavation

Bert Heyvaert

This is a bit short notice, but anyway. For those who will be in the Ypres region on friday: The excavation near Ceasar's nose, next to the Pilkemseweg will be open to the public on friday. Parts of German and British front line trenches were excavated and especially the British trenches are in a very good state!

The site can be reached comin from Flanders language valley, crossing the busy crossroads and than just follow the road (it runs more or less parallel to the canal)till piles of earth show up on your left.

Great site, wish I could go there, but alas, I am about 6000 miles away.

Maybe next year.

Incidentally, will they remain open for ever or are they going to be built over?

regards

DCLI

It is between Caesar's nose cemetery (to the east of this) and the Pilkemseweg, which runs parallel to the Canal. It runs towards 'vijfwegen'. There are no real other landmarks. It is just plain farmland

Hi Paul,

On the map you have the canal at Boezinge "Ieper industrial estate" and you will find close to the canal the Yorkshire trench. The position of the dig is of the bottom right of the map. On the photo you will see the big chimney that is roughly where the Yorkshire trench is.

post-3158-1131634503.jpg

post-3158-1131634538.jpg

Thanks Bert & Frans

Will keep an eye on this one for sure, the 5th, 6th and possibly the 1st K.S.L.I. all served in this area at one time or another.

Annette

Please excuse my total ignorance about most of this.

But I have a few questions which I know you guys will be able to answer.

The photos show the trenches to be in unbelievably good condition.

How is this?

Have the A frames been put in as excavation has advanced.

If not how can movement be made along the trench with all the horizontal supports in the way.

Or maybe duckboards are place on top of the a frame cross memebers and drainage takes place underneath?

These are fairly basic questions and probably make it obvious how new I am to all this.

Please excuse my total ignorance about most of this.

But I have a few questions which I know you guys will be able to answer.

The photos show the trenches to be in unbelievably good condition.

How is this?

Have the A frames been put in as excavation has advanced.

If not how can movement be made along the trench with all the horizontal supports in the way.

Or maybe duckboards are place on top of the a frame cross memebers and drainage takes place underneath?

These are fairly basic questions and probably make it obvious how new I am to all this.

Hi Neutrino,

The good conditions of the trenches is due to the preserving nature of the clay.

The trench is first dug, then the inverted A frames are firmly placed against the trench walls. Then are connected to the next A frame. Walking boards are put on the A frames, allowing drainage underneath.

Frans

post-3158-1131724204.jpg

Thanks frans.

Trench diging was an even bigger job than I ever imagined.

These trenches could not have been dug in a hurry.

They must have been dug well before any battle got near them.

In fact has any battle got near them as they all look pristine without any beakages for shells exploding in or near them.

Frans,

Thank you for the photos. I was lucky enough to get to the trenches and have a good look around after a tip off from Paul Reed. (Thanks Paul)

We often talk about life in the trenches and about various actions but to actually be there at the site was quite an unbelievable experience and one that I will never forget.

Thank You to the Diggers for allowing us the chance to visit it and thanks again to Paul for telling me about it, just in the nick of time.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

Simon,

Caesar's nose refers to a point in the German line a bit more North, which did look like a triangle.

Paul,

I think we met today at the site. I was with the guy who wrote the book on the Menin Gate and we had to rush to get to Track X in time.

regards,

Bert

I will be in the area on 17th Nov. Any chance of anyone working on site then. My wife and I would love a look around?

Chris.

I will be in the area on 17th Nov. Any chance of anyone working on site then. My wife and I would love a look around?

Chris.