Enlisted Portsmouth

Reside South Sea

Killed in Action

Hope this helps a bit

Glyn

Thank you glyn

I did not no that my Great Gandad came

Ulverston Lancs

Died at Home would that mean died of his wounds in a uk hospital ?

J Robinson RAMC

Died at home

Born Ulverston Lancs

Enlisted Portsmouth

Thats a possibility although quite possible he could have died of illness etc.

Need to get his death Certificate to be absolutely sure- now you need one of the Census / Death Certs experts to point you in the right direction to get the certificate.

Come on guys :P

Glyn

Can any one help i can not seem to find a MIC for ether men

Dave

Dave,

Hope this is of use to you. The War Record of the 2nd Rifle Brigade in 1914 gives us this for the 27/11/14.

At 1a.m. Lieutenant Durham and twenty-four men of "B" Company under Sergeant Davis and Corporal Thompson went out to suprise a sap of the enemy's about 120 yards from our trenches. The sap was successfully charged; the enemy's piquet-post of about six men fired a few shots and then fled. Our party then occupied the trench and opened fire on the enemy's lines. Unfortunately Lieutenant Durnham was nowhere to be found. After thirty minutes the party were ordered to retire to our own trench as the enemy were returning in large numbers.

Casualties: Lieutenant Durham missing, one Rifleman killed.

It is feared Lieutenant Durham pursued right down the enemy's trench beyond reach of help. The sap head was merely an advanced post occupied for observation and there were no signs of any mining operations. The enemy's troops opposed to us would appear to be more numerous than was supposed. It took them some thirty minutes to man their main trench and they appeared to have some 200 rifles. They re-occupied their advanced sap and continued the sniping.

The number of 4435 is a regular number.

Andy

Andy

Thank you so much for that can i be a pain do you no were this happened .

The number of 4435 is a regular number. ??

Dave

Hi Dave,

Find attached the area map of the trenches held by the 2nd. The number indicates a pre war regular serving soldier.

Hope this all helps.

Andy

post-1871-1131235609.jpg

Andy

Thank you so much you have told me more in 1 night then i have found out in weeks of looking

Thank you again

Dave

Dave,

If you look directly above the n of battalion in the 2nd R.B.'s part of the trenches you will see what I would imagine to be the advanced sap they are talking about in the war record extending from the German line. Directly below Les Mottes Ferm.

Andy

Again Andy thank you

my son is doing ww1 trenches at school so now he will be able to show his class were his Great Great Uncle

Dave

Dave,

Glad to be able to have helped you. The information came from the war diaries of the 2nd Rifle Brigade and the 1916 Rifle Brigade Chronicles.

Andy

Could you let me no were i could get hold of this

thanks

Dave

Dave,

The War Diaries of the 2nd Battalion The Rifle Brigade are held at the National Archives at Kew, the document you require there is WO95/1731 this being the diaries of the 8th Division of which the 2nd RB' were part. It is in its original form as written at the time. If you contact them at Kew I am sure they will be able to produce you a copy.

The 1916 Rifle Brigade Chronicles are now quite a rarity for the war years, and when found are not cheap, however, if your son is doing a project on this at school, I will gladly scan and forward you the relevant parts.

Andy

Dave,

I will be up at Kew next week sometime and will pick up copies of the relevant parts of the war diary for your sons project. If you would care to e mail me with your e mail address I will scan and send of the parts from the Chronicles for you.

Andy

If you could do that i would be so greatful

and my so would have so much to show about were his Great Great Uncle was and how he served with . Hope that i have not put to much on you as this is not my wish

Dave

Dave,

It is no problem as I will be up at Kew anyway, it just means ordering the document, so no biggy especially as it is for your sons project at school.

Andy

Dave

This may be of some help if you don't already have it.

This is from the National Roll of the Great War – Portsmouth

ROBINSON, J., Rifleman, 2nd Rifle Brigade

He was mobilised in August 1914, and immediately drafted to France, where he saw much heavy fighting. He made the supreme sacrifice, being killed in action at La Bassée in November 1914. He was entitled to the 1914 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.

“He died the noblest death a man may die,

Fighting for God and right, and liberty.”

17, Telegraph Street, Southsea.

ROBINSON, J., Private, R.A.M.C.

He volunteered in August 1914, and was engaged at home in conveying the wounded from the stations to the Portsmouth General Hospital, to which he was attached. He unfortunately met with an accident and died on October 8th 1914.

“Steals on the ear of the distant triumph song”

There is another entry for a Robinson at the same address, maybe another relative?

ROBINSON, T., Driver, R.E.

He volunteered in August 1914, and in the following February was drafted to France, where he took part in the Battle of Ypres (II). Later he was transferred to the Balkans, and was engaged in guarding fortifications at Salonica, and various other places. He also served in Egypt and Palestine, and took part in the fighting at Maghaba, Rafa, Gaza, Jerusalem, Jericho, and in the Offensive under General Allenby in 1918. He returned home and was demobilised in June 1919, holding the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.

Regards

Pam

Pam

I thank you so much for your info it has helped us so much and thank you for finding my great Uncle tom as i could not find any record of him not even a mention of him at 17, Telegraph Street, Southsea.

Dave

Hi All. I have just found out that my Grandad Gregory Gill Robinson

and my Great Uncle Robert Robinson were in the Great War

they also lived at 17, Telegraph Street, Southsea i believe they both may have lied about their age to join up.

Dave,

Great news, slowly finding the bits and pieces. It's great when you find out all about them. Hope the 2nd War Service record came through OK.

Andy

Andy

just found your emails thank you so much i am just going to have a good read

Dave

To give you a timeline on Thomas:

2nd Battle of Ypres : 22nd April 1915 to 25th May 1915.

Salonika force landed October 1915.

Battle of Maghaba in Sinai - 23rd December 1916, Rafa 9th January 1917, 1st Battle of Gaza (Palestine) 23rd March 1917, 2nd Battle of Gaza 19th APril 1917, 3rd Battle of Gaza 30th October 1917, Entry into Jerusalem 11th December 1917.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Steve

thank you all info i can get helps me so much

Dave