Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

By pulling off the second pic on the reverse side , I even discovered the text " Our sweet little "dicky" when 1 year old". You also notice the much smaller grid pattern

post-80-1133806623.jpg

Hi Egbert

I've never seen this before but here's a guess. The case is probably mica not plastic. The grids were to overlay trench maps and the different size squares were for different scale maps. The squares could be annotated with a chinagraph pencil and would probably have sector/grid numbers added for artillery fire purposes. Alternatively the grid scale would equal 25, 50, 100 metres etc.

The Germans were nothing if not well organised.

Gunner Bailey

These address stickers were never used for their very own purpose. They were obviously prewritten by Granddad for future mail to Grandmother. As part of the wallet contents the stickers have been ripped by a shell splinter penetrating the wallet. Finally they reached their intended destination - as part of a dead soldiers belongings....

post-80-1133918683.jpg

The heartbreak for the family who may have realised , or guessed, how the wallet and contents came to be in this condition.....

Edited by spike10764

Gottfried was killed in action 1 May 1918 at 15:00 hrs German time.

The trunk will be closed , all artefacts have been shown to you. You were all part of my Granddads life for a short period. The treasures were shown to you 87 years after his death; for me it is proof that he is not forgotten; he stood next to me and watched his Grandson developing the story. And you? You had a tiny insight into a typical family fate, repeated by the millions in the Great War.

If you liked the thread do not thank me , but maybe you show your appreciation to my Grandfather for showing the artefacts to you by visiting his grave and put a poppie on the grave at the occasion of your next visit in French Flanders. He is buried on CWGC Merville, Communal Annex.

Gottfried's last written words to his wife :

I cannot tell you much, only that I spent the most happiest days with you, days that you have sweetened with your great love. Thank you so very much. Keep me in good memories, and never forget that I always treasured you as my greatest value and that I faithfully loved you in true love. Educate our beloved little ones well, so that they bear our name in honor.

God bless you my good wife, it was not meant to be that we spend our lifes happily ever after.

Faithful until death yours Friedel

P.S. If you like to know more about the location where death occured and the grave situation after the war, please encourage me to do so maybe I should add some stories as an epilogue of this thread; just PM, email or write me

post-80-1134002990.jpg

Hi Egbert

Please do add all the other info you have, many of us are following this thread eagerly. It would make a great book, it shows us that the enemy [as they were then] were as human and the same as the rest of us. Perhaps if enough of these things were published mankind would learn and try to live in peace with each other.

Regards

Christina

Hi Egbert

Please do add all the other info you have, many of us are following this thread eagerly. It would make a great book, it shows us that the enemy [as they were then] were as human and the same as the rest of us. Perhaps if enough of these things were published mankind would learn and try to live in peace with each other.

Regards

Christina

I totally agree with Christina.

Please keep going Egbert.

It is agood lesson, I wish it could be shown in schools, that enemies are human and suffer the same as everyone else.

Regards

Kim

Some of us teased a lot at the start of this thread, as it was a while before anything began to come out (halfway down page 3, he says, checking!). However it's been one of the two best threads since I've joined, and I'm not going to say which is which because I can't choose between Grandfather's trunk and Frans' holes in Belgium.

This thread has really had it all. What do most families have of ancestors who died nearly 90 years ago? A few medals? A few photos? Perhaps a watch on a chain? Instead Egbert has a trunk with a LIFE in it - hidden in there has been war, peace, tragedy, translocation, horror, heroism... The list goes on. Would it make a good book? With a little care it could make an amazing book. Your call, though, I'm not pressurising anyone - I've written a family history and I know how hard it can be. And I only published on my PC and printer.

The forum will be very empty for a while without Gottfreid, Egbert. You have brought him to life so vividly for us. It has been a very moving and emotional experience for many of us, judging by the postings, so must have been many times more so for you.

Thank you for bringing Gottfreid to life for us, Egbert. We are missing him here - how much more must he have been missed by you grandmother, your father?...

THANK YOU!

Adrian

Hi Egbert

Please do add all the other info you have, many of us are following this thread eagerly. It would make a great book, it shows us that the enemy [as they were then] were as human and the same as the rest of us. Perhaps if enough of these things were published mankind would learn and try to live in peace with each other

It is a good lesson, I wish it could be shown in schools, that enemies are human and suffer the same as everyone else

This thread has really had it all. What do most families have of ancestors who died nearly 90 years ago? A few medals? A few photos? Perhaps a watch on a chain? Instead Egbert has a trunk with a LIFE in it - hidden in there has been war, peace, tragedy, translocation, horror, heroism... The list goes on. Would it make a good book? With a little care it could make an amazing book. Your call, though, I'm not pressurising anyone - I've written a family history and I know how hard it can be. And I only published on my PC and printer.

The forum will be very empty for a while without Gottfreid, Egbert. You have brought him to life so vividly for us. It has been a very moving and emotional experience for many of us, judging by the postings, so must have been many times more so for you.

Thank you for bringing Gottfreid to life for us, Egbert. We are missing him here - how much more must he have been missed by you grandmother, your father?...

THANK YOU!

I can only echo these words Egbert. That much material would make an excellent book. My sons shoool does life in the trenches as part of history, nowadays, with the accent on the common soldier and his life and sufferings during the First World War. They do a trench diary etc and try to see what it was like for Tommy Atkins in the front line at war,. Imagine how much more they could learn if they could see a book from the "Other Side". The German soldier as suffering too and as a human being, a hero, a loving man with family and a soldier.

That is what Gottfried could bring to them and he truly could be "remembered always".

Yes, I agree, Egbert. Please go on.

I would be honoured to put a poppy on Grandfathers grave if I my plans to visit Flanders in the new year work out.

Susan.

Edited by susanhemmings

Well its difficult: the subject matter, the headline mission of the thread is accomplished no doubt.

I was asking myself and you for opinion to continue with an epilogue. Sadly, no gladly, I received 2 PMs from Ian Turner and Geoff501 and 6 returns here from Christina, Kim, Adrian, Spike and of course Marina and Susan! Valued opinions but with 250 hits after my last posting not very motivating!

Ian wrote in an email "

So don't give up. There are some of us thirsting for more. I am sure you

have a similar saying in German - to give is better than to receive. And

hey, it is getting too near Christmas to get p....d off!

Friedel will be watching and seeing if you overcome an apparant personal

obstacle in the form of GWF apathy. Don't waiver.....

Thank you Ian @ all, I'll start with an epilogue shortly. Another reason is also that my kids are reading this thread; they are not so much interested in story-tellers, but through this thread i can give them some valuable information about their GreatGrandfather, hi Christine, Christoph and Chad!

I can't believe 250 hits and only eight yes/no replies. :angry:

Come on folks - if you are just dropping by and haven't seen this thread before (or even if you have and need to be reminded just what it was about) go put the kettle on, come back with a cuppa and READ THE WHOLE THREAD! (sorry to shout - but it needs emphasis).

It's been one of the most fascinating things I've ever read. READ IT. Then tell the man who put it here for you to read what you think. It's the least he deserves.

Adrian

Adrian's HOLLERIN' has disturbed my slumbers. I've not posted here since my attempted humour way back near the top of the thread. I have though followed the thread with much interest and admiration.

Egbert, you are so fortunate to have these treasures to link you and your descendants to come with your Granddad. And Gottfried is so fortunate to have you to bring his story to your forum friends and to his descendants via these treasures.

Epilogue? Yes please.

Jim

Keep going Egbert. I haven't posted on your thread since somewhere towards the top but have been following it keenly.

There does seem to be an apathy of posting on some of the threads - my thread has a similar situation to yours - lots of views (although nowhere near as many as yours!!) but very few comments from other people. I got very despondent half way through because of the very low amount of feedback but decided to keep going as I "owed" it to the men I was researching and also to the people that had left messages/PMed me.

I'm sure Gottfreid is by your side as your write your post.

Kate

egbert,

I have followed this thread as a silent onlooker, but you cant stop now. You must finish the story. It is truly amazing.

Regards

Geoff

C'mon other thread readers and followers (and there have been plenty)

let him know you care. Let Gottfrieds story continue......

There are several field letters existing, written from his friends to my Grandmother after his death, to include the official letter from the CO. His personal aide was severely wounded and wrote the first of 2 letters on 23rd July 1918 from hospital "Kriegslazarett 680 Abtl. 23 Station II., Edingen in Belgium" .

Here is an excerpt, please excuse my imperfect translation:

“....April 29th we went into positions in front of Merville and lay with your husband in a foxhole which I dug myself. There he was killed on the spot, holding a paper ready to write a letter. I was wounded and buried alive from the same shell. Probably would have been killed as well if I had not lain inside the foxhole. Unfortunately Mr. S. was sitting in front of our hole suspecting nothing. A sudden and fast death hit and he did not need to suffer any pain. The day of horror for him and myself was the 1st of May 3 o’clock in the afternoon. After that I was transported to this hospital where I am still being treated. Mr. S. was always a caring superior and I regret his death vividly. Despite his gout in his legs he refused sick call and agonized himself to the last breathe…"

Guest rachel8864

dear egbert,

I have watched your story unfold from the side lines and every day eagerly awaited the next chapter of this very very interesting story.

I too have children who are not very interested in either the war or family history, but each day they have shown an interest in your story, you have made it real to them. (which I might add I have not been able to do) Please do not end it here, carry it on until the end, if not for you or your ancestor, or even the others who have been watching, but for my children. I know this is very selfish of me but I have tried every trick in the book to try and encourage them to be interested in their history and you have succeeded where I have failed. So I am begging you to carry on untill the end......... PLEASE...........

Regards

Rachel...