Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

egbert,

I hope your government doesn't know that your granddad imported contraband into the U S of A!!

:ph34r:

Roxy

I've just realised, Egbert, showing someone else this thread, that the flowers with the lock of hair are cowslips (known as "peggles" in my bit of Britain - flowers of grassland, and just about my favourite spring flower.

Don't know if that adds anything for you, but I'd love to know why I didn't twig before!

ADrian

No kidding Adrian, nice one, thank you!! This is very interesting for me to know which actual flowers they are! In German language they are called "Schluesselblume"

post-80-1133550104.jpg

According to Christian legend, St Peter dropped the keys to Heaven and where they landed Cowslips grew.

In Norse mythology the plant was dedicated to Odin's wife, Frega, the goddess who held the keys to happiness and sexual love.

You can make wine too. Use the yellow bit.

Source: www.englishplants.co.uk/cowslip.html

zoo

Edited by zooloo

No kidding Adrian, nice one, thank you!! This is very interesting for me to know which actual flowers they are! In German language they are called "Schluesselblume"

They grow profusely in Oppy Wood.

Egbert, The little cigar case is beautiful. The colours are still so vivid. How lovely. I am envious of your Grandmother's needlework. I am useless at sewing.

Thank you for continuing...................

The artifacts were sent home from Merville in 3 incremental parcels. Gottfried's best buddy, Feldwebel Woellerth, took care everything -even the personal stuff in the rear area- was sent back home.

Well, personally I think the following artifact is the most moving and sobering one. What a heart-breaking piece of memory, especially for Grandmother. Touching, turning and holding all these years the large wallet, where the deadly shell splinter first impacted and than penetrated the body. Folks this is not about the general aspect of the devastating war - this is an individual fate to be told; watch this wallet of Gottfried it could be your NOK wallet representing each families desaster - friend and foe:

post-80-1133631705.jpg

The family is virtually and for real torn apart forever: Granddad KIA, the picture inside the wallet so very symbolic depicts the actual state of the family

post-80-1133642659.jpg

Egbert,

I've come very late to this thread and have just spent about an hour and a half reading it all.

I can't say anything that others haven't already said. It's an astonishing thread and brings your grandfather, his family and the tragedy of war right into the homes and hearts of every one of us.

Thank you for sharing it with us and for bringing your grandfather to life again for us all.

Christina

Taken from the "Dictionary of American Family Names"

Sandrock

German: topographic name denoting either someone who lived in or owned a sandy place where rye was grown (Middle High German sand ‘sand’ + rocke ‘rye’) or where a weed known as sandrocke grew.

Gottfried's little golden ones - beautiful.

I KNEW there would be somehting in that wallet! Gottfried would be SURE to have family photo!

What is the little blue folder? And do you have the keys to open it? :)

Marina

Thank you all for commenting.

Marina - the blue notebook!

What is written on this one page?

I can read mostly surnames, 3rd line says "2 messengers"

I can only speculate: since my Grandfather carried this notebook at the moment when he was killed, it might be related to warfare. Maybe the names are those of his NCOs and/or experienced men "Gruppenfuehrer" and the numbering refers to availability of men in the various groups. You notice that some names are scratched out, maybe because of KIA or WIA; the sum could be the strength of his platoon, as you can see melting away?

The top 2 names are followed by "3. Gr", respectively "5 Gr. " which could mean 3 rd "Gruppe"=Group and 5 Group, also speculation

post-80-1133718252.jpg

All very moving egbert.

How sad.

Susan.

Certainly seems to be something like that. if that is correct, then it is really sad - Stiletto's posts of casualty returns ahve the same effect.

So what's next from the trunk?

Marina

(I look forward to this every day!)

Egbert,

Can you cross-check the names with the German War Graves listings?

Ian

Would be possible and I also have the Verlustliste of IR 49. But I need help decipher the names

Hi Egbert

More beautiful finds.

Why has the folder the photographs are kept in have grid lines on them?

I thought at first it may be a grid to assist sketching

But has it a more militray use map reference grids or something?

Gunboat

Gunboat, thats another interesting observation! I did not think about this. So you think the plastic grid cover for the picture might be actually a Government issued plastic cover for maps etc? Could very well being "misused " as a coverage for a a personal picture! Thanx

Gunboat, thats another interesting observation! I did not think about this. So you think the plastic grid cover for the picture might be actually a Government issued plastic cover for maps etc? Could very well being "misused " as a coverage for a a personal picture! Thanx

I don't know for certain but it could be. It would make sense to have a plastic map cover and if a map was in the cover grid lines may not be so visible through the plastic especially at during twilight hours.

How big are the grids and does that correspond with maps in use at the time. I am sure one of the pals will be able to tell us.

I thought the grid would be a map overlay but woud it not be made of celluloid rather than plastic at such an early time?

So Gunboat and squirrel triggered my curiosity. I pulled the picture/cover again from the depths of ancient times and share the results with you. It is a plastic envelope with two plastic sides. Each side has a different grid pattern, a small and a larger one. Here is the larger one again (you see also the back side of the second picture):

post-80-1133806488.jpg