Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

American Gallantry Medals

Gordon Caldecott

Not content with handing Bronze Stars out to their own, the US are now giving them to the Brits. A couple of my former colleagues have been presented them and another was given the Meritoriuos Service Medal. There was also a rumour that one or two individuals were to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honour. It's spreading!!

NeilD

I never had it confirmed but when I first joined my battalion we had a couple of then Sncos and Officers with Korean UN Medals (bronze), and they were warned not to polish them to hard as in the center of them was a compressed circle of cardboard.

Can you let me know if I was fed a porky.

Rob

Rob,

The urban myth is true. The early UN medals were indeed made of compressed cardboard. An old and bold Sergeant-Major in my first Regt had one that fell apart on the parade square during a severe downpour and had to get it replaced. I believe now that hey are bronze (or bronze coated).

NeilD

In the USN and USMC, we were forbidden to polish medals. (According to the Awards Manual anyway) The only ones allowed to do so were the guys assigned "Palace Guard" duties in Washington.

I did try to polish my sword scabbard however, rubbed off the gilt wash and wound up with a nickel-plated scabbard throat. Had to replace the damn thing.

DrB

:)

Yes, I`d heard this urban myth too!!!!

I won`t hold my breath for my Bronze Star!!!! But thats a tale, for another day!!!!

post-2587-1130573198.jpg

Major General....2 Stars

Lieutenant General...3 stars

General..............4 stars

Hope this has been of some interest? :(