Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

American Gallantry Medals

Gordon Caldecott

Found these medals on ebay, thought they might be of interest....

Don`t know if i`ve asked this one before, but am i right in thinking that bravery medals, purple hearts and Long Service Medals, are the only named US medals, Campaign ones being issued unnamed?

post-2587-1130826901.jpg

post-2587-1130827150.jpg

post-2587-1130827185.jpg

Gordon...I can only speak (write) for myself.

I received a Good Conduct Medal from the Marine Corps...unnamed. Also received a Purple Heart in Viet Nam...unnamed, as well as a Navy Commendation Medal with "v" from "Nam....unnamed.

I really can't say anything about WWII or Korea.

Such was the naming of medals from the Corps or the Nav from about 1957-to?, and maybe still yet.

DrB

:)

Cheers DrB, that is interesting!!!!!!!!

Which kind of leads me to my next question......

I know its in the moves...but, in the films they always seem to be given their medals in the field, example wind talkers were old Nick gets a Silver Star off some General or other, Kelly`s Heros, the clerk throws a box at a General as he drives off in his jeep shouting "Don`t forget the medals". I assume that there must be some trueth in this, which would kind of comfirm what you said about yours being unamed? Any thought anyone?

Which again begs the question if this is true, what happens if a General gives someone a say Bronze Star, in the field and then later, it turns out, that he didn`t really deserve it or something, maybe the General gets killed or forgets who he`s given one to, and no trace of the award can be found on paper, what then???

A right can of worms, I think you`ll agree!!!!!!!!!!!

Gordon,

Talking of cans of worms - I've been trying to get hold of the MoD Medal Office (they still owe me a medal!!!). After hours hanging on the line I managed to speak to someone who informed me that the medal was approved - however their record show me having a different rank. I want the medal with the right details (not asking toomuch am I?). To top thinks off I have just discovered that the Veterans Lapel Badge should have been included with my Red Book and it wasn't. I shouldn't have to go chasing for these things (or am I being too picky?). Did you have any problems?

NeilD

Veterans lapel badge what on earth is that! Having left after 8 years in 1984 do I get one or is it a new thing.

Rob

PS thanks guys on confirming the UN cardboard story.

Rob,

Thanks for the help the other day. It was brought in earlier on this year and is designed to identify those who have served their country. I should have received one with my Leavers Pack but didn't. I spoke to a lady in the Veterans Agency who told me it should have accompanied the pack and I'm in the process of finding out where it is. You can find out if you go to:

http://www.mod.uk and under "Agencies" look for Veterans Agency they'll be able to help you.

Good Luck!!

NeilD

Gordon...there are really two ways to be decorated in the US armed forces.

One is after one returns "home" (the Land of the big PX!) Citation read, medal pinned on, etc. Unnamed.

The wearing of service or campaign awards are the responsibility of the recipient. They are not awarded in a formation. (Except in the movies) But, you must have an authorization in your personnel file stating that you merit this award. Otherwise....

The other is in the field and I have only seen very, very few given that way. Remember, this is the Marine Corps. The paperwork is phenominal. Battalion adjutant, div, corps, FMF Pac, Washington...all needing endorsements.

Then it turns around and trickles back down. Takes months generally, but in a combat situation, it is speeded up somewhat. Navy Crosses and above are expedited, Silver Stars and below generally not.

If a general gets killed, etc, there is always the paperwork to "prove" the award. In the Marine Corps, nothing is ever given in a spontaneous fashion.

I don't know about undeserved awards. The armed forces hate to admit they have made a mistake.

Hope this helps...

DrB

Rob & Neil,

I think you can get your Vets Badges from the RBL?

Or maybe by one?

Do you really want one?

Stick it out for your gong, it`ll be worth the wait. I`m expecting to wait about 100 years for my Iraq medal, so I bought a one off ebay as a gap filler, until mine arrives.

G

Korean War BRONZE STAR MEDAL w/paperwork + WWII medals!

KIA 1952, fought in WWII, MAJOR HOMER FRAZIER

post-2587-1131004851.jpg

post-2587-1131004870.jpg

post-2587-1131004889.jpg

Cheers DrB,

I assume that these medals, were issued State side & and ones issued in the Field are unnamed maybe, or named later? Just out of interest, whats the going rate for medals os this nature?

Gordon.

Gordon,

I would guess that all medals were issued unnamed and the names added later by the recipient at their own expense.

I was never told that the the US government would pay to have my awards named, and I was to cheap to have it done, ego.....

I apologise for not knowing the value of these, but you probably have a better idea than I do. The provenience is good on these, so that should add to their value.

Campaign medals for the US civil war-present have been reproduced, so their value, without provenience, is quite low, regardless of what the dealers tout as "genuine," much like the British cap badges available today.

DrB

I was lucky enough to win the Generals Bronze Star, but not his Commendation Medal.

Just out of interest can anyone tell me how I could go about finding anything out about him?

Gordon.

I think I would flail around with the US Army in Washington, D.C. Doubtless they have, somewhere, a bio on this guy. Googling would be the answer I should think.

DrB

Cheers DrB, I`ll give them a try when I rotate back to the real world.

Saw these one ebay, thought they looked rather interesting!!!

post-2587-1131275680.jpg

Must have switched alligences. In the one photo on the right, he is wearing a Marine uniform.

DrB

Hi Guys,

Came across this medal group,

EARLY VIETNAM KIA SOLDIERS MEDAL GROUPING NAMED TO ROQUE PERPETUA FROM HAWAII , WAS KIA ON 12-17-1966 . THIS SOLDIER IS A HERO AND EARNED THE USA 3RD HIGHEST DECORATION, THE SILVER STAR. YOU GET ALL ITEMS AND MEDALS IN THE PICTURES, ALONG WITH HIS DOG TAG. RARE AND HARD TO FIND ANY KIA SOLDIERS MEDAL GROUP FROM HAWAII.

Does anyone know a way of confirming the information about his K.I.A status?

Gordon.

post-2587-1131872324.jpg

Cheers DD, it seems to be a right mine field out there doesn`t it!!!!

Would you mind having a closer look at the Gulko Bronze Star picture, and giving me your opinion? I paid $69 for it have I been had?

Gordon.