Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Unknown Soldier

stevew

Suppose someone wrote a book or an article that demonstrated beyond all doubt the identity of the "British" Unknown Soldier, and named him. Or even from which cemetery he was chosen? A tall story, and an achievement even more difficult than winning the Lottery, I know.

Would not that be a dreadful thing to do? A magnificent piece of detective work and research perhaps, but surely indecent? This is why I find even low grade Nth-hand information or evidence or speculation a little disturbing.

Am I the only one that takes comfort in the thought that millions of grieving relatives could believe that, just maybe, their loved one was thus honoured, to lie among Kings?

I've taken the liberty to update the page:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~aur/layout/frames.ht...ubourg-Pave.htm

If you still get the old page with one photograph, please use the 'refresh' button.

Rose Coombs has this picture also in her book 'Before Endeavours Fade'.

What do we all prefure: the French way (giving honour to those not chosen) or the British way (putting the ones not chosen back on the battlefield and check later on if they were found and reburied as true unknowns)?

Regards,

Marco

Ps wasn't Weygand was wrong in the Blitz Krieg as well? :)

Suppose someone wrote a book or an article that demonstrated beyond all doubt the identity of the "British" Unknown Soldier, and named him.  Or even from which cemetery he was chosen?  A tall story, and an achievement even more difficult than winning the Lottery, I know. 

Would not that be a dreadful thing to do?

This is eactly what happened in America when the Unknown Soldier from the Vietnam conflict (I think it was) was identified as Lieutenant Michael Blassie.

Lieut. Blassie now has a named grave and the national "unknown" tomb lies empty, I believe.

Must have been a difficult decision for someone to take, having worked out the identity. To tell or not to tell? Especially as the soldier's immediate family were still alive and probably wishing (like so many others) that they had a grave to visit. Not a decision I'd want to land myself with.

Thanks Marco,

It is probable that they may have been taken to the Chapel before being interred at Fauberg and Weygand got it wrong or his ADC didn't get him the full story..

I'll note your page for future reference.

Aye

Malcolm

The identity of the " unknown American " from Vietnam had been known all along, Reagan and his bunch wanted a nice ceremony. The cat was let out of the bag when the family wanted the man buried at home.

The identity of the " unknown American " from Vietnam had been known all along, Reagan and his bunch wanted a nice ceremony. The cat was let out of the bag when the family wanted the man buried at home.

Apologies for my error then, Paul. I heard that the family had received a call from a stranger telling them that their relative was the man buried as the Unknown Soldier and that this was the first they knew of it.

Tom

No need to apologize Tom I bet that's true. I did not say family knew all along, military had a real good idea who it was for some time and family did ask for a test so it's quite logical that someone tipped them that there was a deception about.

• 1 month later...
The book referred to by Garth and Iain is "The Story of the Unknown Warrior" by Michael Gavaghan, (M&L Publications, Preston, Lancashire, 1995).

Although it's a slim book, it tells what is basically a simple story, so it covers just about everything there is to tell. And as others have said, it's an excellent read.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I managed to get a copy of the book from the Shell Hole on a recent trip to Ieper.

An excellent read!

Slightly off thread but kind of related if that makes sense! I remember my great distaste at being under the Arc de Triomphe, and seeing someone using the eternal flame to cook on, in a mess tin. My anger was only tempered by the arrival of 7 very large and heavily armed French CRS riot police who quite rightly took this moron into custody. I have no doubt that he was made to see the error of his ways and will maybe start to behave more like a civilised human being in future.

Thankyou. Rant over.

Slightly off thread but kind of related if that makes sense! I remember my great distaste at being under the Arc de Triomphe, and seeing someone using the eternal flame to cook on, in a mess tin. My anger was only tempered by the arrival of 7 very large and heavily armed French CRS riot police who quite rightly took this moron into custody. I have no doubt that he was made to see the error of his ways and will maybe start to behave more like a civilised human being in future.

Thankyou. Rant over.

He was probably safer with the CRS than if some ex-Legionaires had seen him!!

Serve him right if it had been the other way round though. :angry:

Aye

Malcolm