Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glasgow Roll of Honour on Ebay?

DMcNay

Just noticed this item for sale on Ebay. Any thoughts on it?

Glasgow Roll of Honour

I'm a little unsure, but a wee bit of searching hasn't turned up any copies of this for sale in places like Abebooks.

What do you think? Is it worth a flutter?

If it was me and I was interested in Glasgow, I'd go for it. It looks like a potentially really useful document, and you could use it without having to worry that it might fall apart at any moment - as an original copy might do. Maybe you could get it and keep your eyes peeled for an original turning up elsewhere?

Swizz

Hi David,

Yes, I had noted this item - it sounds promising. I was thinking about bidding, but will leave the field open for you - there will not be that many names in it that I am looking for (it's a bit too central Scotland for my research). However, if you do win the bidding could you please let me know - a few look-ups of S.W. Scotland 'strays' would be much appreciated.

However, if you decide not to bid would you also please let me know (by PM).

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Yes, I think I will bid. It seems a good deal. I was going to offer lookups to the forum if I am successful in getting it, so fingers crossed.

David

oh well thats me out of the running as well,i had put a watch on it,but if you are going for it dave then good luck mate,dont bid too much dave,they have been on e,bay before,so theres always another chance,albeit the seller has a few copies and they will see who bids,when the auctions over they usually contact the losers and offer them a spare copy that they suddenly didnt know they had, <_< crafty gits,good hunting mate,bernard

Well, I don't intend to bid any more if I am outbid, so everyone should maybe keep an eye on it anyway just in case.

Cheers,

David

Hello to the Forum.

David, I have just read your post regarding the GHR on Ebay it is a photo copied version of the book. I have a copy of the Glasgow Honour roll and would be more than happy to do look-ups, but saying that it only gives name, rank, unit, and address.

Cheers Rob

About 3 years ago I am sure someone listed about 5 or 6 straight after each other (and thats just the ones I noticed) I guess he stopped when he had basically sodl to all those interested and interest and prices dropped - maybe this is him back hoping for a new market. It may even be worth mailing him direct and asking about a straight sale of a copy.

Alistair

Hey, that ME you're all talking about!!!!!!

It was sold cause I needed to raise cash for my car tax, car insurance, TV licence fee, MOT and yearly service - all due THIS month! All this and looming redundancy – ain’t I a lucky boy!

You are right, it is a copy. I don't have the real thing. I bought it like it is from Speedbid years ago. I did think about the photocopying and selling to the other bidders scam, but would have to have used the photocopier here at work and didn't fancy loosing my job before my redundancy pay out for the sake of a tenner! Anyway, I couldn't be bothered in the end. Actually, it was really quite good, don't know where the original owner got the copy from but it had about 2,000 names in it - good when Soldiers Died listed the casualty as a Glaswegian, but no details on CWGC. Every Glasgow casualty I checked was listed in it.

I can confirm that the seller (me) is good and honest and clean and lovely and nice to animals, and a big hit with the ladies. If anyone wants to pledge any money to my fund, please email me directly - your donations will be gratefully received. :P

Duncan.

p.s. it was about the only thing I sold that actually had any bidders. Also had a load of WW1 Czech medals – lots of watchers, no bidders.

To be honest, I was hoping you had another copy you could have offered as a second chance to buy.

Never mind. I think the Mitchell Library has a copy of the original. Time to pay a visit with a load of coins for the photocopier, perhaps...

I could look someone up for you if you want. Don't want to take the risk of copying it though - it's nearly 1 1/2" thick - particularly as our managers were annoyed at the 'over use' of the photocopier and how much it was costing them!

Thanks for the offer Duncan. There's no-one specific I want to look up, I was just interested in getting a copy as it was within my sphere of interest.

Besides, the Mitchell library also have the Glasgow RoH for the 2nd World War as well, so I might get a copy of both and combine them.

If you get the WW2 RoH I wouldnt mind a copy - dont mind paying for you to make a second copy or can maybe get access to a copier if you lend me the copy you make (dont worry havent forgotten your Wishy and Camby booklet - I think I need to scan and print it but the copy I have borrowed is a bit fragile)

Cheers

Alistair

Alistair.

Any luck with the Cambusnethan North Church Memorial.

Cheers Rob.

Not yet - I never seem to be around when the doors are open - I went to photograph the Old Parish one on Saturday but the gates were locked.

Alistair

Which one is Cambusnethan North? Is that the memorial in the shape of an arch in front of the church? I always thought that was a very nice lookign memorial.

(I get confused because there's been about four different Cambusnethan Churches, including one nowhere near Cambusnethan!)

The old Parish is the one at the top of the hill nearest Wishaw town center - then their is the old ruined one across the road - then across the next road its the North Parish.

Alistair

The old Parish is the one at the top of the hill nearest Wishaw town center - then their is the old ruined one across the road - then across the next road its the North Parish.

Alistair

Got you.

Then there's the very original Cambusnethan Church, which is down near the banks of the Clyde, and is now an overgrown disused graveyard where the Belhaven Mausoleum was. Why it's called Cambusnethan I don't know, it's almost in Motherwell...

I know Cambusnethan house is by the Clyde - its name relates to the Parish of Cambusnethan which I believe covers Wishaw and I think all the way down to the Clyde rather than Cambusnethan village - I know if on the CWGC website you search under cemetaries for Cambusnethan you get the graveyard with about 67 names and another place with 1 name that I think is down by Cambusnethan House.

Thinking about it I think I now know where you mean - I have passed it on the bike - I didnt realise it was called Cambusnethan Church too - its just through the Daziel estate isnt it - but as Dalziel is also teh name of a Parish it seems an odd position.

Alistair

I know Cambusnethan house is by the Clyde - its name relates to the Parish of Cambusnethan which I believe covers Wishaw and I think all the way down to the Clyde rather than Cambusnethan village - I know if on the CWGC website you search under cemetaries for Cambusnethan you get the graveyard with about 67 names and another place with 1 name that I think is down by Cambusnethan House.

The place with one name (I think it's a Corporal in the Cameronians) is in the old Cambusnethan churchyard, the ruined one you mentioned before in between the two existing ones. It's tucked away in a corner, but it's still accessible. I have a photo of the grave I'll dig out and send to you if you want.

Thinking about it I think I now know where you mean - I have passed it on the bike - I didnt realise it was called Cambusnethan Church too - its just through the Daziel estate isnt it - but as Dalziel is also teh name of a Parish it seems an odd position.

Alistair

If you turn left at Arnold Clark, passing the Cherry Tree pub and go donw the hill, it's down that way, if you know where I am.

It's worth a look, a totally deserted and ruined graveyard in the middle of nowhere with a massive great mausoleum in the middle of it.

The place with one name (I think it's a Corporal in the Cameronians) is in the old Cambusnethan churchyard, the ruined one you mentioned before in between the two existing ones. It's tucked away in a corner, but it's still accessible. I have a photo of the grave I'll dig out and send to you if you want.

If you turn left at Arnold Clark, passing the Cherry Tree pub and go donw the hill, it's down that way, if you know where I am.

It's worth a look, a totally deserted and ruined graveyard in the middle of nowhere with a massive great mausoleum in the middle of it.

So they consider the graves around the ruined church (including the record "bouncing" baby) and the main cemetary as two differnt locations even though they are right by each other. No need to dig out the photo of the grave its only a 10 minute walk and I need to go along soon anyway - my great uncle had a memorial stone by his relatives grave in the cemetary and my dad showed me it many years ago but when we looked again I couldnt find it - I will try again as I would like to place a cross on it on the 90th anniversary of his death. I will also pop along to place a cross down at Thornley church as that is where his name is (I believe)

When I passed the overgrown cemetary I had a bit of a look around - very eerie place

Thanks

Alistair

Dave.

The graveyard on the Clyde is the old "Covenanters Graveyard" there used to be some very interesting old gravestones in that cemetary, I think at one time it was in the old parish of Belhaven, the name Cam'nethan means bend in the river so that may well be the reason for the name, I remember going down there with my Dad many moons ago.

Yours Aye Rob.

I am going to the Mitchell Library to-morrow if anyone wants me to copy anything from

Glasgow Roll of Honour.They also have all volumes of Soldiers died in the Great war.