Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books, articles at present underway

christine liava'a

I'm (supposed to be) working on an article on one of great grandfathers. He was in the 21st Bn CEF and was wounded at St. Eloi...and Tom, if you read this, it will be done before the next millenium :D

I'm also doing a couple more articles on the Battle of Culloden and its aftermath for the Clan Davidson Association.

Unit History - 9th Bn, King's (Liverpool Regt.)

It started as a genealogical interest but now I'm hooked. I'm nowhere near publication, still gathering information, so I will be interested to follow the experiences of other Pals.

Secondly, and an off-shoot of the above is an account of the men of my town (Ormskirk, Lancashire) who served in the Great War. I can't believe how many names I have so far for such a small market town. Since it won't have the same flowing narrative as a unit history, I'm hoping to make this a social/military history of the effects of the war on the town and the story of the men who marched away to war.

There, that sounds like I know what I'm doing, doesn't it? I don't know why, because I have no experience, just plenty of enthusiasm and a feeling that I owe these men a lot.

As always, any relevant material will be welcomed.

Regards,

Ken

Hi Ken

There, that sounds like I know what I'm doing, doesn't it? I don't know why, because I have no experience, just plenty of enthusiasm and a feeling that I owe these men a lot

I was in your boat when I worked on my book about the 6th K.S.L.I., and like you it started out as just a genealogical interest in the K.S.L.I., I never set out to write a book. I had no experience in writing (always fell asleep in English at school) or publishing, its like doing the Grand National, lots of pit falls, but its great when you pass the finishing line.

Good luck to every working on books or articles, keep up the good work.

Annette

G'day All,

With Steve Drew, I am working on a trilogy of books, the first being Australians that served with the RNAS and then with RFC and finally a book on the personnel of the Australian Flying Corps during the Great War. A RAF section will be attached to each book depending on what service the person originated from. If a person only served with the RAF it will be attached to the RFC book. I hope that makes sense.

The RNAS book has been a long time in production and hopefully will see the light of day mid 2004. With that behind us the RFC book should hopefully be out in 2005 and the final book/books on the AFC probably will not be out until 2007.

BTW Christine if you want a copy of Harry Worralls RNAS service record in xl format let me know. It is not extensive. I also have a photo of his medal group.

Regards,

Andrew Smith.