Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books, articles at present underway

christine liava'a

There seem to be several members of the site who are at present writing either books or articles about various aspects of WW1.

query;

How many are doing this for a qualification etc, compared to those who are doing it out of interest?

suggestion;

Could those authors list the name , if decided upon, and topic of their work, here, so others can see what is being done, and maybe offer help, advice, whatever.

my answers;

genealogical interest

They Did Their Duty; Qaravi na'i Tavi

Soldiers from Fiji in the Great War

Unit history:

'Swansea's Own - the Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh) in the Great War'.

To be published next year. Especially interested in illustrations relevant to the subject.

Bernard Lewis

Unit history:

'London Pride: The Social History of the 19th Battalion London Regiment 1914-19'

(a working title - I rather happen to like the beer of the same name!)

Ive been working on this for several years, and am currently signing up to do an MA as I have decided that I need the academic discipline. My grandfather was a company commander and CO, and I have 300 or so letters that he wrote whilst with the battalion.

I haven't decided on a title yet, but my book will be on Fremantle people in World War One.

Initially I was only going to research those that died, but there were many who came back, that because of their war service were never the same. I think they also deserved to be remembered.

I wish I had done something like this for my history degree, but this project started through my own interest and the fact that I've always lived around this area I wanted to find out more about the people who lived here more than 80 years ago.

Cheers

Andrew

Guest stevebec

Book on the unit history of the "Fighting Battalions of the Imperial Camel Corps" this name is still not solid.

It will deal with all four battalions of the ICC and include a nominal roll of most AIF members and limited numbers of UK, NZ and Indians.

S.B

`Sternest of Tests', a study of the British Army as an organisation during 1914-18. To be published by Cassell in August 2004.

Charles M

'Lives Laid Aside: The Roll of Honour of Bury Grammar School, Lancashire'. (Provisional title). I have been working on this off and on for several years. The first part 'The Ypres Salient' will, God willing, appear in time for our tenth anniversary battlefields tour and the dedication of a memorial plaque at St George's Church, Ieper.

Hi Christine

This is a great idea.

Title - The History of Regular Battalions of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry, 1914-19. This may be used as the title but I am many years away from the finished article, so I may of thought of a different title by then).

Topic of work - the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions.

Reasons for book - doing it out of interest and there is little up to date work on King's Shropshire Light Infantry, its my mission in life to re-dress this in balance.

Annette

I'm actually working on four at present, but like Anne I am some way from completion. This is the list, in order of maturity.

1. My most advanced. The Great War history of the 1st Battalion, the South Staffordshire Regiment. An interest I've had for years, probably inspired because there is no written history of this unit. How did it come about? The battalion was formed in the early 1700's in the pub I used to frequent as a teenager. The King's Head in Lichfield, if you're interested. Good pint of Marston's Pedigree. Well, that was 20 years ago. You can probably buy an orange and pink alcopop there now.

2. Not far behind. The Belgian Army in the Great War. I am an avowed fan of things Belgian, as those who have endured my talks on this subject will know.

3. The war of production. This is of professional interest as I am a manufacturing engineer - not that there's any British manufacturing to be an engineer of any more (thanks Mrs T. ;) ). Subject is macroeconomic warfare, telling the tale of how Britain had already suffered a decisive economic defeat way before 1914, and relied on Empire and USA to keep it in the war. The war did not do the Central Powers much good economically, either.

4. The battle of Loos. Inspired by my work on the Staffords, and the fact that the published literature on this affair is pretty thin.

They are all title-less so if anyone has any ideas they would be gratefully received.

I have not approached any publishers, etc so if anyone has any tips - I'm all ears.

As may be seen from many of my posts I am studying Lt-General Sir Thomas D'Oyly Snow and Major-General George Townshend Forestier-Walker.

Both men served around each other or are connected to each other in some way 21st and 27th divisional commands, Le Cateau 1914 and so on but that was a happy coincidence, i started this when i came across both men when reading up about Smith-Dorrien. It is hard going but enjoyable when i get an extra fact. Snow has much written work still available at IWM i have yet to see but F-W is alot harder as his papers were destroyed upon his death. Both men cover alot of history from Beor to Somaliland to Curragh to just about all the major battles of the first world war and the Salonika front which is causing me to delve into battles in a big way to study how they performed.

This is being done for my own interest with no intention of publication, unless of course my public demands it but when i have finished i'll see how its gone, mind you the rate i am going it will be finished around 2010.

Arm.

I am due to write an MA dissertation for the Social and Cultural History MA at Leeds Metropolitan University (Leeds Poly as was)

I will be looking at the social impact of the first worls war and the somme in particular on Leeds, including looking at some of the myths surrounding the first day of the battle.

John

'Under the Devil's Eye - Britain's Forgotten Balkan Army 1915-18.' To be published by Suttons in Sept -Oct 2004.

It will be a history of the British Salonika Force concentrating on telling the story of the men and women who served in Macedonia during WWI. It will include a wealth of previously unpublished personal accounts. The Campaign has been more or less ignored since Alan Palmer wrote 'The Gardeners of Salonika' in 1965.

I am working on a few things:

1. Bisseghem 1914-1918 - a history of my home village in Flanders during WW1 (the book should be published in November 2004 wit an exhibition)

2. an article about Walter Enders, a German observer/gunner

3. a few articles about German war cemeteries in Flanders

4. an article about Generals KIA or DoW in Flanders during WW1.

Jan

(1) The history of the Labour Corps and military labour during WW1 - working title. Hopefully to be completed by end of year. Being written jointly with Lieutenant Colonel John Starling (RPC).

(2) Keith, Banffshire - ongoing project on both men of Keith and life in the town.

Chris, I published my first and so far only book myself, its very hard work (especially when you have had no experience in going such a thing) plus when self publishing you have to fork out all the money for printing ect, but I got a lot of Satisfaction in doing it all myself.

Regards

Annette

Hi,

Having recently had my first book, 'God's Own', published (Co authour with Roger Dowson) which covers the 15th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers 1914 up to and including July 1st 1916. I am working on the following:

1st/7th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers 1914 - 1915.(Co authour with Roger Dowson). This book Covers their time in the UK, Egypt and Gallipoli. This book is now almost completed and it is hoped will be published by the end of 2003 in a similar format to 'God's Own'.

Men of Irlam & Cadishead (Greater Manchester) who lost their lives in the Great War. This research has been ongoing and sadly put to one side time and time again for a number of years, but now nearing it's end. It will cover those who served, died, won awards, POW's etc boigraphical entries with photo's. Hope to have it published mid 2004.

2nd Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers 1914. This book has been completed (almost) and covers the service of this battalion from August 1914 until the December, with detailed write up's on officers, casualties, those who won awards, and finally a comprehensive medal roll for those entitles to the 'Mons Star' which has been greatly enhanced by the addition of information from CWGC/SDGW, POW lists, wounded lists, newspaper articles, obituaries, gallantry/honours lists etc etc

My next subject will be the 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers on April 25th 1915. Covering in detail the events of that day (and from 1914 leading up to it), but concentrating mainly on the officers and men present with detailed coverage of some of those present and a thorough and comprehensive roll of all LF's who took part in the Landing (many entries covering brief post war information and dates of death into the 1960's, 70's etc).

Many thanks Neil.

For personal/genealogical interest.

"Cinnabar Trench: Russians Fighting and Dying For King and Country"

I have determined that at least 2 other Russian men fought alongside my grandfather in August 1917 at Lens. All were casualties. How they got there is an interesting tale.

I have also been toying with making the story "historical fiction", that is, based on fact enhanced with some educated speculation/guesses. What do Pals think about this type of article/book? :huh:

Peter

Peter many serious readers of history are dubious about such a format. When a known historical figure is quoted as saying something I want to know there is evidence it was said.

“With our backs to the Wall……”: The Battles of the Lys, April 1918.

This for my MA thesis, due in November 2004.

And an article, perhaps entitled "Remembrance - Then and Now", based on the essay I've just handed in, provided its a pass!!!! :unsure:

Thanks to the pals again for their help on the survey. Special mention for Myrtle. And just a snippet..... 27 of us have researched or are researching 16,000 men!!! Their name liveth...........

An interesting response! and hopefully more to come.

An opportunity here for someone to be a publisher!

No book but have finished research on Harry Freame, called by Bean greatest scout on Anzac. He was half Japanese, quite unusual for Australian of the time. He was from - get ready for this- KENTUCKY NSW. That's why I started researching him. Soon learned his story had already been done so ST! article will be largely the work of the man who had already done this and good thing too, I never could have matched his work. His wife is related to a relative and she had some things.

Not a book but an article. Provisional title - "Dear Mates" - Elizabeth Garnett and the Navvy Newsletter.

Terry Reeves

If I can

a. finish the research

b. write the book

c. find a publisher

by 2013 you will be able to buy

'We Have Not Been Afraid' - The origins and Great War service of the 5th (Sutherland & Caithness Highland) Bn, The Seaforth Highlanders.

I might come up with a better title in the next 10 years but I like this one which is taken from a poem by Ewart Alan MacKintosh -

Maybe that we shall drive them,

Maybe we fight in vain,

We care not now our fathers,

Are born in us again.

When the old voices called us,

We heard them and obeyed,

Whether we die or conquer,

We have not been afraid.

- which in turn refers to the battalion motto of 'Sans Peur'.

I don't think the timescale is too ambitious ....... :)

Jock

'The Currie War Memorial - with details of Balerno and Juniper Green' - a study of the 162 men and women who died WW1 and the 38 WW2 - published privately.

Working on ' Crieff War Memorial ' at present and other ongoing adding to my knowledge iyems.

Aye

Malcolm

retired early - ex Electrical Engineering Edinburgh University

If I live to be 150, when I have more than one hour a week and the children are offering to help, you will see:

'A social amd military history of the 14th (King's) Hussars and 20th Hussars' - or a more interesting title. Any non-published, non-museum, sources out there?