Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl. Frank Hill KIA 05/04/1918

Guest C729LEE

Jim and Chaps,

Starting to make a little headway in the quest to get our Frank Hill a bit of recognition.

After stumping up the £3.50 for the MIC, which was minimal in its information, taking a few photos in Huttoft, and contacting a very nice gentleman at the CWGC, Mr. Clegg and Mr. Stainthorpe, a Medal Roll lands on my doorstep. This verifies my thought that he was with the 8th Bn. Linc. R.

Also on the roll are men who took consecutive numbers, as you find often with these Rolls.

As we have noted previously, 21315 Pte. Elvin is listed as KIA 06/08/16 with the 1st Bn., then 21321 Cpl. Shepherd KIA 21/03/18 also of the 1st Bn., and then interestingly 21313 Pte. Green KIA 26/03/18. Green was Born and resided in Winteringham, near Scunthorpe and then enlisted in Scunthorpe.

Frank Hill was known to be a Police Officer in the town at the time of his attestation and joining up.

We are getting a little closer. Rather than the original 48 OR's KIA/DOW on that day, it would seem that we lost 49, plus one officer 2nd Lt. Francis Brown M./C., of the 63rd T.M.B.

Below is the only memorial to Frank Hill, erected in conjunction with the grave of a sister.

Not finished yet though!

Got to get him on the CWGC somewhere :)

Lee in Lincs

Ian

Yes, Terry came up with that one earlier on, and Jack Clegg from CWGC checked it out, too. But thanks for your interest and the suggestion. They are pretty good on this GWF, and not much passes them by.

My turn to snooze on.

Lee

Lee,

Glad to see you're making some headway.

Any idea of Frank's age? I know the Lincolnshire Archives have some AVLs, he might be on one of them.

Jim