Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshires War Diaries

Roy Evans

I now have the war diaries for the 2nd, 1/5th, 1/6th and 7th South Staffordshires in full.

Happy as ever to do look-ups.

Roy

Roy,

Re: 1/5th and 1/6th.

Out of interest, are these from the originals from the PRO?

Regards,

Steve.

Hello Roy - I'd be very interested in any mention of 2/Lt John Aubrey MOORE of the 7th - killed in action on or about the 9th August 1915 in the Dardanelles.

Best wishes,

Simon

Roy,

Re: 1/5th and 1/6th.

Out of interest, are these from the originals from the PRO?

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

Yes, sample page attached.

post-336-1126808698.jpg

Hello Roy - I'd be very interested in any mention of 2/Lt John Aubrey MOORE of the 7th - killed in action on or about the 9th August 1915 in the Dardanelles.

Best wishes,

Simon

Simon,

Not possible I'm afraid. I have it on very good authority that the diary covering the early days was lost at sea during the exit from Gallipoli. After Gallipoli the 7th then went to guard the Suez Canal for a time before moving to France.

The later diary starts with their departure from Suez on 28/6/16. I find it hard to believe that the initial diary was not done in triplicate or whatever but if it was, no trace now survives. :(

Roy

roy, can you look up what it says in the 2nd south staffs war diary on 1 /11/18

thanks

enoch

roy, can you look up what it says in the 2nd south staffs war diary on 1 /11/18

thanks

enoch

It says this:

post-336-1126813262.jpg

thankyou roy, for the scan. one of my local men was killed on the 1st(pte george smart) so i was wondering if there was any mention of casualities on the day.

thanks again

enoch

thankyou roy, for the scan. one of my local men was killed on the 1st(pte george smart) so i was wondering if there was any mention of casualities on the day.

thanks again

enoch

You're probably aware that O.R. deaths don't usually get mentioned by name and frequently, as in this case, their passing is not even deemed worthy of a mention in the diary. Often the only mention of them is as figures in a monthly casualty report.

Several times I have seen diary entries reading "A quiet day" or words to that effect, only to find from SDGW that some poor guy such as your man got unlucky.

Roy

Thanks anyway Roy.

Best

Simon

Simon,

Not possible I'm afraid. I have it on very good authority that the diary covering the early days was lost at sea during the exit from Gallipoli. After Gallipoli the 7th then went to guard the Suez Canal for a time before moving to France.

The later diary starts with their departure from Suez on 28/6/16. I find it hard to believe that the initial diary was not done in triplicate or whatever but if it was, no trace now survives.  :(

Roy

Roy,

Any mention of Capt. Samuel Percy Smith, 1/5th Bn. He was killed 28 Feb. 1917

A friend of mine has just acquired his medals, plaque and photographs. Where was the battalion on that day?

Thanks

Steve

2/Lt John Aubrey MOORE of the 7th - killed in action on or about the 9th August 1915 in the Dardanelles

The published battalion history mentions Lt J.A. Moore among the officer casualties but does not mention him any more than that in the chapter on Suvla Bay.

Roy,

Any mention of Capt. Samuel Percy Smith, 1/5th Bn. He was killed 28 Feb. 1917

A friend of mine has just acquired his medals, plaque and photographs. Where was the battalion on that day?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Here is the entry for your man. In direct contradiction of an earlier post in this thread, it also mentions some O.R.s by name. ;)

Roy

post-336-1126943642.jpg

The published battalion history mentions Lt J.A. Moore among the officer casualties but does not mention him any more than that in the chapter on Suvla Bay.

The 7th spent much of their time at Gallipoli in the vicinity of Chocolate Hill, but I can't remember how I know that!

Roy

The 7th spent much of their time at Gallipoli in the vicinity of Chocolate Hill, but I can't remember how I know that!

Roy

Now I can!

There is quite a lot about the 7th on August 9th in The Official History. I will scan it and post later.

Roy

That would be great Roy - cheers.

Simon

Now I can!

There is quite a lot about the 7th on August 9th in The Official History. I will scan it and post later.

Roy

That would be great Roy - cheers.

Simon

If this one is OK I'll post the others.

Roy

post-336-1126982172.jpg

Simon,

I wonder if your man was one of the "all four company commanders were hit"

Roy

Thanks Roy,

I feel sorry for Nobody, having shells fired into his bottom  :blink:

Steve

I'm not even going to dignify that remark with a reply. :P

Roy - marvellous - thanks.

Wouldn't a company commander be a full Lt as opposed to a 2/Lt?

Roy - marvellous - thanks.

Wouldn't a company commander be a full Lt as opposed to a 2/Lt?

Simon,

As ever, I'm happy to be corrected but my understanding is that a Company Commander could be either, especially in situations of high attrition.

Roy