Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 papers found

Graham Smith

First off,

Roy, I owe you a pint or six. That information is just what I was after I can now 'plot' a few days away retracing some of Williams steps (Maybe not to Cairo though) <_<

Doug,

Thanks for the welcome. The photos are posted in the gallery section under members gallery on the very last page (8) Look forward to meeting you soon.

Dycer,

Well I know that after his return from France he never went back. I have yet to find out if he returned to the TF (I don't know if he could)(Roy, Doug, help!)

What I can tell you is he was for a time a 'shattered' man. He began to drink and I mean drink.

I can only remember him talking to me about the war a couple of times. (I was an army barmy kid) I can still remember his bright Blue eyes filling with tears. His wife (Laura she is in the pictures) would tell him to stop, not shouting but in a voice which would stop William in his tracks.

I will quiz my dad further about what William did after he got back from France, but as I say I think he just returned to his employment as a locksmith.

First off,

Roy, I owe you a pint or six. That information is just what I was after I can now 'plot' a few days away retracing some of Williams steps (Maybe not to Cairo though)  <_<

Graham,

No problem, in my book this is what the forum is all about. One pint will do as I'll probably be driving!

It seems that 2/Lt Stone was attached to 1/8th King's Liverpool Regt. when he got shot on 20/09/17.

As regards to Iper, check out the Last Post Ass'n. website before you go.

Roy

Graham,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately or fortunately,depending how you view it, my Uncle remains in France so his Family were spared the post-War experiences you describe.

George

Well I know that after his return from France he never went back. I have yet to find out if he returned to the TF (I don't know if he could)(Roy, Doug, help!)

Graham,

I'm certainly no expert but I was surprised that he was able to quit the fighting on the grounds that his 'contract' had expired, especially as conscription was in force by then. I would have thought it more likely that he was discharged on medical grounds.

Does his M.I.C. give a clue?

Roy

Roy,

MIC?

Is that the Medal Index card? Just guessing here

If it is I don't have that document :(

The documents I have mentioned are the only info I have on William

I will visit my own dad soon so I can glean a bit more of the story off him (he is in his 70's though so some of the facts get lost :rolleyes: )

Doug,

Many thanks for those links I have broken into the kids money banks and scrapped the £3.50 together :o

I have the MIC in front of me

Arrived in 1 France 5.3.15

medals awarded

Victory F/101B Page 5

British do do

15 Star S or T(?) 2.B.5 Page 355

The above (?) bracketed question marks are just off me to indicate that the copied MIC is a little unclear to read at these items

In the remarks field of the form it looks like its endorsed with Dis 18.4.16

In the top right corner of that field are the marks N/T next to the numbers

3 3/60 written as you would a fraction. Any ideas what this indicates its also shown on other MIC's of Smiths that served with the S/Staffs (I seem to have downloaded 6 William T Smiths MIC's for various regt's. 3 S/Staffs)

Well thats all that I can see on his MIC

Blimey aint computers clever.......£3.50 and you are viewing history B)

Graham

Just by way of an update to this thread.

A couple of questions were asked about what William did after his return from France.

Well I saw my dad today and asked him this is the gist of what he said

It seems that William had a whisper that many of the company records had been destroyed in a fire. The whole lot of the men were told to report to the admin building (HQ?) to check a few things out. They were all asked about how long they had signed on for......(It could be a couple of years or till the end of hostilities)

When asked, William told the officer it was two years. That wasn't true but William had had his fill of sensless slaughter.

So he had done his time and was not required to re-enlist or face conscription.

This may also explain why he hit the booze too.

Dad went on to say that William was out of work for a fair few years as he would have to appear before something he called the 'means test panel'. The men on the panel were all ex officers from the South Staffs and they rejected him every time for work. William believed that this was due to the fact that he refused to sign on till the end of hostilities.

Who knows.

He was still a good man who raised his kids to the best of his abilities. He tried to teach me how to play his bugle but I'm afraid I was crap at that too :P

Graham,

What your Grandfather described is the "Poor Law" which he and many of his contemporaries had to endure during the Depression during the 20 and 30's.Many of the older generation still resist claiming Social Security Benefits today due the enduring feeling of stigma as a consequence of what their parents had to do to obtain financial assistance during the inter-War years.

The Beveridge Report in the 1940's tried to ensure that returning Servicemen from WW2 did not have to suffer the same idignities as the Men returning from WW1.

I am sure many Soldiers in your Grandfathers situation would have made the same choice.At least he did not have to live with the shame of a self-inflicted wound.

George

The remarks part will mean Discharged 18-4-1916.

There is still a good possibility that he should have been conscripted back into the army. Many of the Time-Expired men were given the choice of a few weeks leave and then they could sign up again to their Regiment of choice (if possible) or go back into the world and face conscription. As trained and able bodied men the ex-soldiers were usually conscripted PDQ.

If you post a pic of the MIC we may be able to tell you more.

Steve.

Steve,

If I could manage this bl**dy computer I would post a picture, but alas my 'skills' in changing things from one format to another are somewhat lacking.

Anyroadup I have mentioned all the dates and information that is show on the MIC on a previous post.

As I say, he just never went back.