Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 papers found

Graham Smith

This is my first post so please bear with me. :blink:

We have come across a Red envelope fastened with a 'popper' that bears a message signed The Secretary, War Office, London, SW

Inside are the following: Army form B2067 and Army form E511

Both relate to my late Grandad William Thomas Smith

The documents state that he was Private 558 6th South Staffordshire Regiment.

Form E511 states he joined the territorial Force in April 1908 with a total service in the TA as 8 years and 5 days with 1 year 256 days embodied service.

Form B2067 states he was;

Home 5.8.14 ----4.3.15

France 5.3.15----9.4.16

Home 10.4.16----18.4.16 Discharged due to the termination of his period of engagement. sigend by his CO who appears to be a Colonel Alex McBeau (admin HQ)

I do have photographs of him in uniform too.

This site has already helped me sort a few things out, but can any of you tell me where he would have served in France?

I'm off to Ypres early next year and I believe the Staffs were involved around that location. It would be great to visit places he was based at.

Any ideas or links would be a help. I'm a very new amatuer to this research lark.

Cheers Graham

South_Staffs_compress.tiff

1/5th & 1/6th Battalions landed @ le Havre on 3rd March 1915;By May they had become part of the 137th Brigade 46th Division.In January 1916 they went to Egypt,returning to France a Month later.in 1918 they were @ sains du Nord,SE of Avesnes.

The Long Trail {Link @ the head of this forum}should give details of the Theatres the 1/6th Bn.S.Staffordshire Regt were.

Graham,

What a wonderful find!

You can buy 'The War History of the 6th Battalion The South Staffordshire Regiment' on CD Rom for a very reasonable sum from:

www.midlandshistoricaldata.org

Roy

Harry and Roy,

many thanks for those posts.

I will search the site using that link you suggest Harry

Roy, I will be buying one of those CDRoms for sure.

I have tried to upload a photgraph of Will but I'm afraid it 'failed' :rolleyes:

Graham

Graham,

I've just noticed that you're from Wolves. If you can get along to our next Black Country Night Out in September I'll bring along my hard copy of the 6th S. Staffs history.

Roy

Roy,

Great stuff.

Where and when Roy?

What's the content of the evening and does it include beer :o

If you like I can bring along the 'found' Red envelope + bits

Seems I'm off to Barmouth for a few days from 5/9/05 but after that I am

more than willing to come and have a meet up.

Graham

Edit:

Can anyone assist with my original question. Was William at Ypres and if so where abouts would he have fought,or been billeted.

Can anyone assist with my original question. Was William at Ypres and if so where abouts would he have fought,or been billeted.

Hi Graham,

HarryBetts was pointing you in the direction of where to get some of this information South Staffs Then follow the link for the 46th Division and you will get the list of engagements in which the Division (but not necessarily every battalion) was involved.

It looks like the Division took part in one major action during the time your grandfather was in France, the Action of the Hohenzollern Redoubt (13th - 19th October 1915). So, he wasn't involved in any attack at Ypres, but his unit may have been in that sector at some time in the line, support, reserve etc. You'll need to get someone with the 6th S. Staffs history to search for locations from Mar 1915 to Apr 1916.

Stuart

Graham,

No date fixed for the next meet yet but should be mid to late Sept. I'll include you on the e-mail notification circulation. Yes beer is on the menu. Our first meet last month involved myself, Doug Lewis, Sommesoldier (Tim) and Kirky (Tony).

I'm going away for the holiday weekend but when I get back I'll give you a quick breakdown of the 6th S. Staffs locations between the dates you mention.

Roy

Stuart,

Many thanks for that. I'm a bit slow on the uptake :rolleyes:

I start to look at one thing on this site and finish up geting involved in reading other links off those pages. (must do better)

Roy,

Cheers mate, don't expect too much historical input off me though as I'm a novice at WW1 stuff. I would dearly love some back ground info on the Ypres 'offensives' though.

I have been a fairly regular visitor to the WW2 Pegasus bridge + St Mere Eglise areas of Normandy.

This is due to my late uncles 6 airlanding brigade involvement on D-day.

The American sector was introduced by my 'group' this year as a bit of a change of venues. :huh:

I have recently been shown a number of old photos of the South Staffordshire TA regiment

at camp prior to WW1, I will try to find out some more and get it on to this thread.

I do know there is a connection with a family called "Mottram" from Stoke on Trent as the sons served with the Souths Staffs

I have a photograph of William in a group of seven sergeants (all with stripes only on their right arms, is this the norm in 1908+?)

William is also bearing three stripes on his right arm but in his papers he is recorded as a private. My family also have a large silver regimental cup bearing his name and number for markmanship (Shhhhhhh! don't want to give it back :ph34r: )

I have tried to post the picture onto an album or to the forum but for whatever reson the site wont accept it. Can anyone help?

I could e-mail it to someone with 'the knowledge' B)

Graham

hello Graham

no knowledge of the regiment I'm afraid, but today when I was posting and adding pics, the file size was too big you need to reduce the size of your picture. that worked fine for me.

Open the picture in e.g. Microsoft Photo Editor, click on image, select resize, reduce to about 50%, save a copy to your desktop, then use the browse feature found on the screen "add reply" in attachments, then select your pic, and then click add this attachment to upload. that should work

Pauline

Tierney,

Excellent fly by wire instructions sir :D

You can now view said William Thomas Smith and his good lady wife in the members gallery.

He looks a bit bulldogish in the military picture. I wouldnt have given him any back chat anyway :huh:

Any ideas on the right arm only stripes?

Graham

:o

Shock!!!! girlies who can give directions ;)

Pauline thanks very muchly for the instructions.

Go to the gallery at the top tool bar. Members gallery should have william and alice Smith showing. There are two photo's there, more to follow later on.

Graham

Just in case anyone wishes to view the said documents found, I have placed pictures in an album titled 6 South Staffordshire regiment.

Its the last entry on the last page of the members gallery B)

Graham

post-7839-1125320039.jpg

Graham,

Happy Birthday for tomorrow! :unsure:

Roy

Roy,

B'day? Am I missing something here :huh:

Not my B'day till next year.

However if you like I will celebrate a bit early and have an extra tinny :lol:

Roy,

B'day? Am I missing something here  :huh:

Not my B'day till next year.

However if you like I will celebrate a bit early and have an extra tinny :lol:

Graham,

PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send you the actions, and/or locations of the 1/6th S. Staffs from August 1914 to December 1915. Now tell me it's not your birthday! :)

Roy

P.S. It will cost you a pint for the remainder of your man's movements to April 1916.

Roy,

You have mail.

Happy Birthday too me, Happy Birthday too me. :lol:

This website is the dogs B)

Graham

Just got back today from holidays,and picked up on your thread. Firstly welcome to the forum from one Wulfrunian to another,secondly the 6th Btn South Staffords is my main interest so we can have a good chinwag about them at the next meeting Roy referred to.

Regards Doug.

Medic7922

I would be very interested in seeing the pictures you mentioned earlier in the thread.

Regards Doug

Graham,

Sorry if you've already answered this question.But what was your Grandfather's War Service after 1916?

It would appear he was a pre-War Territorial and discharged in 1916 at the end of his term of engagement.

Did he re-enlist or was he called up?

Reason I ask. I have an Uncle who was a 1908 Man(in a different Regiment) so his term may have elapsed similar to your Grandfather but he stayed on in France.My Uncle's original TF Army Number changed and I am wondering if your Grandfather volunteered for further service and whether his number changed.If this was the case it may explain my Uncle's Number change.

TIA

George

Graham,

You can open your present now. Enjoy

Roy