Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PO Valley - Any places to see?

Graham-McAdam

Next week I'm staying at the southern end of Lake Garda and travelling on the line Milan - Verona - Padua - Venice. Could some kind soul tell me names of any CWGC places I might visit. It seems a bit of a way from the NE battlefields, but somebody will know something.

Thanks vey much

GMcA

In Battleground Europe Series my friend Francis McKay has 2 titles, Asiago & Touring Italian Front, the latter will give you closest things.

You are better off than pore old John Hartley, his mean wife has forbidden all WW1 on this Italian trip though he may have a trick for her next one!

You are better off than pore old John Hartley, his mean wife has forbidden all WW1 on this Italian trip though he may have a trick for her next one!

Although it does mean that there is more time to be spent relaxing in the sun; catching up on the reading and eating great Italian food.

And less of the "old", please. The words "pot" and "kettle" come to mind.

John

Thanks everybody, for the tour information. So no cemeteries? I'll be in charge of a group of 41, so not much time to go grave visiting anyway. We stay by L Garda and do trips to Verona (must be good things to see there, surely), Milan (Last Supper, I hope) and Venice - mid week in August for only four hours, but first time, so WILL be good

GMcA

You will struggle for CWGC sites, but there is no shortage of good WW1 stuff in the area, including the great Italian War museum in Rovereto. To get there take the ferry to Riva del Garda at the top of the lake and then take a bus to Rovereto - it's about a 30 minute ride. Some great exhibits including a complete field hospital x-ray facility c. 1918. At the moment there is a special display of artillery pieces, mainly Italian and Austro-Hungarian.

Also think about a visit to the Vittoriale at Gardeno on lake Garda, the home of d'Annunnzio, the great Italian poet and military adventurer. He has a nice line in private war memorials in his back garden, including a battleship dismantled and rammed into the hillside.

If you can hire a car, visit the valleys north of Rovereto; there is an Austro-Hungarian cemetery at Slagenhauf (an interesting contrast with CWGC cemeteries) and Fort Belvedere, an Austro-Hungarian fort during the 1915-18 war, an equally interesting contrast to the French forts around Verdun. They are all well worth a visit. The Kompass 1:30000 maps of Trento and Rovereto show lots of Italian\Austro-Hungarian sites such as cemeteries, forts, observation points, blockhouses and command HQs. Visit Callanio, 7 miles north of Rovereto where a memorial bell tolls each evening in memory of the 400,000 soldiers lost in the mountains around you. 10,000 alone were lost in avalanches, many more simply froze to death during some of the worst winters on record. The bell is made from cannon melted down at the end of the war.

Whist in Riva visit the start of the Sentier della Pace, a 400 kilometer long footpath which takes in many of the major WW1 sites of the Dolomites.

I know that there is no British involvement, but if you are in the area you are definitely missing something if you don't take the chance to see some of it.

Have a good time - I have!

Hedley Malloch

(currently on honeymoon in Trento/Alto-Aldige)

(currently on honeymoon in Trento/Alto-Aldige)

In which case, many congratulations, Hedley.

Although I thought I recalled, ages ago, when you were recommending restaurants to me, that you mentioned that you and "your wife" had been somewhere.

Was this being euphemistic or is there a new Mrs Malloch? Your public demand to know. :lol:

John

Egbert, I saw the area in the photo, it's good but there aint much of it. It beats most places here but for Europe it's really weak. Wanna compare it to Florence or 20 other Italian cities?

Fort Belvedere is as good a WW1 visit as exists. But, it's a long way away. I had rather be in tiny Asiago than Verona any day, have spent a lot of time there, many forts, great hikes, oh it's good. My friend Marco who owns Hotel Alpi has an amazing photo , 6 separate protraits actually of gfather & brothers, all WW1 Italian Army, all lived! he's head of local Alpini group.

Thanks again, everybody.

Hedley - sounds like a blissful place for a honeymoon.

Egbert - look out for me on the boat to Riva on 29th. I'll be wearing a Great Rail Journeys badge and trailing a group of 40. I'd love to say hello.

Paul G - I have to offer them a trip to the Opera at Verona so that bit SHould Be GOOD.

Paul R - I think I remember a post from you perhaps 18 months ago of your grand-dad's back in an Italian city - was it Milan? I'll do my best to see Padua, but won't offer photos, as I don't think there'll be very much time. Next time, perhaps....

All interesting. Thanks

GMcA

Paul R - I think I remember a post from you perhaps 18 months ago of your grand-dad's back in an Italian city - was it Milan? I'll do my best to see Padua, but won't offer photos, as I don't think there be very much time. Next time, perhaps....

All interesting. Thanks

GMcA

That was my father, and the photo was taken on the outskirts of Rome in June 1944.

Have a great holiday.

Turandot on Tuesday, Aida on Wednesday. My vote goes to Aida. All those elephants!! Cheap seats are only 10Euro, but you can go up to 142E if you want to be more romantic. Fancy it, egbert?!

We stay by L Garda and do trips to Verona (must be good things to see there, surely?

GMcA

Depends on your period.

If you are into Castles and Knights etc then Verona was the home of the noble Scaligeri family, at one time Dante's patrons.

Verona was also, the setting for "Romeo and Juliet":

http://www.emiclassics.com/romeo/real.html

I think that's the family which has an elaborate tomb near the square Egbert posted a picture of. When you have seen those and the ampitheatre you are finished IMHO. I had to spend an entire day there and would have left sooner.

Egbert - look out for me on the boat to Riva on 29th. I'll be wearing a Great Rail Journeys badge and trailing a group of 40. GMcA

Whilst on board, watch out for my favorite place at Lake Garda: Limone!!!

Italians emplaced a heavy 28cm gun there and started harrassing the Austrian front in Riva; Austrians did not like it and destroyed it with indirect fire same day; Italians got the message and never emplaced another biggy there:

post-80-1125018904.jpg