Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

would vc be on medal card!???

hampshire hog

hi

just wanted to know if the victoria cross would be mentioned, on the medal index card, from the nationalarchives website???

its just i have a few medal cards, of the same name, obviously diff reg/ranks/nmbers!!

and am trying to locate the card of my husbands ggg grandfather, but all we have to go on, is the name, however he was awarded the vc.....hence the reason i was wondering if the vc is mentioned on the medal cards, and if so, what sort of inscription would it be?????

many thanks

gina

vd...vc its all the same.

Have to admit I opened this thread only because there might have been the possibility that some poor soul had a VD (veneral disease) listed on thier MIC. It was worth a chuckle..... sorry I can add nothing of value....

Andy

vd...vc its all the same.

Have to admit I opened this thread only because there might have been the possibility that some poor soul had a VD (veneral disease) listed on thier MIC.  It was worth a chuckle..... sorry I can add nothing of value....

Andy

lol.......i noticed once i submitted it,....changed it now...lol

It would depend when the man was supposed to have won it. If it was pre WW1 it would not be I don't think.

Andy

I assume you know his (approximate) name if you are looking for his MIC.

ALL VC winners have been listed with autobiographical details, which may help, hence it would be easier to examine VC recipients to rule them in or out before continuing. (It would be cheaper, too.)

Google "Victoria Cross" and "Wikipedia" and you should get this site.

Richard

gina,who was your gg/father,bernard

hi there

thanks for replies......hs name is;

andrew cameron.....he isnt listed, on the vc reference site, or searching with google

i think the only way im gonna find his vc reference, is by going to kew gardens

he was a deep sea diver, and saved lives apparently at the forth railway bridge in 1890's(cant find any reference to that either)

he died 1921 at the age of 65, so thereis some speculation to whether he was in the great war, but in his pictures featured in the other thead he is quite old looking!

i have a thread on the unifom, badge etc forum, pictures of him, with vc(we think), on his uniform....dont know what regiment, rank, or his service number is!!

thanks

gina

I am afraid I could almost guarantee that if he is not listed on a reputable list (the one on Wikipedia has been subsumed from a comprehensive site) as having won the VC - and you are 100% sure of his name and background - then he did not. It has been awarded only 1400 or so times and there are records of each recipient ranging from the Crimea to Iraq.

You might want to contact the VC & GC Society for absolute confirmation with regard to this matter.

The medal does indeed look rather like the VC, but is far too shiny and seems to be a semi-official award worn for the benefit of the photograph. Perhaps it is a temperance or masonic award; a civil bravery award granted by the local council/corporation/employer for his rescue services in the 1890s seems most likely, being modelled on the VC.

The VC is a very dull colour, said to highlight the difference between an award for bravery and an honour bestowed for merit or background.

Cheers

Richard

http://www.victoriacross.net has the definitive listing of VC winners, if he isn't on there then I'm afraid he didn't win it, unless he served under an assumed name.

There are two Camerons listed, neither of which is your man.

Sorry

Andy

hi

just wanted to add, that on the www.victoriacross.net, site, if you search by nationality,it says that scottish is incomplete, the same with english recipents....therefore, that site doesnt list all, members!!

cheers

gina

Hello Gina

The site has failed to post details of 4 out of 1355 VCs. With this in mind it is possible that one of those missing is Andrew Cameron. Having said that a search of Google using the criteria "Andrew Cameron" + "Victoria Cross" brings up only two hits, both of which are unrelated.

Could the man in the photo posted on a different thread be someone other than Andrew Cameron.

Andy

The VC has been awarded 1355 times since it was instituted as Max has said.

Only two were to men by the name of Cameron - one in 1859 and one in 1944.

Every one of these awards is well documented in several publications - including those missed from the website mentioned. The two best publications which include all awards are 'The Register of the Victoria Cross' (published by This England) and 'Monuments to Courage' by David Harvey (published in two vols).

if it is a VC,he may be wearing it in someone elses honour,like his mothers father,who isnt a cameron,bernard

Hello Bernard

You may well be correct, but it would be very disrespectful to do it in this manner.

Andy

hiya andy,theres an old ww2 vet in my town,good pal of my late pop,he wears his own medals and his fathers and 2 uncles medals,but he does it out of pride,bit over the top,but hes happy,there are no doubt many more like him,but ive got to agree with you,if it is a VC it should be worn properly

I contacted Gina off forum for more info... the pics I received clearly show Temperance Medals (3 of 'em), but being worn on the left breast, not the right.

One of them was for 6 months abstinence. The other two, including the VC look-alike, could be for several periods of not being on the booze. The "VC" one was similar (if not slightly smaller) than the 6 month medal.

I've e-mailed her back with the (not so good) news.

Les.

Hello

I have looked up a dozen or so MIC for VC winners in the past and not all the cards have mentioned it!

Ian

I've managed to open the third pic Gina sent me (my PC is playing up at the moment!! :angry:) and the chap sitting down is the relative. It is clearly a VC.

I don't know the difference in Pre-WW1 uniforms, but can anyone shed any light on the era/regiment etc.

The second pic she sent, the "VC" looks slightly smaller than a "6 month" temerpance medal. I've got one in my colelction and compared them size for size - the "VC" in the pic is smaller!

Les

Just a thought, but is it certain that the man in the photo IS actually Andrew Cameron?

Can we identify the other medal ribbons in the "Uniformed" photo?

I've had a look but the only thing that comes close is the RN LSGC and RNR LSGC, (third one a mystery).

Unless it's the sometimes seen "Negative" effect of the ribbon colours in the older photos.

The cap badge IMO is almost certainly RE.

But the 2 Naval medals would fit for a diver also, maybe Pre-WW1 service?

Also, would it not be unusual to have been awarded a VC without any other type of Campaign Medals?

As the VC is only ever awarded for actions whilst facing a enemy. It would more than likely figure that it would be accompanied by others pertaining to the conflict for which the VC was awarded.

Just a couple of thoughts. :unsure:

Mark

Could another possibility be that the real VC in the picture belongs to someone else? Perhaps one of the other men? The VC seems to be propped up against the wearer's chest, with the ribbon tucked up under the collar, and the medal itself tucked in behind the ribbon-bar to hold it in position. It doesn't seem to be actually pinned on anywhere.

I'll get my coat.........

Tom

Mark,

I also thought it could have been an LSGC, but it should be to the right as we look at it, not the left.

My feeling is that the first two could be Afghanistan 1878-80 & the India Medal 1895-1902. The third is too "flashed out" to make any sense.

The only Scotsman to get a VC (that I'm aware of) for either of these campaigns was L/Cpl George Sellar 72nd Highlanders (Afghanistan 1879). But the Diving photo (see below) looks Victorian and the diver connection might not necessarily be to do with the Navy - perhaps a local diving "club" or alike.

The old chap on the right of the photo doesn't look "military" to me - I don't think they wore waitcoats & striped shirts :ph34r:

Les.

Tom,

I would normally agree, but many WW1 (and earlier) VC recipients wore the medal that way when having their photo taken.

Definately odd though!!!!

Les.

I think the key to this is, is the man wearing the "VC" (if that is what we accept it is) actually Andrew Cameron? If it is Andrew Cameron then the VC is not his.

Andy