Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

would vc be on medal card!???

hampshire hog

Hello

Good point about is it actually the chap in question in the picture ?

I have a ww1 picture that has my g grandfather name on the back, this to any one else would imply its him, but as I have other pictures I know its not!

Does the owner of the picture have another to compare to ?

Ian

hi guys

thanks for all your interest, info, & help

i have spoken with members of the family, and they all say the same story:

they were all lead to believe, he won the vc, and that the medal was the vc!

he won it, for saving lives, in the firth of the forth!(in which case it would have been pre-ww1)

a couple of family members, say there was a book written about him, and saw the book, but cant remember what its title was!

im stumped because i cant find any referene to him, either as a diver, being awarded the vc, a book, nothing, i think ill have to take a trip to kew gardens!

the only other thing i can thinkl of, is that he used an alias, i know that on his marraige certifcate, his mother was deceased, but cant make out her maiden name, so maybe he used her name!, its wierd, because on his marriage, and death certificates, his mother is listed as 2 different names, but same maiden name(cant work that out), maybe his dad married the sister of is mother!!!

oh well thanks for all your input....and if i find anything out, ill let ya know

cheers

gina

i have spoken with members of the family, and they all say the same story:

they were all lead to believe, he won the vc, and that the medal was the vc!

he won it, for saving lives, in the firth of the forth!(in which case it would have been pre-ww1)

a couple of family members, say there was a book written about him, and saw the book, but cant remember what its title was!

Hello Gina

I'm afraid that we have not been very helpful. I would say though that the VC can only be awarded for "conspicuous gallantry in the face of the enemy". Saving lives in the firth of forth would not fall under this criteria.

Andy

Although the Victoria Cross can only be bestowed for actions "in the presence of the enemy", from 1858 to 1881 an amendment allowed for awards "under circumstances of extreme danger". Six awards were made under these conditions - David BELL, James COOPER, Campbell DOUGLAS, William GRIFFITHS, Thomas MURPHY, and Timothy O'HEA.

Les.

Although the Victoria Cross can only be bestowed for actions "in the presence of the enemy", from 1858 to 1881 an amendment allowed for awards "under circumstances of extreme danger". Six awards were made under these conditions - David BELL, James COOPER, Campbell DOUGLAS, William GRIFFITHS, Thomas MURPHY, and Timothy O'HEA.

Les.

I've just checked photos I've got of each of these men - none of 'em match this chap at all. I can only go along with the others - that the chap in the photo isn't a relative or he's wearing someone else's medal. I've checked the photos of all recipients and this man does not appear to look like any of them.

Les.

Hello Gina

The men who are stood either side of the seated man are wearing putees. They are the bandage like things wrapped around their lower legs.

Andy

• 2 years later...

hello people!!!

im back again, this is really annoying me!.....ok found out that andrew cameron,

was in the navy, attached his discharge papers!........seems he had earnt himself £5.00 in 1874-1878, while on board hms penelope!......could this be the brave deed he did, which supposedly earnt him the VC???, how would i be able to find out, why hw got paid £5?

so he was discharged from the navy in 1878!!!!!.aged 21...where do the army pictures come into it??????

surely he must have joined the army after the navy!???

surely to be pictured wearing, and posing to have won the VC, is a crime!,......if he didnt win it, why is there family pictures, of him weaaring the VC, the book entitled "Andrew cameron, and how he won the two crosses" written by a reverend, whom states in the book, that he saw the VC, when andrew visited him at his Newspaper headquaters "the christian scotsman", why would a reverend lie???

its all so confusing, and very annoying!...anyone with help/info/direction would be great!!

tia

I think that Les (quite the expert in matters VC) in post 17 of this thread sums up the situation perfectly.

Andy

Edited by Andy

Just as a matter of interest Eviltaxman, there was another Scot. who won the VC in 1897 in India, (Dargai)Piper Findlater of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

Colin