Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sunken Lane - Serre Walk

Paul Reed

Paul

Great pics, I'm taking a group over that way in October and I might take them on a walking route around Serre.

I've never seen the shell craters, can you be a bit more specific as to where they are in relation to the Hamlet?

Thanks

Steve Smith

Great photos Paul.

I think its one of the most poignant places on the Somme.

Mike

I can only agree that as an arm chair tourist these pics are great from my perspective.

Just curious, how long did it take you to make the whole circuit. Was this an all day trip, or something you decided to do spur of the moment?

Andy

Steve - if you walk or drive down the main street of Serre you cannot miss them.

Andy - it took me just over 3 hours to do this, with a stop for snack lunch en-route and time to take over 150 photos (these are only some of them).

Paul

Many thanks for that. :)

Steve Smith

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

this thread inspired me to follow in your footsteps last week(Tuesday). I started from Newfoundland Park, walked out through the back gate and into Beamont Hamel, along the Sunken Lane, along the Redan Ridge, down to Sheffield Park and returned via Kilometre Lane to Auchonvillers called for a small beer at Avrils, and back to Newfoundland Park.

3 photos I'd like to add, 2 from the edge of Hawthorn Ridge Crater and 1 from Sheffield Park.

regards Geoff

post-4232-1124552007.jpg

post-4232-1124552058.jpg

That view of the Sheffield Park cemetery reminds you just how intimate it is - just a bunch of pals still together after all those years.

Railway Hollow has always been one of my favourite cemeteries on the Somme. It always amuses me when it's referred to as "The Accrington Pals' Valhalla" in some publications (RH contains 15 of them, whereas Queen's Cemetery contains 50). Anyone any idea where, and from who, this terminology originated?

dave.

Railway Hollow Cemetery contains a grave inscription along the lines of "The French are a great people, worth fighting for", I have thought of photographing this several times but have never done it. I feel guilty that I cannot remember the name of the soldier concerned. No doubt someone will remind me!

Regards

Geoff

The grave is Alf Goodlad of the Sheffield Pals and the inscription reads 'The French are a grand nation worth fighting for'. I must say I have never seen this spot referred to as a 'valhalla' before; it's not a term I would personally use, I must say.

Thanks for the reminder Paul. I will take that photograph of Alf Goodlad the next time I am there.

I go to the Somme at least three times a year and can never resist going to Railway Hollow, it is a very peaceful place to be.

Regards

Geoff

Ironic (given the inscription) that his name could be read

"A Good Lad"

Thanks for posting the photo Paul - I've seen the inscription but don't think I ever took a photo.

Mike

Paul,

Great photo's, brings back memories of my visit last year to Serre, the stretch of trench by the Sheffield memorial has a very haunting feel to it, its hard to imagine what it must have been like and how those guys felt just before going over the top. Hoping I can get back there soon and have a walk round.

Len

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this up again as I had been looking for some photos I took in the same area of the Redan Ridge back in the early 1980s, when there were more craters. General view first.

post-6-1125909653.jpg

View into one of the craters. I did post these on the 'Western Front Then & Now' thread, but all the photos have gone from that now, sadly.

post-6-1125909737.jpg

Nice picture Paul, showing a now-lost view. Last time I looked inside this crater (if it's the one I'm thinking of) it was two-thirds full of building-rubble, with a fridge-freezer or two thrown in (excuse the pun) for good measure.

Tom

I, too, had the same question about the "unused" land ... or maybe just for pasture? Someday I wish to visit the Somme ... until then, it is pictures like yours that take me there and allow me to reflect on the events ...

Again, thanks ... the pictures and the verbiage were wonderful ...