Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sunken Lane - Serre Walk

Paul Reed

Yesterday was a beautiful day on the Somme, and with some spare time, I took a walk from the Sunken Lane at Beaumont Hamel up to Serre village. These are some photos I took, from the large selection being gathered for the new Somme Battlefields website.

First, the entrace to the Sunken Lane, showing the 8th Argyl's memorial. On 1st July 1916 the 1st Lancashire Fusiliers advanced from this lane; 1/8th Argyl's attacked more successfully on 13th November.

post-6-1123708718.jpg

Next I went into Beaumont Hamel British Cemetery, which was made in November 1916 and contains many 1st July casualties.

post-6-1123708868.jpg

Walking up the lane, when I got to the top, I looked back. From here you have a good view of Hawthorn Ridge: the thick clump of trees on the opposite ridge is the site of the Hawthorn Mine Crater blown on both 1st July and 13th November 1916 by 252 Tunneling Coy RE.

post-6-1123709034.jpg

Redan Ridge was an area of intensive mining activity, but this is all that remains of the 'crater zone' that once existed here: very different from when I first came here 25 years ago - then many more craters were still visible. Sadly they have all been filled in with rubbish.

post-6-1123709364.jpg

From here I walked over the ridge down onto the Serre battlefield. First stop was Serre No 1 Cemetery, which is currently undergoing some renovation, as can be seen.

post-6-1123709534.jpg

I spent some time having a look at some of the unknown graves here: there are many unusual regiments among them, such as this one of the Herefordshire Regiment. Unusual because the regiment did not serve on the Somme in 1916 (nor in 1918 to my knowledge); but there are 3 men from it whose names are on Thiepval. This lad must be one of them:

post-6-1123709749.jpg

From here I went up to the 'Pals' battlefield at Serre; this is Serre Road No 3 close to where the Leeds Pals went over on 1st July; in the background is what is left of Matthew - Mark - Luke - John Copses, which straddled the front line.

post-6-1123709961.jpg

I then went down into the Sheffield Memorial Park. This is what is left of the front line trench, with the modern Accrington Pals memorial in the background. It was from what is now a shallow ditch that the men of the 11th East Lancs went Over the Top on 1st July 1916.

post-6-1123710157.jpg

I then visited the three battlefield cemeteries in this area, and walked into Serre village - not much more than a hamlet. Just off the main road is a bit of rough ground, never ploughed since the war and still showing signs of shell holes, even in the Summer.

post-6-1123710389.jpg

Good quality pics ... always nice to see.

Cheers

Des

Paul,

Great pictures, thanks for posting them. A very pleasant walk.

Andy

Yesterday was a beautiful day on the Somme, and with some spare time, I took a walk from the Sunken Lane at Beaumont Hamel up to Serre village. These are some photos I took, from the large selection being gathered for the new Somme Battlefields website.

First, the entrace to the Sunken Lane, showing the 8th Argyl's memorial. On 1st July 1916 the 1st Lancashire Fusiliers advanced from this lane; 1/8th Argyl's attacked more successfully on 13th November.

Thanks Paul

A fella I know took some pictures of this spot, (virtually from the same bit you did there) in May, and let me have copies. He couldn't remember who the large memorial was dedicated to......and now we know :)

Paul,

fantastic photos and great that you are able share with us.

Here is one I took of Beaumont Hamel in the evening 2 years ago, to compliment your one.

Peter ;)

post-163-1123725068.jpg

Paul,

Thanks for posting those,

we did the some of that same walk in july but it rained for most of it, i knew it didn't rain all the time!!!!

Best wishes,

Mandy

Great pictures Paul. The bit of land left unploughed, have you any idea why it has been left like this for 90 years? who owns it? Can you walk across it, or is that a strand of barbed wire in the picture?

Patrick

I think that the area of the sunken lane is a distillation of the Somme with the proud memorial behind you and the crater away and above to the right. Difficult to consider the sunken lane without visions of the haunted faces of the Lancashire Fusiliers from Malin's film assailing you together with the associated images of the silent eruption of the mine. The knowledge that some of those men now lie a little distance away in the cemetery never fails to move you.

Paul's pictures capture the beauty of the Somme in lovely summer weather. Would that I could be there rather than at my desk !

Paul,

From an artistic angle I like the Accrington pals mem' picture. Lots of atmosphere. But all are good. You seem to have enjoyed the walk. It certainly looked peaceful.

Steve :)

Great pictures Paul. The bit of land left unploughed, have you any idea why it has been left like this for 90 years? who owns it? Can you walk across it, or is that a strand of barbed wire in the picture?

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

There are many areas of land left like this, largely for pasture. There used to be many more but the CAP has encouraged farmers to plough them up. It is indeed fenced off, and there is no public access. You could always ask the farmer for permission to roam it, which is the decent thing to do anywhere anyway.

Glad you all found the photos of interest.

As usual: great stuff Paul -I will fly transatlantic and will be in this area weekend 17/18Sept; sorry no messenger dog ;)