Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 RWF war diary

Muerrisch

Hi there,

I was wondering if the offers of a look up into the 2nd RWF war diary was still available?

If so I would very much like to know what happened on the 20th of July 1916 apart from the 2 VC's that were won that day it must have been quite a day for them as I know the battalion lost 81 men and 3 Officers, officers being Capt Blake and 2/Lt's Godfrey and Page.

I'm interested to see if there is a mention of 8901 Pte Thomas Colohan KIA 20/07/16. I have his 14 Star trio & plaque.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Paul.

Hi there,

I was wondering if the offers of a look up into the 2nd RWF war diary was still available?

If so I would very much like to know what happened on the 20th of July 1916 apart from the 2 VC's that were won that day it must have been quite a day for them as I know the battalion lost 81 men and 3 Officers, officers being Capt Blake and 2/Lt's Godfrey and Page.

I'm interested to see if there is a mention of 8901 Pte Thomas Colohan KIA 20/07/16. I have his 14 Star trio & plaque.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Paul.

I am sorry you seem to have wrong unit: 2nd RWF took High Wood and suffered heavily but no mention of any of your officers, man, or VCs!

He enlisted 4/10/1905. Mobilised from Reserves on outbreak of war and went over with the 2nd which is where the confusion may have arisen?. Returned to UK with trench fever Sept 1915. Back to France end March 1916 and at 25 IBD until posted to 10th Bn 14 6 1916.

Posted missing in action with 10th Bn and later death was accepted for official purposes as 20/7/1916.

Funnily enough both the typed version of the diary and a North wales newspaper caslist had him as 8931. Latter gave NoK address area as Denbigh. When family form filled out by his wife in 1919 she was at the Stockport address that's on his CWGC entry. It shows a son born Dec 1916.

Hywyn

Edit: more info inserted

Hi Yes my mistake his medals are to the 2nd battalion but he was killed with the 10th, sorry for the confusion.

Many thanks hywyn for this additional information. He was sent back home as he was gassed in Loos according to the newspaper articles I have, this must have been when he got married.

Regards

Paul.

Paul

I'm intrigued as to the Denbigh connection but can't spot it in his papers. I haven't gone through them all and some are water damaged.Did you see a connection? The marriage is there but no date due to said damage.

He's not done very well with people spelling his surname. His Star card says Coleham and both 1901 and 1891 give Colahan.Both Cheshire area.

Are the newspapers you refer to North Wales based?

Hywyn

(Cheers Geraint)

Paul

I'm intrigued as to the Denbigh connection but can't spot it in his papers. I haven't gone through them all and some are water damaged.Did you see a connection? The marriage is there but no date due to said damage.

He's not done very well with people spelling his surname. His Star card says Coleham and both 1901 and 1891 give Colahan.Both Cheshire area.

Are the newspapers you refer to North Wales based?

Hywyn

(Cheers Geraint)

Hi Hywyn

I can't see a connection to Denbign either and wasn't aware of it till your post. The newspaper articles I have are very small clippings and unfortunately don't show either date or which paper they are from, I would hazzard a guess they were from a Romiley paper though as it's mentioned a few times also Bredbury?

There are a few other clippings which mention a Tom Stenton RGA also unfortunately killed, I believe he was Thomas's wife Mary's brother.

You're right he hasn't had much luck at all with the spelling of his surname, the star is indeed spelt Coleham and the pair and plaque are spelt Colohan.

Many thaks again for your help I really appreciate it.

Regards

Paul.

Mary was Mary Stenton according to the papers so every possibilty that Tom would be her brother. There is a marriage in Q1 1916 at Stockport of Mary Stenton to a Colohan. I can't get a Thomas Colohan up to match it though which adds to his relationship with officialdom!

The Denbigh bit may be down to another typo along the line. Everything else point towards Hoole and the areas you mention.

Hywyn

The plot thickens hey? Many thanks for your help on this hywyn. Unfortunately I have to leave for work in a bit as I work nights otherwise I could stay on here all night and chat. Work gets in the way of everything doesn't it.

Thanks again mate

Regards

Paul.

Hi

i wonder if you could look up a couple of names , to see if they are mentioned in the diary

Private John Boyes no54605 killed in action 7/03/1917 peronne communal cemetery extension

Private Percival Vickers no 61192 killed in action 23/04/1918 bouzincourt ridge cemetery albert

any details would be great photo's would be better!!

Russ

I am sorry you seem to have wrong unit: 2nd RWF took High Wood and suffered heavily but no mention of any of your officers, man, or VCs!

For Andrew Hesketh: Captain F Jones-Bateman

Dear Andrew

I can let you have an obituary and biographical entry for Capt Jones-Bateman plus a photograph and some other details for your church guide to the memorials. Could you PM me? I've tried to send you a message but I think your box is full!

Regards ... Maricourt