Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 RWF war diary

Muerrisch

I have complete 2 RWF war diary in the original mss version as at PRO [ie without the errors of the typescript official copies]. Happy to look up specifics as a way to making contact with students of RWF .

Rather vague request, and not one that requires any particular response. However I'd be grateful for any information that you happen to encounter concerning a Lt. Frank Bateman-Jones (or Jones-Bateman, I've seen it both ways). He get's a passing mention in 'Goodbye To All That'. I ask because he is connected with Abergele, where I live. Don't go rooting through the diary on my behalf, but in the course of consulting it if you ever come across a mention I'd be grateful for anything it may say.

All the best,

Andrew

(PS, If you ever want a digital photo of his commemoration plaque in Abergele church I'd be more than happy to provide it.)

I would appreciate brief details of what took place on Thursday 22 June 1916 when 52 other ranks and 2 officers died (CD Rom).

My interest is with Company Serjeant Major 8731 Peter Pattison 2/R.W.Fus who died that day. His DCM was gazetted the day before he died. He is commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

thankyou

Stuart Brown

London Gazette entries for Jones-Bateman:

Passed as OTC cadet to commission, 16 October 1914

Confirmed in rank, 21 April 1915

Commonwealth War Graves Commission record:

4 November 1918, still aged only 22, poor lad.

And, for Stuart, from memory 22 June 1916 was the day of the blowing of Red Dragon Crater - near Givenchy - by the enemy, killing and burying many men of B Company.

Regarding 22 June 1916, I am shipping several attachments direct e-mail to Stuart Brown. As for Jones-Bateman, I believe he was East Surreys, attached 2RWF for a while. Known in the battalion as the Surrey man. I can delve a bit deeper if needs be, but he does not figure in any big way in 2RWF diary.

Regarding 22 June 1916, I am shipping several attachments direct e-mail to Stuart Brown. As for Jones-Bateman, I believe he was East Surreys, attached 2RWF for a while. Known in the battalion as the Surrey man. I can delve a bit deeper if needs be, but he does not figure in any big way in 2RWF diary.

I'd be very grateful to know what happened on 25/10/14 when Sgt John ROWLANDS was kia, and 26/09/17 when 2nd Lt Randal Alexander CASSON (Adj) was kia on the first day of the Battle of Polygon Wood.

TIA

Greenwoodman: top of list for tomorrow morning. Incidentally, Casson was never more than a/Adjt which meant, variously, Assistant or Acting, depending on how you read the diaries.

For Greenwoodman.

2RWF diary entry for 25 Oct 14 at La Boutillerie: attacked [by enemy] at 1.15am and 4 am, both attacks driven off, heavily shelled all morning, also attacked several times. Casualties 2Lt ERC Stone killed, R&F 10 killed, 25 wounded.

Sgt Rowlands landed France 11 August, almost first to do so.

Entry for 26 Sep 1917 too long to transcribe, will scan and send if you let me have e-mail address.

For Stuart Brown

CSM Pattison was a much admired soldier, and appears four times in TWTIK.

Langleybaston - thanks very much.

Chris - thanks for those links, I'll go straight to 'em!

(As for Jones-Bateman, I believe he was East Surreys, attached 2RWF for a while. Known in the battalion as the Surrey man)

Unless there were more than one and to save confusion, according to Robert Graves in 'Goodbye to all that' chapter 14 - Hilary Drake-Brockman, a young second-lieutenant of 'A' Company, to which I had been posted. He was a special reservist of the East Surrey Regiment, and contemptuously known as 'the Surrey-man'

Alan Seymour

Alan - thanks for that. I've been leafing through Graves' trying to find the references (without luck so far) to Frank Jones-Bateman, as I was curious about the Surrey sobriquet. The man was truly Welsh and born and raised in Abergele. According to the the London Gazette (from the links kindly provided by Chris) he was commissioned straight into the 3rd RWF.

For Stuart Brown

CSM Pattison was a much admired soldier, and appears four times in TWTIK.

Many thanks - your assistance is appreciated.

Stuart

2Lt Frank Jones-Bateman. Sorry about the name cross-over with Hilary Drake-Brockman. I can make amends. Although I do not have any evidence whatever for Jones-Bateman serving with my brave boys, ie 2RWF, I do have a nice group of the officers, 3RWF October 1914, all named, with Frank among them. Also, I have a photo of the very first draft of the post August 1914 recruits, at Wrexham, on their way to the front commanded by Frank in May 1915. I have not identified him in that photo.

I have no idea how to work sticking a picture in this contraption, but could scan and send photos for research/private purposes. I would need an appropriate assurance. The photos are copyright RWF Museum, I was allowed them for my book.

Hi,

Thanks for the offer pal, but there is no need to bother. I'll probably be over at the RWF archives at some point over the summer so I'll have a word with Peter Crocker.

Diolch yn fawr,

Andrew

LB

Is this the thread you seek?

Now, with me it is the teapot-lid that is always going walkabout...

Kate, yes, thank you. I am infamous for not bothering at all with a tea-pot lid, so she-who-holds-the clip-board-and telephoto has bought a tea-pot complete with hinged lid. Can't force me to close it, can she?

• 2 years later...
Guest madunclehugh
2Lt Frank Jones-Bateman. Sorry about the name cross-over with Hilary Drake-Brockman. I can make amends. Although I do not have any evidence whatever for Jones-Bateman serving with my brave boys, ie 2RWF, I do have a nice group of the officers, 3RWF October 1914, all named, with Frank among them. Also, I have a photo of the very first draft of the post August 1914 recruits, at Wrexham, on their way to the front commanded by Frank in May 1915. I have not identified him in that photo.

I have no idea how to work sticking a picture in this contraption, but could scan and send photos for research/private purposes. I would need an appropriate assurance. The photos are copyright RWF Museum, I was allowed them for my book.

Guest madunclehugh

My father was Hilary Drake Brockman - in the original book he was referred to as the "Surrey Man". Later on Robert Graves added his full name. He was in contact with Robert Graves until the 1950's. (He contiunued in the East Surrey's until he retired (as a Lt. Col) in 1947.

I got the impression that they got on very well. Father went to school with Billie Neville at Dover College - Billie was involved with kicking the football on the Somme in 1915 (if I've got it right)

Welcome aboard Hugh.

David (if you revisit this thread) - I never did get a copy of the picture of Frank Bateman-Jones from the RWF archive. One of the two dozen things on my agenda is to put together a little pamphlet for the church in Abergele of the men commemorated there in time for Nov 11th this year (it's not going to be a profit thing, it'll just be asking for a donation to cover the photocopying cost, probably no more than 40-50p). I suppose a copy from you, reproduced in such a pamphlet would be a no-no without authorisation, so could you let me know if the picture has any accession number or other code that would allow me to make a clear request to the museum? (And do you know if Col. Crocker is still 'the Boss'?).

Cheers,

Andrew

Welcome aboard Hugh.

David (if you revisit this thread) - I never did get a copy of the picture of Frank Bateman-Jones from the RWF archive. One of the two dozen things on my agenda is to put together a little pamphlet for the church in Abergele of the men commemorated there in time for Nov 11th this year (it's not going to be a profit thing, it'll just be asking for a donation to cover the photocopying cost, probably no more than 40-50p). I suppose a copy from you, reproduced in such a pamphlet would be a no-no without authorisation, so could you let me know if the picture has any accession number or other code that would allow me to make a clear request to the museum? (And do you know if Col. Crocker is still 'the Boss'?).

Cheers,

Andrew

OK, seen that: will reply by PMessage but not immediately. Col Crocker has been succeeded by a Mr Brian Owen, of whom I know nothing. Will look into your matter for you.

You're a good man (despite the rumours!) :P