Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le treport area : any pics wanted ?

TD60

I am going there next week if somebdy need a grave photo in this area I will be happy to help him and will do my best to take it

Kind regards

Yes please!! If possible, can I have a picture of the headstone of this man, who was a trombone player at one of our local theatres:

Gunner WILLIAM GEORGE CARE

205684, "D" Bty. 240th Bde., Royal Field Artillery

who died age 19 on 17 August 1917

Son of Rowland and Emily Care, of Northampton.

MONT HUON MILITARY CEMETERY; III. M. 3A. Le Treport

Thankyou

Dear TD60

I would appreciate a photograph of A W Hughes, Mount Huon VI. D. 9B.

Alf Hughes was 20 years of age and died after 4 operations at Le Treport after being wounded on 13th October at Ypres. His mother had been informed and had travelled to Le Treport and was with him when he died. His younger brother Edward was lost when the Black Prince was sunk May 31st 1916.

Regards

Andy

TD60,

any chance of a photo up on the top of the cliffs where the hospital complex was?

Any angle would be fine

Peter

Hello

Can you take a photograph of my Great Uncle's headstone please? The family is already in possession of a close up photo of the headstone, but if you can take a photo that shows the headstone's position in relation to the main cross and other rows, that would be great. It would be nice to have an idea of where he 'lies' within the cemetery itself - if thats not too much of a confusing request.

SLATTER, CHARLES ALEXANDER

Private 240111 11/04/1917

Middlesex Regiment

III. F. 7B.

MONT HUON MILITARY CEMETERY

thankyou, Ian.

TD60

If you could take a general view ,the same as for Peter Beckett.I would be most gratefull.Also if there is any general comemoration of the hospital that would be nice.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Hi TD60,

If at all possible could I ask for a photograph of thefollowing headstone

MUMFORD, John

# S-30005

Rifle Brigade

29/10/18

Mount Huon Military Cemetery, Grave VII.L.5B

And also, as Peter and John have requested, a view from the top of the cliffs where the hospital was. Many many thanks.

Andy

Hello

Ok for the graves requests.

For the landscape, the hospital place reading post above we will see if something could be done.

However it will be easier if you can post me a map with a cross (red ? :D ) where the hospital was.

Kind regards

TD60,

Thanks for the offer but I do not have a modern map of the area. I have a copy of a 1917 Hospital map also I have an aerial picture that was taken about 3 years ago. On looking at and comparing both, I now believe it may be impossible to take a photo due to the area being built up with houses and a school. The road on the town side of the Hospital complex was called Avenue Du Calvaire. It may still be named that but I do not know.

I could email you a copy of both if that would help

Peter

Here is a photo of where I think the Hospital Complex was and if you look towards the town below from a line starting vertical at the 5 multi-storey buildings you can see the cemetery with the Military section on the right hand side. I think that the road going past those buildings may be the Boulevard Circulaire which comes off Avenue Du Calvaire

Peter

post-163-1123834435.jpg

TD60,

could you please take a photo of the grave of Ernest Marshall Baskerville, Australian Machine Gun Corps, III. O. 7B, Mt Huon

Christine

This scan of a modern map shows the location of Mont-Huon. So, Peter, though I’m very reluctant to argue with you, the cemetery at Mont-Huon isn’t shown in your aerial photo.

Here are two poor pictures which I found, scanned and heavily compressed quickly. I’ve been wandering round this cliff area in all seasons except high summer for about fifteen years.

I took the entrance to Mont-Huon to give an impression for John’s contacts. I think perhaps it hints at why I feel that there’s nothing interesting in the landscape behind which would make an effective photo. I’ve looked at my pictures, even ones taken in interesting light at sunset and they’re terrible because it’s featureless. I wanted to capture the cliffs which are visible from the cemetery to its left over several fields, but the results are hopeless. It’s a place where you notice sky and sounds rather than scenery. Yelping seagulls, the tide scraping in the shingle, footsteps, cows, farm-dogs barking. The same sounds which have been in the air for ever.

(It began spotting with rain and caught on the lens.)

This is the view from the cliff tops, late one winter afternoon in 2003, looking across the town and quay at le Tréport. I have better ones somewhere.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

This scan of a modern map shows the location of Mont-Huon. So, Peter, though I’m very reluctant to argue with you, the cemetery at Mont-Huon isn’t shown in your aerial photo.

Looking with viamichelin I found a rue du calvaire now boulevard du calvaire.

post-6797-1123886087.jpg

So the aerial photo is showing the place the hospital was.

the cemetery is one or two kilometers from there.

Is there anything left of this so big hospital ? I will see.

Kind regards

Looking carefully to 1917 map and actual one and aerial photo above

I understand that the general hospital was exactly where are the 5 similar buildings.

Hum I am not so sure I went to quicky.

I am searching again.

Regards

Edited by TD60

TD60,

could you please take a photo of the grave of Ernest Marshall Baskerville, Australian Machine Gun Corps, III. O. 7B, Mt Huon

Christine

I will do. B)

Gwyn,

no arguments from me, either, as I am working from a 1917 map and a modern aerial photo and 12000 miles away.

Peter :lol:

Cheers, Peter. :)

There are the remains of an old building at the top of the cliffs. You can still walk up its stairs and hold its exterior balustrade, but most of the stones are grassed over.

I am fairly sure that an information board in the tourist car park at the top of the steps down to le Tréport used to state that the building was used in the Great War and I think it mentioned a recuperation area for officers, but I am relying on memory, so I may be wrong, or the board may have been inaccurate. The board may no longer be there. My companion in the visits recalls a war memorial stone of some sort.

Give me time. It will all come back to me....

Gwyn

Gwyn,

the remains may be of this building which was originally the Trianon Hotel which was at the top right hand corner of the complex, which I think would be overlooking the cliffs.

Peter

post-163-1123901974.jpg

Hello

I went there at le Tréport.

I have taken the gravestone and some general views I can send you if you give me your e-mail address.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I try first to locate the hospital.

It was quite easy to find with your 1917 map.

But it was an enormous installation !

I reported on the aerial view where was the hospital and you can imagine !

Half of the town !

post-6797-1124148249.jpg

Mont Huon cemetery is not on the aerial view . It is more or less just under where the plane was when the photo was taken. There is another british cemetery at Le tréport we can imagine on the photo near the harbour.

Some remains ?

I discussed with an inhabitant who gave me very kindly some information.

The Golf Hotel still exists, however it was a german headquarter during WW2 and the place was heavily attacked by ... the british bombers.

The new hotel was done on the basements of the present one.

He remembered the former lanes which are now erased

by new streets.

(It is what he explains me ; not sure it is 100% exact)

I suppose it is because of WW2 bombings that no real remains of buildings survived.

The communal lane of the 1917 map is still there (blue line)

I will post some photos taken there later after some sorting of pics.

Boulevard circulaire is now Boulevard du Parc

I see too late your post with the Trianon hotel and did not search too much in this area. I did not notice any board or interesting remains.

I saw the small bricks however I thought it was too small and probably

a german observation point destroyed in WW2 but I am maybe false.

I will add some other info later.

Regards

Gwyn,

the remains may be of this building which was originally the Trianon Hotel which was at the top right hand corner of the complex, which I think would be overlooking the cliffs.

Peter

Nice pic ! Are there some others of th hospital.

The cliffs are years after years destroyed by the see .

I wonder if the place where stands the first man is now stones on the seaside

meters below !

Here a view of Mont huon cemetery. The west part of the hospital was on the tree line just behind the Great Cross.

post-6797-1124150279.jpg

(photo compressed to take place here)