Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How about this for style !!

Patrick H

Patrick

I think that'll be a reference to Blackadder's dismissive attitude to those flash gits, the RFC pilots, exemplified by Rik Mayall....

Jim

Fair enough Jim, I havn't really watched Blackadder much

Steve, the draconian Licencing Laws came in during the War but I dont know when. Would it have been by 1916 ?

Patrick

Patrick. Sorry about crap upload of L31 info. Quote from CTP'S book on Hornchurch says

"Before the outbreak of war, public houses in our neighbourhood were open from 6am till 11pm on weekdays, and 1pm to 3pm and 6pm till 10pm on Sundays. Some time after the war commenced, closing was made compulsory at 10pm on weekdays, and 9.30 on Sundays. In the latter part of 1915, a further order was issued by the Board of Liquor Control, prohibiting the opening of public houses before 12 noon on weekdays, and making the following general regulation for opening and closing which was effective till the end of the war.

Weekdays: 12 noon till 2.30pm

6.30pm till 9.30pm

Sundays: 1pm till 3pm

6pm till 9pm

All public houses might, however be kept open from 6am till 10pm for the sale of non-intoxicants and food. A further order was introduced to prohibit "treating" within a certain area in and around London which included Hornchurch. Regards Steve.

A further order was introduced to prohibit "treating" within a certain area in and around London which included Hornchurch. Regards Steve.

Coincidentally I was reading at the weekend a book called "Man walks into pub", a social history of alcohol, that claimed that one unfortunate VC winner returned home to find that he had been "treated" to a drink from ALL the locals and 120 pints were lined up on the bar... His manful attempt to do them all justice very nearly killed him.

As for how big a pinch of salt to take with it I don't know...

Adrian