Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How about this for style !!

Patrick H

Read this in the RAF North Weald Debt of Honour

"On the evening of October 1st (1916?) 2nd Lt Wulstan Tempest of No 39 Home Defence Squadron (based at Suttons Farm at Hornchurch) was dining with his fiancee in Epping. Summoned to action by telephone, he rushed by motorbike to North Weald; took off; shot down L.31 (Zeppelin at Potters Bar) crash landed back on the airfield; drove back to Epping to receive a hero's welcome ... before finishing his meal! "

Now that's what I call class !!

Patrick

That's what I call journalistic licence. :)

"That's what I call journalistic licence."

Why do you say that? It's recorded in The North Weald "Debt of Honour" so I assume they had it from a reliable source

Patrick

Helluva story. Deeds that thrilled the Empire, no less.

So that link confirms Tempest and his squadron and the fact that he shot the Zeppelin down. Hopefully rhe rest of the story is true !

Patrick

I didn't think that there was any doubt that the man shot the zeppelin down, but like Clive I am a little sceptical about the rest of the story, especially the bit about returning to finish his meal. It sounds almost like Flasheart out of Blackadder

Andy

If as it say he was given a "heroes welcome" on return to Epping then presumably something would have been reported in the local paper> I will try and check. Mind you news must have gotten round very quickly !!

Patrick

An interesting epitaph for what was a mean feat in itself, the shooting doen of a Zeppelin.

Ross

"That's what I call journalistic licence."

Why do you say that? It's recorded in The North Weald "Debt of Honour" so I assume they had it from a reliable source

Patrick

Patrick,

I don't doubt that he did those all things and in the order stated but I do resist the impression that it was all done with such speed and insoucience that he returned to his still-steaming dinner. The events would have taken some time and I imagine a little debriefing would have been in order after downing a zeppelin. Dispatching people like that might even have put him off his food momentarily.

L31 fell at 6 minutes before midnight, after the combat, Tempest complained of feeling "sick, giddy and exhausted" - possibly due to severe cold and reducuced oxygen after two hours above 10000 feet.

He crashed his aircraft when landing at 12.10am. So then he scuttled off to finish his meal, I don't think so.

I'm sorry, the story is all Bull. :lol:

It does not have to mean that he returned to the meal he was in the middle of but he may have returned and they give him a fresh meal ?

Annette

"I'm sorry, the story is all Bull

Well not all of it !! His heroics are without question and maybe he didn't get to finish his meal but I'm sure his fiancee waited for him

Patrick

Patrick,

I hope so. I am sure she did and I expect she got him something to eat.

I don’t know much about the war in the air. What would have been the balance of power when an aircraft attacks a zeppelin? Would that be a solo attack? Knowing little, I imagine a lumbering zeppelin would have been almost at the mercy of a nimble aircraft. Is my perception all wrong?

he rushed by motorbike to North Weald; took off; shot down L.31 (Zeppelin at Potters Bar) crash landed back on the airfield; drove back to Epping to receive a hero's welcome ... before finishing his meal! "

" I don't care how many times they go "up diddly, up, up" - they' re still gits" ;)

DWL

"On the evening of October 1st (1916?) 2nd Lt Wulstan Tempest of No 39 Home Defence Squadron (based at Suttons Farm at Hornchurch) was dining with his fiancee in Epping. Summoned to action by telephone, he rushed by motorbike to North Weald; took off; shot down L.31 (Zeppelin at Potters Bar) crash landed back on the airfield; drove back to Epping to receive a hero's welcome ... before finishing his meal! "

Patrick

And now those who prefer to forget their history are planning to build 6,200 houses on North Weald airfield.

www.northwealdairfield.org

Howard

Patrick

And now those who prefer to forget their history are planning to build 6,200 houses on North Weald airfield.

www.northwealdairfield.org

Howard

I don’t know much about the war in the air. What would have been the balance of power when an aircraft attacks a zeppelin? Would that be a solo attack? Knowing little, I imagine a lumbering zeppelin would have been almost at the mercy of a nimble aircraft. Is my perception all wrong?

Zeppelins did carry defensive machine guns but the odds were stacked against them once they were intercepted. The attacker usually approached unseen, usually from behind and underneath and was able to rake the Zeppelin with gunfire. Theoretically a single bullet could ignite the hydrogen, but Leefe Robinson emptied two Lewis drums into his victim (a Schutte-Lanz not a Zeppelin, describing all airships as Zeppelins would be like calling all cars Fords) before it caught fire. On several other occassions airships were shot at but escaped without igniting or maybe the fighter pilots missed.

But it was no turkey-shoot for the aeroplane pilots. We are talking about flying an open-cockpit aircraft at night, with no oxygen, heating or radio and only a compass and map to navigate with. You could fly dozens of patrols without catching an airship. Several pilots were killed trying to land at night. The airship's main protection was altitude so the aeroplane was usually at its maximum ceiling to get anywhere near its target: it would be very unstable; you would be at full throttle just to stay airborne; if you altered your attitude in order to take aim you would lose height, so shooting at something as large as a zeppelin wasn't as easy as you would think. And if it did catch fire the aeroplane would be at risk also: when 2/Lt Ian Pyott shot down L34 his face was scorched by the heat.

Some have queried whether Leefe Robinson deserved his VC, based on the perception that airships were supposedly easy targets, but given the above I have no problem with it.

Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks for that. I have a much clearer picture now.

"I don't care how many times they go "up diddly, up, up" - they' re still gits"

DWL

I'm sorry but youv'e lost me ???

Patrick

Given many fighter pilot's tally ho attitudes, I would not be too surprised if he returned to the hostelry (which may well have been close to his billet). I think I might have been tempted to in his place - for few fortifying brandies if not the meal - and a bit of adoration would have been a welcome bonus.

"I don't care how many times they go "up diddly, up, up" - they' re still gits"

DWL

I'm sorry but youv'e lost me ???

Patrick

Patrick

I think that'll be a reference to Blackadder's dismissive attitude to those flash gits, the RFC pilots, exemplified by Rik Mayall....

Jim