Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Customs impounding relics?

KIRKY

When were fertilizer bombs " lobbed around the streets" exactly? Such bombs were usually placed in vehicles or rude IEDs. As one who worked a good deal in oil and gas related companies where fertilizer was made I can tell you that there was a lot of behind the scenes concern and control over how it was stored and to whom sold and in what quantity.

Take a look at some recent trials of would be terrorists and you'll see charges relating to fertilizer.

I didn't say that fertiliser bombs were lobbed around, I just said bombs. And why this stupid Americanism of IED? Can't we just say home made?

At that time people shrugged and got on with their lives. Now, when nothing has happened for years we are competing with the USA to see who can get the gold medal for hysteria.

reading about fuzes it might as well be in japanese,

can anyone tell me about the bog standard fuzes that are found in ww1 somme battlefields, are they actually dangerous at all, i thought once they had been ejected from the shell they would be safe anyway, someone else told me they dont actually contain any explosive its the gaine or tube that has any thing dangerous in it.

i know a third of all artillery was dud ( from the thiepval visitor centre film) would the duds still be dangerous when found in the ground?

go to this web site and form your own opinion :www.passioncompassion1418.com

​as for duds found in the ground, most definitely dangerous, the head/fuze found by itself, depends on what is still attached, may or may not contain powder

.regards

Bob R

• 2 weeks later...

Bob R I checked out that site but not all in english so I do not know whether you mean the fuzes are dangerous or safe! Can you clarify please? I have bought some back from France and see many for sale on Ebay some that are also cut in half!

Tony

tony

Hi Tony

I am far from being a expert on fuzes, I too have brought back several from France/Belgium/Germany, I would hazard a guess that the majority are free from explosives but can offer no guarantees, if you are in doubt, soak the item in oil, which will neutralize most explosives, if at that point you are still in doubt, treat them accordingly or have them examined by expert( which I imagine are few and far between. as long as the items are not subjected to rough handling/open flames/electrical devices you should have no problems.. hope this helps. The ones that are cut in half are probably the safest of all,

regards

Bob R.

Cheers Bob, I learned the hard way and a long time ago bought one back with the gain! Was told by an "expert" that it was safe while in France but found out to my horror it was not! Caused a minor stir in the local cop shop!!

tony