Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death of Kitchener

Andrew Hesketh

The correct initials are CMG, or the Companion of The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael & St. George.

A couple of months ago, I came across a cartoon from 1914 with the caption: "Oh Lord, take care of Kitchener, for if anything should happen to him, we'd have nobody to look after us but the Daily Mail". This was in the Bankfield Museum, Halifax, and there's a copy in the Photo Archives of the Imperial War Museum.

However, the site doesn't show the image, and I haven't got my images to hand, so I can't add it here. It was, though, of a little girl praying at her bed side and using the words in the caption.

Thank you very much. CMG makes much more sense.

That's okay.

This honour is (or was) traditionally given to senior Civil Servants, and is known "in house" by a couple of nicknames.

The CMG (Companion of The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael & St. George) is known as "Call Me God";

The KCMG (Knight Commander of The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael & St. George) is known as "Kindly Call Me God"

The GCMG (Grand Cross of The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael & St. George) is known as "God Calls Me God"!

Whilst I am a civil servant, I haven't got any of them ..... nor am I likely to!!