Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australias participation WW1

Guest Arthur6719

Edward

Surely we do not need an intimate knowledge of Australian History to express an opinion.

We have to start somewhere and the 1st war is a daunting topic on its own.

Kim's obsevations appear well founded, and are not trotted out to show conformity to universal type casting.

The opening line of this topic contains some critical indicators. Is there such a thing as an Anglo Australian. ANZAC day is often not understood by outsiders. As Kim has discussed, it is special to Australians and New Zealanders. Commemorations are held on ANZAC Day, but honour all Service Personnel of our countries.

One method of forming an opinion on what the Anzacs thought of the Tommy would be to read some of the first hand accounts. Some historians and Documentary producers may have a hidden agenda, but they often go back to primary sources.

Bye

Noelle

Sorry Guys,

When I posted this I had in mind, the battles Gallipoli, Somme, Burma, Vietnam etc. Not to belittle what did happen in our country, I was thinking more along the lines of larger scale mayhem.

Kim

Edward I did explain this. Compared to the above we got off lightly.

Darwin sticks in my mind most because my Grandfather served there and I have some melted pennies from the bombings there that he gave me.

Cheers

Kim