Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war grave registers

bernardmcilwaine

CWGC will not correct any information originally supplied by other authorities without proof of the error. What is 'obvious' to one may not be obvious to another. They will always stand by their original information unless solid proof is provided.

They will correct immediately errors caused by their own processes.

If you would like to email me your errors, I will see what can be done. However, if the errors were included at the time in the original info, they could not be scanning errors.

Terry

as soon as Ive found them again I will be in touch

All The Best

Chris

Why couldn't the CWGC sell the registers whereas Terry Denham shifted the whole lot in a few weeks? It does not seem to say much about the CWGC's marketing skills.

I cannot agree that the later laser printed computer versions 'replaced' their pre-mid 80s versions. The latter were works of beauty. The typeface, or font, was specifically designed for the CWGC; it exists nowhere else, and it fitted into an overall design scheme.

Here's a little experiment for those of you who own one of the old registers; Next time you visit Ypres take it to the Lille Gate. There you will find spotted about the gate the old IWGC cemetery signs, long-since abandoned. (Whatever happened to them?). Take out your register and compare it with the old cemetery signs. They match, they fit - they go together, as indeed they were designed to. Old registers, cemetery signs were part of an overall design conception embracing all the signs of memory including stones of remembrance, headstones, gates, shelters, register boxes - the works. They all came off the same drawing board.

Now look at one of the modern green or red laminate backed 'replacement' registers and compare that with one of the modern green CWGC cemetery signs. They look as though they have come here from different planets, as indeed they have.

I don't know who has been advising the CWGC on design over the last 30 years, but I don't think the CWGC have been well served.

Why couldn't the CWGC sell the registers whereas Terry Denham shifted the whole lot in a few weeks? It does not seem to say much about the CWGC's marketing skills.

I don't think that the CWGC has ever existed as a marketing organisation - not really part of their charter

All The Best

Chris

Quite agree with Hedley that there is absolutely no reason why the CWGC should have abandoned the original typeface. Indeed there is every reason why it should have been retained both for continuity's sake and for the simple reason that it looks superb and has matured over the passage of years like a fine wine.

I don't think that the CWGC has ever existed as a marketing organisation - not really part of their charter

All The Best

Chris

If the CWGC is not marketing memory, then what is it doing?

hello ian/hedley,i have never been to the western front so i dont know about signs and markers and till terry posted it,i didnt know there were different colours and types of registers,the reason i asked if there was a chance of them being reprinted was an idea that i had,the registers were reprinted in the format of the period,thats modernisation for you,most of my registers are the old type and they are what you say,beautiful,theres a lot of people producing rolls of honour for villages,towns,citys etc,but nobody has ever done it for a grave register,there are many who have nothing but the bare details,is there anything wrong with adopting a register and re-compiling it by adding further info and if possible,a photo,bernard